Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2013, 01:27 PM

12,546 posts, read 21,395,557 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
its not "math" unless you provide numbers. if you did actual math, you would see that drivers pay for the costs of driving.

i recently read an article regarding the tpk's revenue. by paying tpk tolls, that alone covers the maintenance on the tpk and the bonds on large projects, with a bit left over.

im guessing the bigger profit center where they can pull money for public transit is the bridges. gotta do some searching on that one. i knew they had plenty of money to waste on the wtc site, also not deserving of my toll dollars.
i've done the actual math. i'm not going through the effort of pulling it all down for you because you'll just have some other b.s. response to it.

i likely read the same article you did (was it titled "NJ Turnpike most profitable..."?). normal annual operating expenses @ $310M, with revenue around $990M, and the expansion from exit 6-9 part of a $7B capital project. so that leaves roughly $680m/yr to pay off the bonds for the $7B, not including any other projects that arise.

the bayonne bridge is about to be replaced at a cost of $2.5B i believe. how many tolls need to be collected to pay for that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2013, 01:30 PM

12,283 posts, read 35,677,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradykp View Post
i've done the actual math. i'm not going through the effort of pulling it all down for you because you'll just have some other b.s. response to it.

i likely read the same article you did (was it titled "NJ Turnpike most profitable..."?). normal annual operating expenses @ $310M, with revenue around $990M, and the expansion from exit 6-9 part of a $7B capital project. so that leaves roughly $680m/yr to pay off the bonds for the $7B, not including any other projects that arise.

the bayonne bridge is about to be replaced at a cost of $2.5B i believe. how many tolls need to be collected to pay for that?
yeah but the cost of not doing it is much higher (which i'm sure you know).

Old 08-22-2013, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti View Post
i think 47 years is very much the exception, not the rule. people die, downsize, move away. i don't know what the average is though.
i've lived in my house 3 years, and my first child will start school in i'm guessing the 2015/16 school year. so that's about 4.5 yrs with no kids in the system. so he would graduate high school in 2028. that means i'll be 46 when he's done. not counting my other kids, maybe i'm here another 19 years til 65? i dunno - that would just about cover the full cost if i last that long. but then add 2 more kids and there's no change i'm coming close.

Old 08-22-2013, 01:45 PM

Quote:
of course! i'm not saying it should be done. it's just a fantasy to think that our tolls + gas taxes are fully covering these costs.

Old 08-22-2013, 01:59 PM

Quote:
i've lived in my house 3 years, and my first child will start school in i'm guessing the 2015/16 school year. so that's about 4.5 yrs with no kids in the system. so he would graduate high school in 2028. that means i'll be 46 when he's done. not counting my other kids, maybe i'm here another 19 years til 65? i dunno - that would just about cover the full cost if i last that long. but then add 2 more kids and there's no change i'm coming close.
well in west orange maybe you come close, LOL

Old 08-22-2013, 02:27 PM

our school taxes are roughly $8,000/yr. i think the avg cost per student is around $11,000 for the nationwide stat?

Old 08-22-2013, 02:54 PM

Quote:
our school taxes are roughly $8,000/yr. i think the avg cost per student is around $11,000 for the nationwide stat?
lookie here and hold on to your hat my friend!

Interactive Map: Per-Pupil School Spending - NJ Spotlight

Old 08-22-2013, 04:55 PM

478 posts, read 700,428 times
Welcome to the absurd cost of living in New Jersey !!!

Old 08-22-2013, 06:07 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,672,588 times
Quote:

I knew you were going to say you weren't willing to present the numbers. look back, you are the person who was so interested in discussing how little of our driving money goes to public transit. if you want to bring up the subject, then you want to just scream "math is on my side" then you should present the math. otherwise, don't bring it up.

the article I read presented a small profit after operating expenses and debt service for the tpk. anyway, the drivers covered the cost of the operating expense, debt service with profit. SO THE DRIVERS COVERED THEIR EXPENSES.

the $2.5 billion will be issued in debt and paid out over debt at a low interest rate. im not sure what the expected revenue is. but its MATH right? something you love so much. so figure out the annual debt payments against the expected revenue on the bayonne bridge and present some of that math you love to yell about but don't like to do.

Old 08-22-2013, 08:43 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,672,588 times
Quote:
according to Wikipedia, the vzb has 190k people crossing it daily. im not sure what to use as the average toll price given the ezpass discounts and more expensive trucks, so lets use $12. that's $832 million annually. the bridge was built in 1964 at a cost of $320 million. im not sure where you guys can even consider that these bridges are anything but cash cows for the government.

and when it comes to determining the cost you pay for schools, you use all the time you are paying property taxes anywhere. whether its nj or somewhere else, as long as you are alive and paying for a place to live; you are paying to send kids to school (yours or someone elses). sure, many people will move to florida and pay lower taxes but I have no idea how to account for that so unless someone can; I don't think we can use "brady math" which is where you throw out a concept and label it math.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey