Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2013, 06:58 AM

3,984 posts, read 7,073,485 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stoicsigma View Post
Why would you trade a cheap cost of living / better quality of living for the wretchedness of the northeast? Cold winters, ****ty people, weather, attitudes, need i go on?

Do you really want to raise your children to be turds?? Stay in Texas man, trust me.
Knowing TX is 40% redneck, 40% Mexican & 20% "normal" with blistering heat & little culture, I thought he was making a smart move.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2013, 07:14 AM

12,546 posts, read 21,395,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJHNA View Post
Exactly

Just kidding... I was just trying to make people laugh. The real reason is that both my and my wife's families live in NJ and although we are living a comfortable life here in ATX we are missing our families and want to be close to them. They are also getting aged and we can extend some help to them.

However, I'll definitely brag about being at time square on a weeknight having a chai latte
as a fairly new parent with 2 (3rd on the way) kids, I can tell you living close to family will be incredibly valuable. i don't know if you'll have family watch your kids instead of daycare, but that'll save you at least $12,000/yr per kid. and a babysitter for a night out is gonna run you at least $10/hr (maybe slightly less in austin, but doubtful) for one kid. plus, being close to family is nice once you have children.

as for the other questions - with that salary bump, you'll do fine to live a similar lifestyle. maybe you won't save $40k/yr (did that include 401k?), but you'll be close to it. my wife and i max out our 401k plus save a bit more in cash, and that's with feeding 2 kids. some stuff, believe it or not, will be cheaper here than in austin. housing won't, but honestly - housing is just a long term savings account if you buy, so it really doesn't matter as much as people like to say.

Old 09-18-2013, 07:15 AM

12,546 posts, read 21,395,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stoicsigma View Post
im guessing you're some executive @ dell or some of the bigger software companies here..someone who can command a 180K salary is def C level.

honestly dude, NJ and the tri-state sucks
C level? lol. i pity the C-level person who's making $180k in NYC. we have "associate directors" that make that or more. i know managers that make that. C level? lol

Old 09-18-2013, 10:45 AM

35 posts, read 67,332 times
Yes, I'm no C-level.. hack.. I have less than 6 years of experience.... Thank you everyone for you input and being supportive of my potential decision... We'll see where life takes us...

Old 09-19-2013, 08:01 AM

15,070 posts, read 10,089,802 times
I relocated TX (Houston, Sugar Land, Austin, Dallas) to North Western NJ (very different from North Eastern NJ) back in 1999.... right out of college

Each has a lot to offer....and I am enjoying my area.

BUT

Your $ doesn't go as far in terms of quality of living where I am.... Its MUCH worse the further east you go towards NYC. No frakin way would I look forward to trading in Austin living for Jersey City. No Way! I'm not going to say Jersey sucks... I like parts of it.. I found parts of TX insufferably boring. But to live well in the Northeastern part of NJ, you've gotta be banking a rather large income.

Old 09-19-2013, 08:15 AM

15,070 posts, read 10,089,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EBWick View Post
Knowing TX is 40% redneck, 40% Mexican & 20% "normal" with blistering heat & little culture, I thought he was making a smart move.
You have no idea what you are talking about....

Texas is the 2nd largest state with 4 different types of terrain and an equally different population across the area.

Its like saying all Texans talk with a drawl, wear cowboy attire, and ride horses.

Old 09-19-2013, 02:46 PM

20 posts, read 49,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usayit View Post
I relocated TX (Houston, Sugar Land, Austin, Dallas) to North Western NJ (very different from North Eastern NJ) back in 1999.... right out of college

Each has a lot to offer....and I am enjoying my area.

BUT

Your $ doesn't go as far in terms of quality of living where I am.... Its MUCH worse the further east you go towards NYC. No frakin way would I look forward to trading in Austin living for Jersey City. No Way! I'm not going to say Jersey sucks... I like parts of it.. I found parts of TX insufferably boring. But to live well in the Northeastern part of NJ, you've gotta be banking a rather large income.
Exactly..if you're not in the 1% in terms of income (250K+) you're falling behind in life. Taxes don't get lower in NJ, they get higher, all the time.

The place is also full of heroin addicts, from the gutters from Camden to the wealthiest places, there is alot of pain killer abuse going on.

Old 09-19-2013, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EBWick View Post
Multi culturalism is wrong.

The funny part about NJ is that the most racist and bigoted types aren't white. They're the rest of that great "melting" pot which makes up the state.

Old 09-19-2013, 05:14 PM

4,073 posts, read 8,976,235 times
There's a rock somewhere feeling lonely since the slug crawled out from under it.

Old 09-19-2013, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HalfFull View Post
There's a rock somewhere feeling lonely since the slug crawled out from under it.

The truth ain't always pretty
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey