Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2007, 01:57 PM

71 posts, read 320,884 times

Advertisements

Ames St is not in a good area. If you want to be among other Indians, move to Paramus. Trust me, you will be swimming with Indians. And the schools in Paramus are EXCELLENT, and most of the top students are Indian. Rents are higher in Paramus of course, but Hackensack schools are THE WORST. In fact, most people send their kids to private schools, because the public schools aren't just bad, they are UNSAFE.

Hackensack is the county seat of Bergen. THerefore, there are tons of homeless people in Hackensack and a County Jail, lots of Bail Bonds places, and its just not a nice place.

The ONLY section of Hackensack that is NICE to live in, is the Fairmount Section. This is a small area, between Summit and Spring valley Rd., on the border of the towns of Maywood and River Edge.

First of all, Indians are all over Bergen County, so no worries there. I get my eyebrows done in Saddle Brook, and it is owned by Indians, and they are so nice, and I love them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2007, 07:29 PM

22 posts, read 83,050 times
Hackensack in diverse and it is like someone said, like a little country. Has has all the highs and lows, the good and the bad. I would suggest that you visit the area, see it for yourself and if get a hands on feel for the community lifestyle. You can check with facilities/community venues associated with Indians and speak to them and get a consensus of what they may tell you. There are definitely better towns in Hackensack, but I live in Hackensack, for about 14 years and I have never been a victim of crime and do not feel afraid or threatened when I travel around.
All the best in your quest.

Old 12-15-2007, 09:38 PM

4 posts, read 26,271 times
my cousin was lured into buying a new home in hackensack by the affordable price. unfortunately they are now looking to get out since a young neighbor of hers was shot outside her door. i would look elsewhere.

Old 12-16-2007, 04:50 PM

88 posts, read 333,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sentosa View Post
Hi All,

Y husband and I are planning to move to Hackensack,NJ from MD.My husband has got his job in Jersey City.We are Indians and I wanted to check with you as to what kind of Indian population are there in Hackensack.Also how is the area overall.Is the are safe for me to be staying at home alone all day. We have seen a 2 family house in Ames Street.And we are planning to take the apartment in the basement.If you have any reviews about the place then please let me know.

It is better than Union County. Take it! Mine your business! Becareful who you open your door too, and you should be okay!

Old 05-09-2011, 02:24 PM

13 posts, read 50,175 times
Hackensack is the capital of Bergen County and close to everywhere.

Most of the city is good, although there are parts where it looks like "ghetto". Schools are not that good, but they are not the worse either. For rent, it's OK but don't buy a house there. Hackensack also borders to other towns which are very good towns & good schools. In general & for most part, Hackensack is a safe city.

Hackensack has fairly large Indian population, as well as large hispanic and people from all over the world.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I also want to welcome you to Bergen County's BLUE LAW where all stores are closed on Sundays except restaurants, pharmacy/drug stores & grocery stores. Costco in Hackensack is also open reduced hours but sell only certain items, such as food and home supplies.

Old 05-13-2011, 06:30 PM

2,046 posts, read 4,935,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JennyOnTheMove View Post
Ames St is not in a good area. If you want to be among other Indians, move to Paramus. Trust me, you will be swimming with Indians. And the schools in Paramus are EXCELLENT, and most of the top students are Indian. Rents are higher in Paramus of course, but Hackensack schools are THE WORST. In fact, most people send their kids to private schools, because the public schools aren't just bad, they are UNSAFE.

Hackensack is the county seat of Bergen. THerefore, there are tons of homeless people in Hackensack and a County Jail, lots of Bail Bonds places, and its just not a nice place.

The ONLY section of Hackensack that is NICE to live in, is the Fairmount Section. This is a small area, between Summit and Spring valley Rd., on the border of the towns of Maywood and River Edge.

First of all, Indians are all over Bergen County, so no worries there. I get my eyebrows done in Saddle Brook, and it is owned by Indians, and they are so nice, and I love them.
Learn the way of the train as its the best way to jersey city. The rail pass works on buses and light rail.

Old 02-06-2012, 08:30 AM

3 posts, read 17,130 times
hackensack shmackensack, its the safest city in all of new jersey. youll be fine! i'm opening a toy store on main street and work in teterboro. i am a white guy and walk around hackensack for lunch all the time and never feel threatened.

Old 02-06-2012, 08:37 AM

1,392 posts, read 2,092,189 times
yeah... I don't know what people are talking about. You guys all really think Hackensack is that bad? Main Street is in shambles? How is it in shambles? It's fine, there's almost continuous open, running businesses along it. Supposedly railroad ave is an area to stay away from, but that's just supposedly. Most of the city seems safe to me. Certainly at least most of the city one would be walking around in at any time of night/day. I'd even feel fine walking from the ewssex street station late at night after a night in the city as long as I'm walking up the hill towards prospect.

popy, who got shot? When? Link us to the story. I watch the local news all the time and I never heard of that story.

Old 02-06-2012, 08:42 AM

1,392 posts, read 2,092,189 times
anyway, the condos on prospect ave are nice. And there are plenty of Indians all over Bergen county, so you should be good on that front.

Old 02-06-2012, 11:31 AM

292 posts, read 716,545 times
Parsippany is a good place for the Indian-American population, its suburban, affordable, and has good schools. Its farther from JC than Hackensack, but its a lot nicer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey