Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2014, 07:38 PM

8 posts, read 37,349 times

Advertisements

One point that has been totally missed here is that Newark is not a tourist destination, but, is the locus of the only major remaining land-grab currently underway in the Northeast.

Being a tourist destination is not equal to being a great city. If anything, being solely a tourist destination is often a blight, as other aspects of urban life and opportunity are often shortchanged in such cases.

From what I've seen of Miami, it's not such an impressive place. Sure it has nearby beaches and year-round Summer-like weather, but, it's very, very short on culture, has little major corporate presence (i.e., good-paying jobs aren't plentiful) and has a RE market that's over-developed and seriously underwater.

High crime rate, too.

Newark's crime rate is equatable to that of Miami, but, has been inching down in recent years.

Newark's proximity to NYC, plus the fact that it's a major transportation hub, has made it attractive to companies that are seeking affordable, accessible sites of operation in the very overpriced NYC market. In recent years, speculators in New York have been snatching up every useful property there (Believe me, there are many.), stripping them to the studs and renovating them in anticipation of the economic upswing that's likely to eventually return to the New York area.

Already, Audible Books has set up shop there, maintaining a strong presence in the Washington Park area. Panasonic is in the process of moving its North America base of operations there. Prudential is about to break ground on a $400 million office tower in Military Park. Some downtown office buildings have been renovated and a handful of new ones have been erected by Route 21 since 1990. The arena is well established. Rutgers, the New Jersey Medical school and Seton Hall Law School have spent considerable money there to make University Heights a most desirable area.

The north end and Down Neck have always been stable, and have actually improved over the past two decades.

What's holding Newark back is a lack of decent housing and middle class amenities, but, this issue is currently being addressed. Considerable residential development has already commenced there, and, the beginnings of a more up-market retail environment is now manifest.

The city has come a long way since its nadir in the late 1970s-early 1980s, and it will be perhaps another 20 years before the city will reach the level it needs to reach, but, the blueprint is in place, a significant amount of work has been done, and momentum is afoot.

Miami, overrun with Eurotrash tourists and slob South Americans with money has little going for it, outside of tourism, that is economically sustainable. If this were the case, corporations would be flocking to the city, which is not the case. For one thing, there isn't enough of an educated and skilled professional labor pool there, and importing people in to fill this need would be burdensome.

In five years or so, the media will be picking up on "The Newark Revival," which is already old news to people in the know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2014, 08:15 PM

1,712 posts, read 2,905,740 times
Newark is a very abrasive city.

One night, I got lost and asked for directions three different times (in my car) and nobody gave them to me. It was basic directions (how to get to the I-78).

Old 04-11-2014, 10:39 PM

1,247 posts, read 3,023,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MemoryMaker View Post

One night, I got lost and asked for directions three different times (in my car) and nobody gave them to me. It was basic directions (how to get to the I-78).
Are you from New Jersey? This whole friggin state is like that! Part of why I am leaving.

Old 04-12-2014, 12:20 AM

3,244 posts, read 5,238,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Northeast View Post
Panasonic is in the process of moving its North America base of operations there.
Been open for months.
Panasonic welcomes Christie in officially opening Newark office tower | NJBIZ
Quote:
Newark is a very abrasive city. One night, I got lost and asked for directions three different times (in my car) and nobody gave them to me. It was basic directions (how to get to the I-78).
Perhaps you should have asked to purchase drugs. They may have been much more accommodating!
Frankly, considering the number of drive-bys, when you stopped & lowered the window, I'm surprised they didn't run!

Old 04-12-2014, 07:17 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,672,588 times
Quote:

wow, I cant believe you are still alive to make that post.

Old 04-12-2014, 08:45 AM

414 posts, read 930,545 times
Default Asking for directions in the hood?

Quote:

Newark, especially at night, is hardly the place to roll up to anyone and ask for directions.

Perhaps you should invest in a GPS. I can recommend the Garmin 3490LMT..works for me!

OR...use any number of free or cheap navigator apps for your smartphone.

You're lucky that ALL you got was lost in Newark Just sayin'

Not sure exactly where you were in Newark, but I can think of a few scenarios right off the top of my head, that would not have played well in your favor.

Old 04-12-2014, 07:45 PM

12,380 posts, read 26,842,423 times
The area by 78 is very dangerous....same with over by the Parkway...

Old 04-12-2014, 07:48 PM

3,244 posts, read 5,238,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey View Post
The area by 78 is very dangerous....same with over by the Parkway...
Mostly south side, west side & central, less so north (latino) & east (Portuguese/Brazilian).
http://spotcrime.com/nj/newark
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey