Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2013, 05:55 AM

12,283 posts, read 35,690,922 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DP1987 View Post
Oh noes my town's HS is rated a B. I am forever doomed and I will never be able to sell my home in the future....

I think I might have made the dumbest purchase of my life. I can't believe I didn't check my local school's ranking before buying.

Oh wait, my kids aren't even in HS yet.... as a matter of fact I don't even have kids.... wait a sec I am not even married... s@#$ I am still single.
If I read the report correctly, a B is actually the best score. Your purchase is solid!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2013, 07:51 AM

2,535 posts, read 6,667,644 times
You have to love a school ranking system where B is the best I love a nice side of irony with my bacon and eggs in the morning.

Old 08-20-2013, 09:02 AM

4,073 posts, read 8,980,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdstyles View Post
You have to love a school ranking system where B is the best I love a nice side of irony with my bacon and eggs in the morning.
I don't think B means best. They split the top performers into A and B; B has a bigger recent improvement, while A has been steady in it's better scores.

Old 08-20-2013, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HalfFull View Post
I don't think B means best. They split the top performers into A and B; B has a bigger recent improvement, while A has been steady in it's better scores.
i'll have to read it again (I only quickly browsed on my phone late last night), but I thought B was improvement in both areas, but A was improvement in only one. I'll look again.

Old 08-20-2013, 10:01 AM

am I misinterpreting this? "B" seems best?

Schools that had higher than average test scores earned As and Bs, schools with Bs were the ones that showed the most improvement in the last 4 years. Schools with below average scores earned Cs and Ds, but the C schools showed growth in the last year, sometimes very rapid.

To clarify:

A - Above average scores, below average growth
B - Above average scores, above average growth
C - Below average scores, above average growth
D - Below average scores, below average growth.

Old 08-20-2013, 10:12 AM

1,037 posts, read 3,162,917 times
This ranking is garbage, the definition on the ranking said it all.

Old 08-20-2013, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Praxis View Post
This ranking is garbage, the definition on the ranking said it all.
in all fairness, you can say any ranking is garbage, right?

Old 08-20-2013, 10:26 AM

4,187 posts, read 11,930,625 times
A, B, C and D are not ranking.

They are categories. The writer should have use Group instead of letters since most people relate them to grades.

The article is very confusing because of this (at least that is the way I interpret it).

So bottom line:

A and B are good school
C and D are below average school.

This article just does a very poor job of trying to summarize the long NJ performance report. (New Jersey Department of Education | Report Card)

Old 08-20-2013, 10:37 AM

516 posts, read 1,005,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti View Post
am I misinterpreting this? "B" seems best?

Schools that had higher than average test scores earned As and Bs, schools with Bs were the ones that showed the most improvement in the last 4 years. Schools with below average scores earned Cs and Ds, but the C schools showed growth in the last year, sometimes very rapid.

To clarify:

A - Above average scores, below average growth
B - Above average scores, above average growth
C - Below average scores, above average growth
D - Below average scores, below average growth.
This is such a silly scoring system. So D means your school is hopeless, C means you are improving but still suck. These two make sense and actually relate to "how students earn scores." But what the heck is with A and B? So A is for those schools who have already maxed out and are consistently the best (e.g. the valedictorian's report card) and B are for those schools who are trying to catch up to A?

If that's the case, then A is the best category right?

Old 08-20-2013, 10:38 AM

512 posts, read 1,018,462 times
So Columbia HS in SO/MW is good because its B and Cherry Hill is Bad because both HS are A? Haddonfield has a B too. Weird?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey