Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2013, 06:23 PM

3,984 posts, read 7,074,430 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stoicsigma View Post
Multi culturalism is wrong.

The funny part about NJ is that the most racist and bigoted types aren't white. They're the rest of that great "melting" pot which makes up the state.
What's your prestigious heritage? My guess is there's an orangutan in there somewhere.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2013, 07:07 PM

35 posts, read 67,368 times
Quote:
Exactly..if you're not in the 1% in terms of income (250K+) you're falling behind in life. Taxes don't get lower in NJ, they get higher, all the time.

The place is also full of heroin addicts, from the gutters from Camden to the wealthiest places, there is alot of pain killer abuse going on.

Every time I hear people talking about the higher cost of living in a given city, I don't see them factoring in person's age and the family situation. No one starts at 250K+ in any city in the US... instead, you go to a place where getting to 250K is possible and then you make your way up..

I'm in my late 20s, married with no kids. I don't own a house in TX. I'll be happy in Jersey if my wife and I can start our life at around 200K of household income. That's enough for us to be able to enjoy our lives and save a little bit for next 3-4 years. Then we'll have kids and we can move again... I'm not trying to settle down in one city.. just want to enjoy what this country has to give...learn from the cultural diversity...

I was born and brought up in a small town in a southeast asian country where I didn't have my own room until I was 20, so really, all I care about is safe area and fun people around us!

Old 09-20-2013, 12:12 PM

1,319 posts, read 4,248,407 times
Quote:
Exactly..if you're not in the 1% in terms of income (250K+) you're falling behind in life. Taxes don't get lower in NJ, they get higher, all the time.
This post and other one on this thread shows that you want to come across sounding like you know something. But the content of your posts give away that you are not and not even informed correctly.

When you write things and try to make it sound factual to give your post more weight. Make sure they are correct or back it up with source. Because when you say things '...not in 1% in terms of income (250K+)...' is clear sign you have no idea what you are talking about and just pulling numbers out of your head thinking its the correct number. 250k is not even the starting line for top 1%. Even if you go purely by earned income as baseline and according to Romney's, 250k+ is middle class.

Top 1% mainly grow their wealth by equity gains such as unrealized gains on stock portfolio and through very careful tax planning by leveraging our broken tax system, therefore paying very little taxes (in proportion to wealth they generated compared to others like average Joe). Top 1%'s wealth isn't from salary+bonus pay, where most of everyone's is.

Old 09-22-2013, 06:39 PM

20 posts, read 49,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by babo111 View Post
This post and other one on this thread shows that you want to come across sounding like you know something. But the content of your posts give away that you are not and not even informed correctly.

When you write things and try to make it sound factual to give your post more weight. Make sure they are correct or back it up with source. Because when you say things '...not in 1% in terms of income (250K+)...' is clear sign you have no idea what you are talking about and just pulling numbers out of your head thinking its the correct number. 250k is not even the starting line for top 1%. Even if you go purely by earned income as baseline and according to Romney's, 250k+ is middle class.

Top 1% mainly grow their wealth by equity gains such as unrealized gains on stock portfolio and through very careful tax planning by leveraging our broken tax system, therefore paying very little taxes (in proportion to wealth they generated compared to others like average Joe). Top 1%'s wealth isn't from salary+bonus pay, where most of everyone's is.

derp derp derp...look man, its no secret that many people are re-locating from the northeast to more affordable areas in the south

the majority of the US isn't on track with a corporate career and many are struggling.

Old 09-23-2013, 05:31 AM

Quote:
derp derp derp...look man, its no secret that many people are re-locating from the northeast to more affordable areas in the south

the majority of the US isn't on track with a corporate career and many are struggling.
Most companies re-locating to the South just drop your salary 20% to match the going rate. Then you have to deal with the crappy schools, Jay-sis freaks, deadly snakes, alligators, fried food, horrible pizza, rednecks, etc. I like to visit, but wouldn't want to live in most parts of South.

Old 09-23-2013, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EBWick View Post
Most companies re-locating to the South just drop your salary 20% to match the going rate. Then you have to deal with the crappy schools, Jay-sis freaks, deadly snakes, alligators, fried food, horrible pizza, rednecks, etc. I like to visit, but wouldn't want to live in most parts of South.
The schools here in TX aren't that bad. In fact, it is easier to find an affordable house in a recognized or exemplary school zone. I don't know about Dallas or Houston, but the food in Austin is great. Of course, not par with NY or Chicago, but the local food chains and mom and pop restaurants are really really good. Snakes and Alligators are unheard of in urban/sub-urban areas unless you go to the country side or a brand new sub-urban community. Most of those snakes are harmless.

As far as cost of living is concerned, yes, I agree that you have to take a pay cut to move to South. Only certain specialized fields allow you to have East/West coast salary and southern life - those aren't hard to come by if you are brilliant at what you do.

Old 09-23-2013, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilveradoMaruti View Post
The schools here in TX aren't that bad. In fact, it is easier to find an affordable house in a recognized or exemplary school zone. I don't know about Dallas or Houston, but the food in Austin is great. Of course, not par with NY or Chicago, but the local food chains and mom and pop restaurants are really really good. Snakes and Alligators are unheard of in urban/sub-urban areas unless you go to the country side or a brand new sub-urban community. Most of those snakes are harmless.

As far as cost of living is concerned, yes, I agree that you have to take a pay cut to move to South. Only certain specialized fields allow you to have East/West coast salary and southern life - those aren't hard to come by if you are brilliant at what you do.
Y'all talk too slow, it's too damned hot in the summer, tornadoes & the Dallas Cowboys. No thanks.

Old 09-23-2013, 09:19 AM

4,155 posts, read 4,172,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EBWick View Post
Y'all talk too slow, it's too damned hot in the summer, tornadoes & the Dallas Cowboys. No thanks.
I would take hot over cold any day of the year.

I asked a friend who moved from FL, which she like best between NJ and FL. She said FL, hot, yes, but sunny all year round, which get her mood up. She has a point. Here in the NE, half of the year you don't see the sun. What I meant is, if you do a 9 to 5/6 job, add about 30 to 60 minutes commute 1 way, that meant you don't see the sun half of the year. From mid Fall to early Spring, you leave your house before the sun raise, and when you get off work, the sun already set.

While the op command a very high salary, which he will has a comfortable life in either TX or NJ, but he will be paying a lot more tax here and the cost of living will be a lot higher. All those small fees add up.

If I was the Op, I would get the offer and get back to the current employee to ask for a raise and stay in TX.

The tax (not just income tax) in NJ will ONLY go higher. It will not come down. There is a reason why business and tax payer moving out of NJ into lower tax states.

Old 09-23-2013, 03:07 PM

Two things:

1. Saving 10-15% more can NOT beat being closer to the family. Period.
2. In Tech, if you make an upward move every 3-4 years then that higher cost of living for 3 years is basically an investment in yourself. Last thing you want is to get your career stagnated or keep making lateral moves.

Having kids and family settled down kinda trumps #2 when you look for more stability, but until you settle down, you have to continue investing in yourself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cw30000 View Post

I asked a friend who moved from FL, which she like best between NJ and FL. She said FL, hot, yes, but sunny all year round, which get her mood up. She has a point. Here in the NE, half of the year you don't see the sun. What I meant is, if you do a 9 to 5/6 job, add about 30 to 60 minutes commute 1 way, that meant you don't see the sun half of the year. From mid Fall to early Spring, you leave your house before the sun raise, and when you get off work, the sun already set.

While the op command a very high salary, which he will has a comfortable life in either TX or NJ, but he will be paying a lot more tax here and the cost of living will be a lot higher. All those small fees add up.

If I was the Op, I would get the offer and get back to the current employee to ask for a raise and stay in TX.

The tax (not just income tax) in NJ will ONLY go higher. It will not come down. There is a reason why business and tax payer moving out of NJ into lower tax states.

Old 09-23-2013, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cw30000 View Post

OTOH my aunt moved down to TX to be close to the grandkids and had one summer where it was 100+ nearly the entire summer. People just stay inside in the AC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey