Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2013, 02:54 PM

4 posts, read 7,576 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I am 25 and moving to Hoboken. I will be working in NYC for my job. I have two dogs, small dogs (not purse dogs but still small). I wanted to know do I need a car for Hoboken? I am able to get almost 8000 for my car and that would take a lot of financial stress off of me. I wanted to know can I make it in Hoboken with no car? Also any areas for suggestion to live in...I want my rent around 2500-2600. Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2013, 04:05 PM

19,046 posts, read 25,133,775 times
Not only can you, "make it in Hoboken w/o a car", but you will be FAR better-off w/o a car.

Street parking is well-nigh impossible, and the probability of problems that you are likely to encounter when parking on the street (side-swiping/broken windows & other types of vandalism/bumper damage from those who, "park by ear"/theft of possessions) is high. Additionally, off-street parking will cost more than you would pay to rent a studio apartment in a rural area.

There are more than enough supermarkets and smaller stores in, "The Mile-Square City", as well as mass-transit, to make a car unnecessary, and, if you need to go out of town by car, there is always Zip-Car.

Old 08-17-2013, 04:13 PM

1,450 posts, read 3,437,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seekingadvice07 View Post
Hello,

I am 25 and moving to Hoboken. I will be working in NYC for my job. I have two dogs, small dogs (not purse dogs but still small). I wanted to know do I need a car for Hoboken? I am able to get almost 8000 for my car and that would take a lot of financial stress off of me. I wanted to know can I make it in Hoboken with no car? Also any areas for suggestion to live in...I want my rent around 2500-2600. Thank you!

Having a car while living in Hoboken is actually more of a PITA than anything. To say that parking is a nightmare in the town is a vast understatement. Street parking is extremely hard to find, and off street parking is expensive (if you can find it). Hoboken is fairly small, so getting around the town by foot is pretty easy. One thing to be careful of is that much of the town is prone to flooding, so do not rent a ground floor, or basement level apt. For the most part you'll find the rents are higher the closer you get to the train station. You will have more of an issue in finding housing that will accept dogs. There is a local Hoboken website, hoboken411.com that is definitely worth checking out for local information.

KoalaNJ

Old 08-17-2013, 04:27 PM

7,053 posts, read 19,216,998 times
Having a car in Hoboken makes life more difficult, not easier. Parking is a royal pain, traffic going anywhere isn't good, and too many things can happen to your car while it's on the street (dings, floods, buried by snow plows, risk of break-in, etc.). Get rid of the car and be free.

Hoboken has a bike sharing program within its borders. Also, plenty of zipcars and Hertz on demand cars around when an errand really calls for hauling capacity.

Life will be simplest if you find an apartment close to the PATH station (southeast corner of town). Your budget should find you a nice 1-bedroom apartment, no problem.

Old 08-17-2013, 10:31 PM

2,098 posts, read 3,509,756 times
You will eventually want to leave Hoboken -- either pony up the $ for car parking or take the overpriced NJT to where you want to go.

Old 08-19-2013, 02:30 PM

4 posts, read 7,576 times
Thank you everyone for your advice!

Old 08-19-2013, 02:34 PM

391 posts, read 1,471,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freshflakes757 View Post
You will eventually want to leave Hoboken -- either pony up the $ for car parking or take the overpriced NJT to where you want to go.

rent a car for road trips. zipcar will rent by the hour.

Old 08-20-2013, 08:26 AM

208 posts, read 466,190 times
I agree about not having a car - how much traveling will you do? There is always mass transit or you can rent a zip car. My friends did it for a while. If you are traveling every weekend, then you may have to balance the cost of renting vs, owning a car (insurance, cost of car like maintainence, and of course the dreaded parking, cost of a permit and the eventual ticketing and/or to happens all the time even if you do have a permit).

Old 08-20-2013, 09:57 AM

123 posts, read 235,631 times
If your job in NYC will be close farther uptown (i.e. around Times Square or north), then it might make sense to live near uptown Hoboken. There are some nice condos near 14th street and close to the water. That way, you can hop on the NJ Transit bus and it will take you directly to 42nd street and 8th ave in NYC.

Alternatively, if you are working downtown (near the financial district), then definitely try and find a place near the PATH in downtown Hoboken.

Don't bring a car to Hoboken if you can avoid it.

Old 08-20-2013, 10:39 AM

12,546 posts, read 21,335,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seekingadvice07 View Post
Hello,

having a car in hoboken is far more trouble than it's worth, especially if you're young and single. sign up for the hertz connect or zipcar, and use them as needed, and don't worry about finding a parking spot, your car getting dinged up so bad that it becomes a beater no matter how nice it was, or $200+/month for a garage spot. not to mention moving your car when it rains because of flooding, etc., etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey