Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2013, 10:41 PM

1,915 posts, read 3,486,466 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
1. Your lawyer sucks.
2. I would be looking to get out. There is probably a reason why they don't have what they need.

Why is it the lawyer's fault?

This is the dumbest scenario ever.

House with a septic system.

No one bothers to have it inspected way before the set closing date?

Whose fault is that?

The buyer's lawyer? The buyer's REA? I bet that the OP didn't want to pay for the inspection, and the seller's thought all was good, so that is why he/she is (buyer) where he/she is now.

I mean, come on....OP is looking to get out of paying for an interest rate extension. All because no one knew to have a STANDARD septic inspection?

Did the OP have a house inspection? Or is he/she waiting to sue buyer for **** that crops up over the next few years due to "non disclosure".

If you are too stupid to know that you need to have a septic inspection done on a septic system that is on the property you are going to buy....I have no words for you other than: dumbas*s

......while you're smart enough to find CD......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2013, 05:10 AM

3 posts, read 3,121 times
The town we are purchasing in requires the seller to have the septic inspected. As the buyers we wanted to convert to city sewer so we saved $1,000 inspection to put towards that once we own the property. I am just confused on how the sellers can blatantly disregard the contract, meaning the septic issue arose 2 weeks ago and they have yet to act, without penalty.
As the buyers we have made some mistakes, put too confidence in our RE agent and the sellers to do the "right thing". Thank you all for your advice.

Old 08-27-2013, 05:37 AM

11,337 posts, read 11,039,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homebuyer123456 View Post
The town we are purchasing in requires the seller to have the septic inspected. As the buyers we wanted to convert to city sewer so we saved $1,000 inspection to put towards that once we own the property. I am just confused on how the sellers can blatantly disregard the contract, meaning the septic issue arose 2 weeks ago and they have yet to act, without penalty.
As the buyers we have made some mistakes, put too confidence in our RE agent and the sellers to do the "right thing". Thank you all for your advice.
Sounds like a mess. You need to find out how bad the septic issue is. If it's a total fail and replacement is necessary, we could be looking at $30,000 and maybe the sellers just don't have the money. In which case escrow for city sewer hookup, get a temporary CO, and close. Also escrow for proper decommissioning of the septic. You don't want an unexpected sink hole down the road when the system naturally implodes.

Septic systems are a curse upon society.

Old 08-27-2013, 08:06 AM

289 posts, read 608,308 times
1. I would first call the mortgage company to find out what it would cost to extend the rate lock by, say by 2 weeks and/or 1 month. Then you will know the amount of money in question (My guess is it would be around 1/4 point for every 2 weeks, maybe less).

2. You have not mentioned what is the issue with septic system which caused it to fail the CO, it could a trivial issue or it could be a major issue. I would investigate what exactly is the issue and re-evaluate if I still want to make the purchase.

3. Considering the current real estate market and the deal you made for this home, I would re-access if you really want to go ahead with the closing or walk away from the deal. If you still want to buy the house, then it is just a question of $$ from point (1) above. You should still fight for the amount, bluff and threaten to walk away from the deal etc. but at the same time be prepared to swallow the $$ if things do not turn out your way. Is it fair? NO, but so is life.

4. To get your lawyer's attention, leave him a voicemail stating that in light of this sewer issue, you are having second thoughts about the whole deal and are thinking of walking away from the deal. That should get his attention... Best of luck.

Old 08-27-2013, 09:13 AM

1,515 posts, read 2,273,704 times
We just sold our house with a temporary CO. The buyers have 60 days to fix the issues. We put money in escrow for the things the inspector found which were very minor but on one item, very expensive to repair.

I was pretty bitter about the whole thing. We fixed everything the inspector found--very minor issues. Our township came in the last week and flunked us on a number of items including one item that was part of the original CO and had passed, lol. The inspector was surly, unprofessional and I knew the moment he stepped out of his car, we were in trouble. Really had a bitter taste in my mouth leaving NJ.

Not so sure about a failed septic system though. If you love the house, you can always negotiate with the seller and put aside enough for all the repairs. Otherwise, walk away. In our case, the buyers loved the house, repairs were very minor and the house was in excellent shape. We had a really good lawyer who went to bat for us---with the township to no avail but she did her best.

Old 08-27-2013, 09:17 AM

478 posts, read 700,661 times
I was always under the impression that a mortgage company won't grant a loan without a CO ?

Old 08-29-2013, 12:00 PM

1,559 posts, read 2,151,144 times
Not sure where you bought the house but in my town (Wyckoff) and other surrounding areas, the sellers are responsible for having the septic replaced if it fails inspection. The failed septic is reported to the town and the sellers must remediate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
View detailed profiles of: