Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2013, 10:25 AM

3,859 posts, read 9,974,985 times

Advertisements

Possible mountain lion reported in Princeton resident's yard | NJ.com

Why are people so addicted to this myth?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2013, 06:57 PM

88,525 posts, read 84,705,921 times
My friend saw a deer in Middletown and swore it was a kangaroo.

Old 08-28-2013, 07:34 PM

2,160 posts, read 4,963,568 times
I saw a story on NJ.com...last year, I think...it was one of those "What is this mysterious creature spotted in ______?" (can't remember the town) stories. Turns out it was merely some guy's Savannah cat that got loose, but everyone was freaking out about leopards, lol. Of course, there are wacky stories from time to time about weirdos secretly keeping exotic animals like crocodiles and lions as pets, so you never know.

But I do know that the Jersey Devil is real.

So is El Chupacabra.

And all of us know that the Snooki monster is real.

Old 08-29-2013, 02:52 PM

1,171 posts, read 2,681,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Docendo discimus View Post
I saw a story on NJ.com...last year, I think...it was one of those "What is this mysterious creature spotted in ______?" (can't remember the town) stories. Turns out it was merely some guy's Savannah cat that got loose, but everyone was freaking out about leopards, lol. Of course, there are wacky stories from time to time about weirdos secretly keeping exotic animals like crocodiles and lions as pets, so you never know.

But I do know that the Jersey Devil is real.

So is El Chupacabra.

And all of us know that the Snooki monster is real.
Don't forget the Jackalope!

There was a recent news story about a Savannah cat that was lose in Detroit and everyone was freaking out. It is 1/2 wild cat though. If wolf hybrids are illegal I don't know why exotic large cat hybrids aren't.

Old 08-29-2013, 04:19 PM

23,536 posts, read 17,211,948 times
There are many illegal big cats and it would not be a surprise to have one set free in the 'wilderness' of NJ.

I worked at a place where F&G dropped off a bear cub confiscated from someone in Cherry Hill who acquired it out of state. Another trip they delivered a big buck that spent three years in someone's cellar. The hoofs grew into giant snowshoes... that guy should have been charged big time for that cruelty.

Animal actors owned by Steve McAuliff and his wife had a bunch of cats and lived in the Warren area If I recall corectly. They did a lot of studio work. There were other folks that had large cats as pets such as a top NJ exec who shall remain nameless though the state was aware and all was above board.

Having said that it seems there is enough evidence that PA and NY cats may vacation in NJ on occassion but I would expect that to be up in Warren, Sussex, Pasaaic, Morris.

The sourlands run from Hillsborough through to PA and are sparsely settled and would be a good refuge for cats and bears but how did the cats get there. Bears use smalll streams as highways and I guess the cats follow the bear trails.

Din't know we had bear trails, did you?

Go to Trenton museum and see the skeleton of the giant moose-elk that once roamed NJ and was dug up in a north Jersey peat bog. Instant recognition from across the room....listen to yourself ask what is that moose-elk looking thing? ...and you'd be right.

We did have a moose drop down from NY one year but he soon retreated back north so anything is possible. PA has an elk hunting season.

Read about a bounty on a big cats and interestingly the last cat was taken in the soulands that border Princeton/Hopewell.

In Nj anything goes!!! All critters welcome, many never left.

Old 08-29-2013, 04:57 PM

19,119 posts, read 25,313,763 times
+1 to Kracer's comments.

For many years, it was believed that the Coelacanth had gone extinct, back in the Cretaceous era.
Then, in 1938, some fishermen netted one of these primitive fish off the coast of Africa.
Subsequently, other samples of this supposedly-extinct fish have been found on an occasional basis.

The moral of the story is that wildlife may exist in areas where we don't expect them to be, and they may exist after we have been told that they are extinct.

Coelacanth - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 08-29-2013, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
The moral of the story is that wildlife may exist in areas where we don't expect them to be, and they may exist after we have been told that they are extinct.
The operative difference is that these cats need to hunt and eat. If there were a mountain lion roaming around Princeton some yuppie jogging through the Sourlands or foo foo teacup dog would have become a meal by now.

Old 08-29-2013, 06:28 PM

1,843 posts, read 3,057,296 times
There definitely are some up in warren county

Old 08-29-2013, 06:39 PM

607 posts, read 957,839 times
there are bobcats in Morris/Sussex County:

Bobcat eats rabbit in Green Township yard | NJ.com

New Jersey bobcat populations appear to be on the rise, officials say | NJ.com

Old 08-29-2013, 07:16 PM

There are bobcats in many parts of New Jersey, but bobcats are not mountain lions. Big difference.

Bobcat:

Mountain Lion:

A bobcat is like an overgrown housecat that will hunt small mammals like rabbits and rodents for food. A mountain lion can easily take down a mature buck-or a human.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey