Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2013, 05:54 PM

131 posts, read 273,994 times

Advertisements

What is the limit for your commute time for your husband? Where exactly in Newark is he because that might make a difference (northern, southern, western, eastern parts)? I would think if he's going to be the one running home when your daughter needs to be picked up from daycare because she's sick, you'd want him to be pretty close to home. And what sort of people do you gravitate towards as it sounds like you lean more liberal? What are your professions?

What did you dislike about houses you saw in the 3 towns mentioned (other than not liking split levels)?

What are you willing to pay in taxes?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2013, 07:19 PM

10,222 posts, read 19,201,005 times
I live in West Orange, but I'd have to go with Florham Park for this one. You don't have to take 24, you can cut through Livingston over to 280 (no picnic itself, but better than 78 I think), or take back roads to 78 in Millburn. Livingston itself is another possibility but possibly unaffordable; when last I looked that price would tend to get you something with some sort of problem (on a main road, small, run down, etc).

BTW, what's the matter with split levels?

Old 08-21-2013, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nybbler View Post
I live in West Orange, but I'd have to go with Florham Park for this one. You don't have to take 24, you can cut through Livingston over to 280 (no picnic itself, but better than 78 I think), or take back roads to 78 in Millburn. Livingston itself is another possibility but possibly unaffordable; when last I looked that price would tend to get you something with some sort of problem (on a main road, small, run down, etc).

BTW, what's the matter with split levels?
I'd like to know too. I live in a split level in Livingston. I do understand cooling/heat isn't distributed evenly and it can appear dark inside without windows on the ends....but it is an affordable option and things like landscaping, etc, can make it more appealing on the outside...I get the feeling this couple is looking for some of the houses that look very "charming" in Maplewood/South Orange/Montclair, those older colonials/victorians/craftsman types....which I DO love but can't afford, alas.

Old 08-21-2013, 07:42 PM

Florham Park has only 7 homes in the price range under 550K while Livingston has about 30 options...but I don't think they will go for the style of homes there.

Old 08-22-2013, 11:29 AM

12,546 posts, read 21,395,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KoalaNJ View Post
I have some concerns regarding West Orange. WO to Morristown during rush is longer than 20 minutes, and there are safety concerns, but the most concerning thing is the taxes, which are outrageous - and I am talking outrageous for NJ! I'd suggest looking at Morristown, Morris Twp, Morris Plains, and Cedar Knolls, as well as the previously mentioned Florham Park. Those towns, being in Morris County will have lower property taxes than those suggested in Essex Co.

KoalaNJ
there aren't safety concerns for West Orange. i really wish people would stop perpetuating that on these forums.

As for WO to Morristown - i drove this route every day (to basking ridge) for 3 years. It's slightly heavier traffic during the school year, but you take south orange ave, through livingston, through florham park, and then when you hit the area where columbia tpk intersects with 24, the volume is heavier, but it's not going to take much longer than 20 minutes. I was in Basking Ridge in 35 minutes on a regular basis. so it depends where in morristown, but it's not gonna be bad.

and "outrageous" is relative....they aren't outrageous for NJ, they're just higher than neighboring towns. and homes are cheaper, accordingly. so unless you're paying off your mortgage soon, your monthly out of pocket isn't going to be any worse than other areas you'd consider.

Morris Twp is a good suggestion....but now the commute to Newark is going to be brutal. i'd rather be in florham park or west orange.

yes the towns will have lower property taxes, homes will be more expensive, so the tradeoff is you'll be in a house that needs more work or is smaller.

Old 08-22-2013, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IheartRutgers View Post
I'm not necessarily looking to save time on my commute-- more trying to save time for my husband who works in Newark. I work long hours and usually dont leave the office until 7-8 PM unless we don't have a babysitter after daycare, so I'm not overly concerned with that.

I guess I'm more concerned about the community, good schools for my daughter, and the people.

I don't think Florham Park/Morristown would significantly reduce my husband's commute since then he would have to take 24/78, while I would not have to if I take back roads.
i was thinking florham park you'd go local roads and not take 24/78 to newark. not sure how that would work out, since i went the opposite way. but that's why west orange or maplewood would have a slight edge over florham park for the newark commute. i figured florham park would be a good compromise for both of you, but since it's less impactful on your commute, i'd go a tad further east, and yes, you'll have higher property taxes.

Old 08-22-2013, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjanet View Post
I'd like to know too. I live in a split level in Livingston. I do understand cooling/heat isn't distributed evenly and it can appear dark inside without windows on the ends....but it is an affordable option and things like landscaping, etc, can make it more appealing on the outside...I get the feeling this couple is looking for some of the houses that look very "charming" in Maplewood/South Orange/Montclair, those older colonials/victorians/craftsman types....which I DO love but can't afford, alas.
i'm not a huge fan of split levels, but i grew up in an area where they really didn't exist, so maybe that's why. also - generally speaking, split levels are not the nicest "curb appeal". i know that's a huge generalization, but that's what i've noticed. different strokes for different folks...it's nothing "wrong" with them, some people just don't like em. i live in a tudor. which i like for many reasons, but there are things to dislike about them as well.

Old 08-22-2013, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Florham Park has only 7 homes in the price range under 550K while Livingston has about 30 options...but I don't think they will go for the style of homes there.
superficially guessing, i'm assuming the 7 homes for under $550k in FP are nicer than the ones in Livingston? but more to choose from could mean there's one they would like. so...who knows?

Old 08-22-2013, 01:35 PM

26 posts, read 44,039 times
Quote:
What is the limit for your commute time for your husband? Where exactly in Newark is he because that might make a difference (northern, southern, western, eastern parts)? I would think if he's going to be the one running home when your daughter needs to be picked up from daycare because she's sick, you'd want him to be pretty close to home. And what sort of people do you gravitate towards as it sounds like you lean more liberal? What are your professions?

What did you dislike about houses you saw in the 3 towns mentioned (other than not liking split levels)?

What are you willing to pay in taxes?

He is by Hillside. He owns a business, I am a lawyer. I have to travel to different courthouses, but I generally only go to court 2x a month on average, usually Fridays.

I am very liberal. That being said, our friends are of all walks of life, though. We have plenty of conservative friends that we've met in different situations, but my closest friends are my college friends. My values are more in line with a town like Maplewood than Morris County, generally. My husband is politically center.

We don't want to pay more than 12K in taxes.

Right now if my daughter is sick, I pick her up, but her daycare is by home, so its still a half hour drive. I have some flexibility when it comes to caring for her when she is sick unless I have court, deposition, etc. My husband- it really depends. Both sets of grandparents are in state- one set in Essex, the other in Monmouth, that we can call in a pinch.

My ideal town IS Maplewood but 15K in taxes is too much to stomach for a tiny house. Everything I've seen in West Orange indicates insane taxes as well.

Seeing some stuff in Westfield, actually, that's in our price range and about 10K in taxes. How would that commute to Morristown be? I'm thinking I'd have to take the Parkway to 78 to 24 and that could be ugly.

Old 08-22-2013, 01:37 PM

26 posts, read 44,039 times
I personally find split-levels fine, its my husband who objects. His ideal is a ranch.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey