Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-24-2007, 09:03 AM

1 posts, read 2,668 times

Advertisements

New to the area and considering two areas. One is either Journal Square or Westside around Kensington. The other is Heights around Griffith.

what are the major differences in these areas as far as crime and conveniences such as grocery stores, gym?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2007, 02:01 PM

7,055 posts, read 19,296,053 times
Kensington isn't far from where I live. It's a very nice area. Lots of older houses, some nice pre-war apartment buildings. A block away is Lincoln Park, a huge county park with lots of ball fields, picnic areas, fountains, and a pond. It's a very pleasant place to walk around. There are some shops nearby on Bergen Avenue in the McGinley Square area. If you need to use the PATH at Journal Square it's a bit far to walk (a little over a mile I think), but there are buses and cabs that will help you get there.

Griffith I'm less familiar with. I've been to a few parts of the Heights and I think it's a very pleasant area too. Griffith is also a long walk to the PATH at Journal Sq.

Both areas are very ethnically diverse, both have shopping districts nearby. Neither have excellent supermarkets though. There are small markets, but If you want a giant Shop Rite or A&P or PathMark you're going to have to drive to get to one.

I can't tell you much about crime. I don't feel unsafe around Kensington and McGinley Sq and don't think I'd feel unsafe around Griffith either, but crime does undoubtedly happen sometimes.

Gyms? I don't know. I'm a NYSC member and hit the gym while in Manhattan. NYSC's only nearby locations are at Harborside in Exchange Place, and 2 locations in Hoboken. I'm sure there are other gyms with locations closer by I just don't know them.

Old 09-25-2007, 08:09 AM

63 posts, read 346,085 times
Some parts of Heights are not so good. My friend lived there and their apartment was robbed.

Old 10-25-2007, 11:25 PM

50 posts, read 198,019 times
what do you guys think of the streets close to montgomery and JFK blvd.? some good old victorian houses there,.......

Old 11-04-2007, 04:58 AM

17 posts, read 22,740 times
NYSC right across from penn station in newark........JSQ area looking better, i remember the old hotel on the square(flophouse) and the dregs around the square 20 something years ago

Old 11-15-2007, 10:56 PM

72 posts, read 281,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newnjbuyer View Post
what do you guys think of the streets close to montgomery and JFK blvd.? some good old victorian houses there,.......
Those are nice houses, but most are owned by St. Peters. But it's a nice area because of the nearby college.

JSQ, is a pretty cramped area with too many damn parking rules but convenient if you work in NYC.

Westside is a very diverse strip of city. Mostly Filipino owned and operated businesses. Alot of great shops and takeout places. 4 buses that run direct to JSQ, light rail station near NJCU. Good working class neighborhood.

Heights diverse as the previous but a different group. Alot of families who've been in JC for decades here. Steadily being "discovered" by yuppies, but still great deals floating around.

Old 11-16-2007, 05:19 AM

5,818 posts, read 12,619,874 times
The heights area IMO as I'm biased after spending many years there is the best area after downtown. Stay west of Kennedy Blvd. Mostly 2 family houses and the western slope area is the best area in the heights. Best schools 27,25 and St.Anns.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey