Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-15-2013, 03:17 PM

1 posts, read 2,410 times

Advertisements

Hi All,

My wife got a job in NYC - lower Manhattan and I currently work in Mahwah, NJ. We are both in early 30s, no kids and want to live at a place from where our commute would not be more than 35-45 min.

Safety, good and friendly neighborhood and bus/train connectivity ( as currently we have one car) are the things which are important to us.

I like open spaces and that is the primary reason that I am not very convinced on jersey city, hoboken.
As I was reading some other blogs, I came to know about Secaucus which kind of fulfills all our criteria but then there were some valid strong arguments against it: ( primary being its an isolated, floodprone area).

I am an Indian ( asian, if that matters). currently we live at Ramsey and we really like it here (good place, nice ppl and loads of open green space).

What do you guys suggest? We would like to stay within the 2.4K range.

Any help is greatly appreciated!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2013, 08:36 PM

696 posts, read 902,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deejay217 View Post
Hi All,

My wife got a job in NYC - lower Manhattan and I currently work in Mahwah, NJ. We are both in early 30s, no kids and want to live at a place from where our commute would not be more than 35-45 min.

Safety, good and friendly neighborhood and bus/train connectivity ( as currently we have one car) are the things which are important to us.

I like open spaces and that is the primary reason that I am not very convinced on jersey city, hoboken.
As I was reading some other blogs, I came to know about Secaucus which kind of fulfills all our criteria but then there were some valid strong arguments against it: ( primary being its an isolated, floodprone area).

I am an Indian ( asian, if that matters). currently we live at Ramsey and we really like it here (good place, nice ppl and loads of open green space).

What do you guys suggest? We would like to stay within the 2.4K range.

Any help is greatly appreciated!!
If you are looking to rent an apartment for $2400/month, I would check out Rutherford or Lyndhurst. I commuted to both Mahwah and lower Manhattan from Lyndhurst and the commute was within your timeframes, the occasional cancelled train and traffic jam not withstanding.

Old 08-16-2013, 09:42 AM

11 posts, read 28,011 times
Another vote for Lyndhurst or Rutherford. My wife and I are in a similar living/commuting situation (both working, one in Jersey City, one in upper NJ) and finally decided on renting in Lyndhurst. We haven't started living there yet -- the town itself seems small and suburban, but lots of green spaces and small homes around. Not many Indians/Asians around though, and rents for 1-2 BRs are definitely within your price range.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey