Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2013, 10:17 PM

225 posts, read 351,772 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
How am I bashing the city?

Most Dangerous Cities In America - Business Insider

You tell me how Newark is #10 on the most dangerous cities list and NYC is not even in the top 25.

I go through Newark all the time and I see criminals lurking there everyday. NYC has issues because it's a larger city but it ain't as bad as Newark. My babysitter lives in Newark and she has to be driven all the time she's not allowed to travel on her own ever.

Most of the crime is robberies, I once witnessed a live robbery in Newark and I couldn't do anything because I was afraid if I get out of the car I would get targetted too.
I don't think bashing is the right word but what you are doing is inaccurately applying these statistics to the entire city. What do I mean by this? Those rankings are an average across the entire city. That does not mean that every square inch of the city is uniformly dangerous. There are dangerous neighborhoods that bring the average up and other neighborhoods, which are not so dangerous. Yes, there is a lot of crime in Newark and no it should not be understated or ignored. That being said it is unfair and inaccurate to then apply that fact to the entire city when safer neighborhoods like the Ironbound, Downtown, University Heights, Upper Roseville, and Forest Hill exist too. Obviously Newark is far from perfect, but the people who think the entire city is a wall to wall battlefield/open air drug market do not know Newark well at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2013, 10:55 AM

31 posts, read 63,079 times
Here's some advice from someone who ACTUALLY owns a condo in downtown Newark and who has live here for the past 5 years:

Newark condo values are depreciating (my property dropped approximately 50K from it's appraised value 5 yrs. ago). However, the rate of depreciation is bottoming out so this would be a good time to buy if you can still get a good rate, can afford the monthly expenses, and if you have patience to "ride the storm" and hold the property at least for 8-10 yrs. I bought a "short sale" unit & had the ability to put down less than 20% , so that helped me build some cash reserve to live somewhat comfortably while my neighbors had to unfortunately deal with the housing market downturn.

In terms of commuting to Newark Airport, condos around Newark Penn Station would be the ideal location (Renaissance Towers, "Chocolate Factory", Bruen St Condos). However, a 2br/1bath unit at those locations would probably be priced beyond your $100K limit.

If you don't have a car and you're able to add 1 more bus or light-rail train to your commute, you could get a 2bd/1bath in the University Heights section for around $125 and pay $300 month in condo fees. Depending on the unit you purchase there, you might even get a tax abatement to offset property tax (I have one until 2015).

Hope this helps. Good Luck!

Old 08-27-2013, 01:31 PM

2,881 posts, read 6,078,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
How am I bashing the city?

Most Dangerous Cities In America - Business Insider

You tell me how Newark is #10 on the most dangerous cities list and NYC is not even in the top 25.

I go through Newark all the time and I see criminals lurking there everyday. NYC has issues because it's a larger city but it ain't as bad as Newark. My babysitter lives in Newark and she has to be driven all the time she's not allowed to travel on her own ever.

Most of the crime is robberies, I once witnessed a live robbery in Newark and I couldn't do anything because I was afraid if I get out of the car I would get targetted too.
LMAO you see criminals lurking all the time (and you know this how? You work in a prison supposedly?)

Of course NYC isn't on the list, it's the safest big city, has been for a long time. Good areas like Manhattan get grouped in with bad areas around South Bronx etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey