Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2013, 09:07 PM

6 posts, read 13,492 times

Advertisements

I would like to ask a few questions before I proceed to buy a home in Cedar Grove. Would be great if your kids attended the public school.

Thanks a lot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2013, 05:20 AM

1,646 posts, read 2,764,423 times
And those questions are...?

Old 08-28-2013, 08:10 AM

513 posts, read 1,162,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodSchoolols View Post
And those questions are...?
This is the same poster who was concerned about the bad part of Glen Ridge.

Old 08-28-2013, 08:25 AM

19,045 posts, read 25,130,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maryanne10 View Post
This is the same poster who was concerned about the bad part of Glen Ridge.
Did he/she actually ask questions about Glen Ridge, or was his/her post another strange non-question posting?

Old 08-28-2013, 10:17 AM

6 posts, read 13,492 times
Thanks for the comments.

I am really just looking to get an African American's perspective on Cedar Grove. I love the town as an alternative to Glen Ridge and Montclair for various reasons:

- lower taxes
- decent public schools (in fact Cedar Grove's high school is ranked higher than Montclair's on School digger)
- convenient commute to NYC (I could use the direct trains to NYC from either Montclair or Little Falls)
- a better house at any budget compared to buying in either town, especially if you compare with cheaper areas of Glen Ridge, where the taxes are much lower.

That being said, my concern is that there are very few African American children in the public schools compared to the two towns even relative to the population of Blacks in Cedar Grove (per data on City Data). I am not sure if there are mostly single black people that leave there or if there are families but they use private schools. For those with children in the public schools, I would like to know if their child /children enjoyed the schools.

I would appreciate all comments/perspectives. Thanks again.

Old 08-28-2013, 07:55 PM

10,219 posts, read 19,105,710 times
Given how few black people are in Cedar Grove (something like 600), it's likely none of them are on city-data.

Old 08-29-2013, 07:12 AM

513 posts, read 1,162,614 times
There is a reason why they don't live there. That town has never been known to value diversity.

Old 08-29-2013, 07:33 AM

131 posts, read 273,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maryanne10 View Post
There is a reason why they don't live there. That town has never been known to value diversity.
This is valuable input for an African American. I hope they wouldn't move somewhere if their culture isn't valued. They are better off in the more diverse towns.

I'm in Livingston....from what I know of data and through my own drives into town, it is another town with very few African Americans but it does appear that the highest amount goes to Harrison Elementary school.

Old 08-29-2013, 10:56 AM

225 posts, read 718,045 times
I know some who consider diversity important have been steered away from Cedar Grove b/c of not only its lack of diversity, but as some would perceive it as a lack of welcoming of diversity. I can't really say for sure. The lower taxes and bigger yards are tempting, but I'd want to be sure about its community first.

Old 08-29-2013, 11:48 AM

4,940 posts, read 12,087,701 times
I would lump Verona into this as well. Same sized town, schools ranked about the same, housing prices and taxes are about the same, and also little to no diversity. I do think Verona is a much nicer town given they have Verona park and some semblance of a downtown along Bloomfield Ave. Cedar Grove is basically a bunch of strip malls along route 23. My point being, if someone is considering Cedar Grove I would recommend looking at Verona first. If diversity is important, you want to look at West Orange, South Orange, or Maplewood.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey