Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2007, 10:22 PM

5 posts, read 36,470 times

Advertisements

Hi All,

Me and my husband are planning to move to Hackensack,NJ from MD.My husband has got his job in Jersey City.We are Indians and I wanted to check with you as to what kind of Indian population are there in Hackensack.Also how is the area overall.Is the are safe for me to be staying at home alone all day. We have seen a 2 family house in Ames Street.And we are planning to take the apartment in the basement.If you have any reviews about the place then please let me know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2007, 11:02 AM

Hi Guys,

Please reply

Old 11-16-2007, 04:42 PM

6 posts, read 23,555 times
Hi Sentosa,

Did you already buy the house or are you still looking? The reason I ask is beause there are communities that have high populations on Indians, if that's what you prefer. Hackensack has some nice areas and their hospital is one of the best in the nation. Like anywhere is the US, you have to lock your doors, but it is a nice place to raise a family.

Old 11-17-2007, 08:32 AM

1,215 posts, read 3,271,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sentosa View Post
Hi All,

Me and my husband are planning to move to Hackensack,NJ from MD.My husband has got his job in Jersey City.We are Indians and I wanted to check with you as to what kind of Indian population are there in Hackensack.Also how is the area overall.Is the are safe for me to be staying at home alone all day. We have seen a 2 family house in Ames Street.And we are planning to take the apartment in the basement.If you have any reviews about the place then please let me know.
Do some searches in the NJ forum for Hackensack. I know there was one recent thread, I posted, that went into details about sections, neighborhoods, etc.

Also, where is Ames St.? I am drawing a mental blank, but I do know the street. The overall area is "fair" I would say. I can't speak to the Indian population.

Old 11-17-2007, 12:04 PM

432 posts, read 1,873,965 times
I don't know what the numbers are but with all the doctors in Hackensack, there are likely to be some Indians there.

Bergenfield, which is north of Hackensack, also has an Indian community. As well as a lot of other nationalities

Old 11-17-2007, 12:18 PM

2,541 posts, read 11,307,003 times
Stay away from hackensack it is turning into another country. The schools are no good.

Edison in NJ has lots of Indians, and there schools are better.

Old 11-25-2007, 10:46 PM

53 posts, read 224,125 times
i don't like hackensack. if you drive around, you get a very good sense of the area. Every town has a Main St. Their Main street is in shambles, and THAT should say it all. I don't know about their crime rate or safety issues. However, should I be a resident, it would not be like suburban life in MD, that's for sure. If you are in Bergen County, NJ, you don't really have to worry that you'll be the only one of your race. It's a melting pot, and you brush shoulders with everyone from every language. Are you committed to Hackensack? There are neighboring towns close by that has a better, safer feel.. with better schools. Please reconsider. Hackensack is really not attractive overall.

Old 12-04-2007, 11:11 PM

Thanks a lot everyone for the replies....

Old 12-05-2007, 10:49 AM

27 posts, read 106,147 times
Hackensack is expensive but could be VERY affluent.

I love hackensack but the taxes are ridiculous...if you're affluent they have some stunning houses and apartments...but cross the railraod tracks and it's a different story...

Bergen county has alot more to offer than hackensack....

Hackensack public school system...IS HORRIBLE...starting with their junior and senior high school.

Old 12-06-2007, 10:38 AM

36 posts, read 167,083 times
I agree that Hackensack's school system is horrible. I wouldn't invest in a home where the school system is bad. It doesn't make sense to pay taxes in a town only to turn around and pay for private school too. I worked at the medical center at night and wouldn't walk around any areas there. I agree that Edison and even Wayne have an Indian population, better schools and a much nicer selection of areas to live. Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey