Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2008, 12:38 AM

1,915 posts, read 3,487,680 times

Advertisements

I just found out about a week ago that there is another 'proposed" Hindu temple on my town council's agenda. Unfortunately, this one is proposed to be put up in a very, very rural area (one of the last spots in my town that has been able to maintain any form of being rural). If this thing passes, I will have the honor of seeing the domes and spires every time I walk out my front door. Not what I signed up for when I bought my house.

This temple (should it go through) will be put on a 10 acre lot where 12 acres is necessary to house it. I have all the info on the frontage and the "sideage" - they are trying to squeeze the structure in on 10 acres. There are 450+ parking spaces recommended, 255 proposed.

But it's not just going to be a temple...it's also going to include a school and a banquet hall so every day of the week will bring much more traffic to the area. Traffic is already bad thanks to all the towns south of "us" who use our local roads as shortcuts to 287.

The town I live in doesn't have a huge Asian population - at all. This particular group is looking to relocate from northern NJ - I'm central in Somerset. Not to mention we already have a Hindu temple and there is another one (besides this one) being propsed on a tiny, tiny road about a mile from me. Again, from a community of people who do not live in this town.

Like I said, we already have a HUGE temple that was put up (domes and all) in - get this - a historical section of town. This temple is known as the marble mistake (and noone cares what it's really built out of. It's horrendous). There are 2 or three Chinese churches in another part of town and about 95% of those attending these churches jam up traffic trying to get to 287 to head either north or south on a Sunday afternoon when their services let out. They don't LIVE here.

Anyway, I've been told by a realtor that I should HOPE this temple does go up because it will only increase my property value. All that will do is raise my taxes and ruin my view and increase traffic and also increase wear and tear on the roads (a one and one half lane road).

I've already run into the problem that by speaking out against the passing of this temple to be erected is RACIST. WTF?

Does anyone else live in a town where their town council feels the need to cater to religions of any sort building these huge monstrocities while there is no demand for them by the people who LIVE in the town? What tax revenue will it bring in? Zip or Nada?

Old 03-20-2008, 06:07 AM

4,897 posts, read 18,495,633 times
i cant't say i know what you are going through,but is it possible that your town council believes that if they build it, people will start actually moving into the town?

in any case--bump bump

Old 03-20-2008, 07:32 AM

25 posts, read 186,940 times
which town you are talking about?

Old 03-20-2008, 07:45 AM

230 posts, read 666,938 times
Are you speaking about the one in Bridgewater? My sister lives in that area - the one on Rt.202-it's enormous!

Old 03-20-2008, 08:35 AM

7,577 posts, read 22,612,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyG View Post
I just found out about a week ago that there is another 'proposed" Hindu temple on my town council's agenda. Unfortunately, this one is proposed to be put up in a very, very rural area (one of the last spots in my town that has been able to maintain any form of being rural). If this thing passes, I will have the honor of seeing the domes and spires every time I walk out my front door. Not what I signed up for when I bought my house.

This temple (should it go through) will be put on a 10 acre lot where 12 acres is necessary to house it. I have all the info on the frontage and the "sideage" - they are trying to squeeze the structure in on 10 acres. There are 450+ parking spaces recommended, 255 proposed.

But it's not just going to be a temple...it's also going to include a school and a banquet hall so every day of the week will bring much more traffic to the area. Traffic is already bad thanks to all the towns south of "us" who use our local roads as shortcuts to 287.

The town I live in doesn't have a huge Asian population - at all. This particular group is looking to relocate from northern NJ - I'm central in Somerset. Not to mention we already have a Hindu temple and there is another one (besides this one) being propsed on a tiny, tiny road about a mile from me. Again, from a community of people who do not live in this town.

Like I said, we already have a HUGE temple that was put up (domes and all) in - get this - a historical section of town. This temple is known as the marble mistake (and noone cares what it's really built out of. It's horrendous). There are 2 or three Chinese churches in another part of town and about 95% of those attending these churches jam up traffic trying to get to 287 to head either north or south on a Sunday afternoon when their services let out. They don't LIVE here.

Anyway, I've been told by a realtor that I should HOPE this temple does go up because it will only increase my property value. All that will do is raise my taxes and ruin my view and increase traffic and also increase wear and tear on the roads (a one and one half lane road).

I've already run into the problem that by speaking out against the passing of this temple to be erected is RACIST. WTF?

Does anyone else live in a town where their town council feels the need to cater to religions of any sort building these huge monstrocities while there is no demand for them by the people who LIVE in the town? What tax revenue will it bring in? Zip or Nada?
You didn't happen to see any "wood turtles" or "owls" living on that 10 acre peice now did you ; ))) Go hunting for them - if you find them, let the town know..wink, wink!

Old 03-20-2008, 08:44 AM

7,577 posts, read 22,612,425 times
Jersey G - educate and arm yourself - perhaps there is a way to stop the construction...legitimatley?NJAS: Endangered and Threatened Wildlife of New Jersey

Old 03-20-2008, 08:57 AM

9 posts, read 40,751 times
Default What if...

I want to know that if it was a new church instead of the temple would you be complaining on the board thinking it was a nuisance. Would have been complaining about your view being ruined by the domes, wear and tear on the road, and taxes if it were a church? I think the answer would most probably be NO. If you are referring to the “marble mistake or monstrosity” located on Amwell Rd, then I am deeply offended by that comment because after all it is a place of worship. I understand your resentment since Hinduism is not your religion and you may not like that fact of “all these temples” being built. However, IMO that is what makes Jersey so great …the diversity of the people of this state. This is one state where one can find some of the very best ethnic cuisines in the country.

Again, as non-white I understand that you may not like the domes of other religions being put up but please do it a sensible way. Correct me if I am wrong but does it state anywhere in the Constitution, Declaration of Independence, or Statues of the Great State of NJ that since Asians or any minority that do not live in “your” community cannot come to “your” community and built place of worship. Is it stupid of me to celebrate Christmas even though I am not Christian? Is the town/county not collecting property taxes as part of the tax revenue? Aren’t the Asian churches and temples generating business to the local stores for purchasing of products they need?

If a church like this were being built, I don’t think you would be having this conversation right now. Somerville First Reformed

Old 03-20-2008, 09:31 AM

2,736 posts, read 9,672,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mac122201 View Post
If a church like this were being built, I don’t think you would be having this conversation right now. Somerville First Reformed
And I think people like you are exactly the reason why people like JerseyG feel like they are walking on eggshells.

I bet you he would be having this conversation right now. You wouldn't because you just want to be pissy and call someone a racist - meanwhile, JerseyG wants to maintain the rural portion of the town he moved to, keep his taxes reasonable, and not clog up roads he has to travel on. But I guess that makes him a racist right?

Attitudes like yours disgust me.

JerseyG, I hope you have some luck with this. Here are a few ideas...

1) the environmental impact of the increased traffic
2) the wear and tear on the roads
3) the status of any open space preservation efforts in town - preserved farmland perhaps?
4) any relationship between these new facilities built elsewhere and (statistically) the resulting effects on the townships

Old 03-20-2008, 09:51 AM

9 posts, read 40,751 times
I didn't post calling another religions place of worship a "marble mistake", "horrendous" or "montrosity" but of course that is okay.

Old 03-20-2008, 09:54 AM

2,736 posts, read 9,672,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mac122201 View Post
I didn't post calling another religions place of worship a "marble mistake", "horrendous" or "montrosity" but of course that is okay.
Because its known by people in town as being the "marble mistake", and due to the fact that it is substantially larger than surrounding buildings, taking up a huge chunk of property, maxed out to the limits....

I'd say thats an opinion which could be held about many buildings - it just so happens in this case to be a temple. Get over it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey