Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2013, 09:46 AM

12,546 posts, read 21,403,981 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDD View Post
FG as a former NJ resident I'm with you on a lot of topics particularly concerning taxes. But be honest here when you were in real estate in NJ collecting commissions your counterparts in Fla were collecting half as much.
Like yourself I made more than twice as much money doing construction in NJ as my counterparts in the South were.

There are lots of us who made our money in NJ and now have retired to the lazy and much cheaper South. No need to bad mouth NJ. It's too crowded for me but for many others no so much.

I completely disagree with you on the quality of a public education in Fla. vs NJ.
precisely. There's nothing wrong with wanting to leave a higher tax area, when you no longer need the services (good schools) or when you're entering retirement and want to maximize your returns by escaping income tax (since your retirement savings is fixed, and you don't need to care about local availability of jobs to increase your income). And yeah - NJ is crowded. I 100% understand why people would want to avoid that. I spent my childhood and teen years complaining about having nothing to do in my area, and having to drive 20 miles to go to a mall or a movie or just about anything else. but i also have many things i like about where i grew up. Different strokes for different folks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2013, 09:53 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,698,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom1944 View Post
Captain there are non-compliant people across the entire spectrum.

i agree with you there. thats why im not sure what conclusions are being drawn when you pointed out that some people will spend money on other things while not paying their taxes. it seemed to be pointing out they are "rich" but that wouldnt really be accurate.

Last edited by CaptainNJ; 08-27-2013 at 10:04 AM..

Old 08-27-2013, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
i agree with you there. thats why im not sure what conclusions are being drawn when you pointed out that some people will spend money on other things while not paying their taxes. it seemed to be pointing out there "rich" but that wouldnt really be accurate.
i didn't see any conclusion - he just threw out a bunch of examples of how people can afford to pay their taxes but don't. i've got a friend who works for the IRS in PA, and some of the stories he tells me....it's amazing. of course there are people who are genuinely in trouble and don't know what to do and panic and do nothing, but there are quite a lot of stories about people who just are ignorant, and you can imagine how they treat the guy who knocks on their door one day! lol

Old 08-27-2013, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradykp View Post
i didn't see any conclusion - he just threw out a bunch of examples of how people can afford to pay their taxes but don't. i've got a friend who works for the IRS in PA, and some of the stories he tells me....it's amazing. of course there are people who are genuinely in trouble and don't know what to do and panic and do nothing, but there are quite a lot of stories about people who just are ignorant, and you can imagine how they treat the guy who knocks on their door one day! lol
ok, people that dont pay taxes still spend their money on other things.

i actually see taking their car as less offensive than restricting their license (and more effective). i doubt they will care that their license is suspended, they will drive more carefully. but they are going to notice when their car is missing.

its less offensive to me because its not about taking away their "privelage" that our almighty government has so kindly bestowed upon us in its great generosity. its about seizing assets to pay off a debt. so that means garnishing wages and seizing assets. i would think that any creditor that goes through the legal process of establishing a debt and getting a judgment should have similar rights. i know plenty of people have their wages garnished; im not familiar with other means of squeezing out a few bucks from people.

Old 08-27-2013, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
ok, people that dont pay taxes still spend their money on other things.

i actually see taking their car as less offensive than restricting their license (and more effective). i doubt they will care that their license is suspended, they will drive more carefully. but they are going to notice when their car is missing.

its less offensive to me because its not about taking away their "privelage" that our almighty government has so kindly bestowed upon us in its great generosity. its about seizing assets to pay off a debt. so that means garnishing wages and seizing assets. i would think that any creditor that goes through the legal process of establishing a debt and getting a judgment should have similar rights. i know plenty of people have their wages garnished; im not familiar with other means of squeezing out a few bucks from people.
I think that they do that in many cases, but it's also expensive to go through the process of seizing assets, where suspending a license is just a computer click or two away, and then mailing something. they already do this in many states with professional licenses, so why not with a driver's license? simple, and possibly very effective at getting a few more deadbeats to pay their debts.

Old 08-27-2013, 11:05 AM

9,007 posts, read 13,839,675 times
I don't agree that they should suspend driver licenses.

Innocent people like me get caught up.
I know many like that too.

I don't own a business,nor do a make boatload of money.
What happened to me was that I was working 2 full time jobs. One job#1,I diidnt fill out a new W4 form.
The previous year,my income was $40,000 from the one job.

With the big jump in income,I had no idea that I had lost any credits due to the higher income. When I found out how much I owe,I didn't pay because I counldnt afford it at the time(12,0000.
What happened,I didn't file for 2 years, because if I did,I wouldn't have the money. I filed the 3rd year,and penalties bought the payment to 30,000.
I make payments through an installment plan now.

This will hurt people like me,who made a mistake and don't understand the way taxes work

Old 08-27-2013, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradykp View Post
I think that they do that in many cases, but it's also expensive to go through the process of seizing assets, where suspending a license is just a computer click or two away, and then mailing something. they already do this in many states with professional licenses, so why not with a driver's license? simple, and possibly very effective at getting a few more deadbeats to pay their debts.
1. suspending licenses will have little to no success

2. i dont believe they should have the power to penalize someone for debts in a manner that is unrelated to repayment of the debt. why dont they suspend other rights of the person also? dont pay taxes? lose your right to free speech and to practice your religion also.

Old 08-27-2013, 01:37 PM

1,620 posts, read 3,774,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post
With the big jump in income,I had no idea that I had lost any credits due to the higher income. When I found out how much I owe,I didn't pay because I counldnt afford it at the time(12,0000.
What happened,I didn't file for 2 years, because if I did,I wouldn't have the money. I filed the 3rd year,and penalties bought the payment to 30,000.
I make payments through an installment plan now.

This will hurt people like me,who made a mistake and don't understand the way taxes work
Well I bet if they were going to take your license, you would have found a way to use that huge jump in salary to pay the texes you owed. I would love to know what $12,000 in credits you lost. You should have been filing quarterly with estimates, so at the end of the year you would have had only a little surprise. instead you probably paid no taxes all year, spent that money, and hoped you would find the money to pay it some way when it was due

Old 08-27-2013, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonofagunk View Post
Well I bet if they were going to take your license, you would have found a way to use that huge jump in salary to pay the texes you owed. I would love to know what $12,000 in credits you lost. You should have been filing quarterly with estimates, so at the end of the year you would have had only a little surprise. instead you probably paid no taxes all year, spent that money, and hoped you would find the money to pay it some way when it was due
she was probably 1099 and there was no withholding. she was probably hoping to never pay the taxes then the company sent her the 1099.

Old 08-27-2013, 06:03 PM

2,499 posts, read 2,626,763 times
jerseygal- if you are on a payment plan they do not take your license. They only do it for people who refuse to pay.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
View detailed profiles of: