Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2013, 08:43 AM

800 posts, read 1,297,360 times

Advertisements

Any other soccer fans crying a little inside that our beloved champions league, UEFA, etc soccer matches will now be replaces with Reruns of every sitcom out there? seriously, it was parks and rec ALL day yesterday. I love the show and i love always sunny in Philadelphia but with all the other ****ty channels out there why replace FSC.

end rant/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2013, 08:47 AM

4,073 posts, read 8,980,712 times
I'll take a wild guess that the decision was based on... money.

Old 09-03-2013, 10:58 AM

244 posts, read 597,991 times
Although FSC is gone, FOX just launched Fox Sports One, their version of ESPN. So soccer won't be going away - it will be a part of their schedule here. Speed Channel also went away - FOX is combining most of their sports networks into what they hope will be the next ESPN. Ratings have been small thus far though.

Old 09-03-2013, 12:22 PM

1,620 posts, read 3,774,139 times
Not on FIOS, everywhere. Fox killed FSC and Fox replaced FSC with FXX

Old 09-03-2013, 06:00 PM

4,940 posts, read 12,146,620 times
No matter how hard the leagues try, soccer will never be popular in the US. There probably wasn't enough demand to support a 24/7 soccer channel.

Old 09-03-2013, 06:30 PM

12,380 posts, read 26,853,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ansky View Post
No matter how hard the leagues try, soccer will never be popular in the US. There probably wasn't enough demand to support a 24/7 soccer channel.
Soccer is starting to gain traction , the Northeast and Midwest are stale. But the South & West its very popular...another 15-30 teams could be formed by 2030 including stadiums. Some teams and clubs are run really well and attract a huge following like the California teams , Portland Timbers , DC United , and the canadian teams. While some like the NY Red Bulls or the Chicago Fire , New England Revolution , and Philadelphia Union are managed horribly.

Last edited by DarkWolf; 09-03-2013 at 06:44 PM..

Old 09-03-2013, 07:44 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,705,684 times
Every popular American commercial sport revolves around high scoring and timed intermissions. Soccer doesn't have any of that which is why businesses don't like it and players are forced to wear sponsored jerseys.

Another reason why Hockey isn't big enough either even with the addition of shootouts. In order for Soccer to get popular they would have to change the gameplay significantly. Nobody likes to sit through 2 hours of 1-1 tie game.

Old 09-04-2013, 06:22 PM

4,940 posts, read 12,146,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
Every popular American commercial sport revolves around high scoring and timed intermissions. Soccer doesn't have any of that which is why businesses don't like it and players are forced to wear sponsored jerseys.

Another reason why Hockey isn't big enough either even with the addition of shootouts. In order for Soccer to get popular they would have to change the gameplay significantly. Nobody likes to sit through 2 hours of 1-1 tie game.
And don't forget the refs just randomly add time to the end of games. Makes no sense. Talk about anti-climactic.

Old 09-05-2013, 07:51 AM

12,546 posts, read 21,403,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ansky View Post
I disagree, for one, there are already other 24/7 soccer channels. There's quite a bit of demand for watching soccer in the US, it just might not be in the circle of people you know. there's a soccer match on in my household nearly 3 times a week, and we're a white/asian household. imagine what that's like for other households....

also, soccer is still quite more popular amongst younger folks, so as older generations that love football and baseball croak away, you've got to capture those younger fans. baseball is losing younger fans at an alarming rate (i love baseball, but am not afraid to admit how boring it is to watch sometimes on TV, and how expensive it is to go in person).

i believe the MLS is getting 2 new franchises this year? the league is only about 15 yrs old, and is still growing.

Old 09-05-2013, 07:57 AM

12,546 posts, read 21,403,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey View Post
Soccer is starting to gain traction , the Northeast and Midwest are stale. But the South & West its very popular...another 15-30 teams could be formed by 2030 including stadiums. Some teams and clubs are run really well and attract a huge following like the California teams , Portland Timbers , DC United , and the canadian teams. While some like the NY Red Bulls or the Chicago Fire , New England Revolution , and Philadelphia Union are managed horribly.
Portland and Seattle were drawing more fans as "minor league" teams than some MLS teams were drawing. The addition of those two teams to the MLS has been very good for the league as a whole. But where soccer will really see gains is the more recent TV deals for the top tier leagues in europe to be televised in the US. I do like seeing the improvements in the MLS, but it will only do so much. I cannot understand why the Red Bulls cannot draw a bigger crowd, given their location. It's a beautiful stadium too. Chicago Fire has a decent draw, and the Union have a very strong fan club - why do you say they are managed horribly? My cousin is the DC united coach.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey