Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2013, 09:19 AM

49 posts, read 58,151 times

Advertisements

So DH and I have decided that we are going to pull the trigger and buy a house. We are NY'ers..born and raised (well I was born in Bayonne but that's neither here nor there) I have resided in NY a majority of my life. Currently we live in downtown Manhattan. We love the location and our neighbors the feel of the area but we want a house. We have a 5 YO who is entering 1st grade and we plan on having one more child.

We are looking for the same thing everyone else is..safe neighborhood, good schools, + diversity (good diversity since we want our children to be exposed to different races, sexual orientation, etc). Our budget is under $400k but prefer around $350K since taxes are high. We are not scared of doing renovations as DH is pretty handy. I work downtown Manhattan and DH works uptown Manhattan so the commute is a huge concern since we have a small child and plan on having more.

Here are the areas we have narrowed down so far. Open to other areas that meet our criteria.

Montclair, W. Orange and S. Orange. I love the older homes with charm, tree lined streets, etc. and I know the area is diverse which is a plus. The schools from what we read are just OK. I know taxes are really high there however all of NJ has high taxes and we accept this is a demon we have to pay to live in this state. What I don't like about that area is the proximity to Newark and Irvington. I am also not really familiar with the area so I'm not sure what areas to avoid. Also the taxes seemed to be higher than in other areas in NJ.

Bergen county. I'm more familiar with Bergen County since I attended college out there. I think in general if we go this route we are looking at Fairlawn. Any pluses or minuses.

A coworker of mine also recommended Scotch Plains, Fanwood, Kenilworth. She has a house in SP and really loves it but she doesn't have children so is not familiar with the SD. Any input?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2013, 09:54 AM

225 posts, read 721,258 times
To get into an ok area of town, Montclair and South Orange will be very difficult on a 350k budget
West Orange and Bloomfield are probably better bets.

Old 08-19-2013, 11:53 AM

667 posts, read 1,744,677 times
That budget isn't going to get you very far with some of the criteria you have in mind, especially in a place like Montclair. I would throw in Westwood (Bergen). Fair Lawn is a pretty good bet as well with good schools to boot although you'll be restricted to smaller lots/smaller homes. Both towns have train lines and offer bus transportation to NYC.
Also, you mentioned you have a 5 year old going to 1st grade? Make sure you check the school district's cut-off date. My son missed it by one day and wont be entering 1st grade public until he's almost 7!

Old 08-19-2013, 12:27 PM

49 posts, read 58,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lfsr1544 View Post
That budget isn't going to get you very far with some of the criteria you have in mind, especially in a place like Montclair. I would throw in Westwood (Bergen). Fair Lawn is a pretty good bet as well with good schools to boot although you'll be restricted to smaller lots/smaller homes. Both towns have train lines and offer bus transportation to NYC.
Also, you mentioned you have a 5 year old going to 1st grade? Make sure you check the school district's cut-off date. My son missed it by one day and wont be entering 1st grade public until he's almost 7!
Thanks yes my daughter's bday is in November and the cutoff for NYC is December 31st so she started K at 4 YO. Do you think they would hold her back?

Old 08-19-2013, 12:31 PM

55 posts, read 171,600 times
You'll love an older home when you have to repair old floors, laff and plaster walls, anything electric beyond sockets, plumbing in general, etc ... list will go on ....

Old 08-19-2013, 12:35 PM

66 posts, read 167,000 times
Unfortunately I do not know a lot about Montclair, W Orange, or So. Orange but I have a suggestion of a town you could consider in Bergen County.

I recommend you take a look at Teaneck. Plenty of homes in your price range, one of the more diverse towns in the area and pretty good schools (the high school looks like a castle so there's some charm for you). Additionally a lot of older homes are available such as Tudors and many of the streets are lined with tall, old trees. Also, you are minutes from the George Washington Bridge and Route 4 runs through the town.

Old 08-19-2013, 12:38 PM

6,205 posts, read 7,460,466 times
You'll have to go further away from the city to get a house within your budget. Everything close to Manhattan that is not slum will be very expensive.

Old 08-19-2013, 04:26 PM

385 posts, read 1,175,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njbound2014 View Post
So DH and I have decided that we are going to pull the trigger and buy a house. We are NY'ers..born and raised (well I was born in Bayonne but that's neither here nor there) I have resided in NY a majority of my life. Currently we live in downtown Manhattan. We love the location and our neighbors the feel of the area but we want a house. We have a 5 YO who is entering 1st grade and we plan on having one more child.

We are looking for the same thing everyone else is..safe neighborhood, good schools, + diversity (good diversity since we want our children to be exposed to different races, sexual orientation, etc). Our budget is under $400k but prefer around $350K since taxes are high. We are not scared of doing renovations as DH is pretty handy. I work downtown Manhattan and DH works uptown Manhattan so the commute is a huge concern since we have a small child and plan on having more.

Here are the areas we have narrowed down so far. Open to other areas that meet our criteria.

Montclair, W. Orange and S. Orange. I love the older homes with charm, tree lined streets, etc. and I know the area is diverse which is a plus. The schools from what we read are just OK. I know taxes are really high there however all of NJ has high taxes and we accept this is a demon we have to pay to live in this state. What I don't like about that area is the proximity to Newark and Irvington. I am also not really familiar with the area so I'm not sure what areas to avoid. Also the taxes seemed to be higher than in other areas in NJ.

Bergen county. I'm more familiar with Bergen County since I attended college out there. I think in general if we go this route we are looking at Fairlawn. Any pluses or minuses.

A coworker of mine also recommended Scotch Plains, Fanwood, Kenilworth. She has a house in SP and really loves it but she doesn't have children so is not familiar with the SD. Any input?

Thanks
i'm in south orange/maplewood, and there are options for you, though not as good as you can get in other towns. surprisingly, summit has a few options in your range. summit has great schools and a nice downtown, plus easy train access to nyc. options include 52 Glenside Avenue, Summit NJ - Trulia and 42 Broad Street, Summit NJ - Trulia and 6 Plain Street, Summit NJ - Trulia.

Old 08-19-2013, 06:08 PM

10,222 posts, read 19,213,191 times
You can certainly meet that budget in a safe part of West Orange, though the house will need work. Taxes are, as you've seen, horrendous. Commute via NJ Transit can be a pain until you get a parking spot at one of the stations.

Old 08-19-2013, 06:42 PM

4,073 posts, read 8,980,712 times
I think you have targeted some good towns, but you'll definitely need to be prepared for some remodeling, etc. at your price point. Based on those towns and your description, a look at Rutherford could be worthwhile too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey