U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2013, 06:27 PM

279 posts, read 425,194 times

Advertisements

Moving to NJ soon. Will be working in downtown Newark. My budget for an apartment isn't much, probably $800 / month at the most. I may have to just get roommates since it seems hard to find a decent apartment in NJ for that much.

In any case, I am noticing a whole bunch of very affordable apartments in Orange. Now I know that Orange is supposed to be a rough place, but how rough is it? Is it as bad as Newark, or worse? Is it some place I should just stay away from? If I go to NYC and come back late at night, should I worry about being robbed? Are there good parts and bad parts, or is the whole city just rough?

How does it compare to East Orange, that's supposed to be a pretty rough town as well, correct? I have a friend who lives in East Orange and he says it's not bad, nothing's ever happened to him, but he's probably a bit more bold and adventurous than I am.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2013, 06:59 PM

386 posts, read 820,654 times
Not as rough as Newark or East Orange. That said, it's still no joke.

Old 09-11-2013, 07:31 PM

166 posts, read 300,110 times
Do not live in Orange. Live in South Orange if you pick any Orange.

Old 09-11-2013, 07:35 PM

10,083 posts, read 17,763,755 times
Orange is patchy, some parts are much worse than others. For some reason Scotland Road near Highland Avenue station seems especially nasty, also near the high school. The main train station isn't the best place to be at night, but it's not out-and-out deadly.

Old 09-11-2013, 08:16 PM

4,930 posts, read 11,302,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T_Sporano View Post
Not as rough as Newark or East Orange. That said, it's still no joke.
Believe it or not, the crime rate in Orange is about double that of East Orange.

The highest crime area in Orange is the area near Taylor St. and Hickory St.

Old 09-11-2013, 08:24 PM

I grew up in a tough neighborhood. I have a moderate tolerance for urban crime. On the one hand, I'm definitely not a sheltered suburbanite intimidated by a couple of young kids walking down the street. But at the same time, I've seen some nasty stuff. I've seen people get shot, I've seen people die right in front of me, I've seen people get beaten to within an inch of their life. I would obviously like to not experience any of this again.

Tell me this - does the crime in Orange tend to be mostly property crime (car thefts, burglaries, etc), or violent crime (particularly armed robberies, since that's the type of violent crime most likely to affect random people not involved with drugs or gangs).

Also, I've heard some people say that East Orange's crime rate is down significantly and that it is gentrifying somewhat. Is this true? Again, it seems pretty tough to find anything within my $800/month budget. I can do a studio apt., that's fine, I have no spouse or children, it's just me, so I don't need anything fancy. Just affordable and decent.

Old 09-12-2013, 02:31 AM

12,380 posts, read 25,545,807 times
Parts are doing better then they were , but the rent in those areas is higher then 800$...like 1500-2000$ which pushes out the poor and the crime. You should look in Bloomfield , The Ironbound section of Newark ,East Newark or Kearny for a cheap apartment.

Old 09-12-2013, 05:26 AM

108 posts, read 138,768 times
Bro if your gonna be working downtown newark forget the oranges they have nice one bedroom apts at the very end of mlk blvd. Near market st for 675. I did the same thing for 3 years. I'm white and also from chadwick st newark. I moved downtown and its nice around that part. I walked to work rite down market in 7 min...

Old 09-12-2013, 05:34 AM

108 posts, read 138,768 times
Go on craigslist north jersey apts and type in 800 for the rent and tons of apts are listed with cheap sec. Payment....they like people that pay cash because most are on section 8...I moved in for 790 done deal....everything in the apartment was remodeled new....

Old 09-12-2013, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey View Post
Parts are doing better then they were , but the rent in those areas is higher then 800$...like 1500-2000$ which pushes out the poor and the crime. You should look in Bloomfield , The Ironbound section of Newark ,East Newark or Kearny for a cheap apartment.

I've found multiple apartments online in the $650-750 a month range, but they're all in that area that someone else mentioned as being bad (near the Highland Avenue train station).

Maybe I'm looking in the wrong places, but I've found very few (if any) apartments in the Ironbound in my price range. And yes, I scour Craigslist as well as a few other sites. I assume that the Ironbound is too expensive.

What about Elizabeth? I get the impression the crime there is not quite as bad as Newark and I've heard nothing but good things about it from the people I know who live there (other than the fact that there's nothing to do, which is a VERY low priority for me).

I've also found a few apartments in Jersey City in my price range, but I'm almost afraid to look into those, because JC seems fairly desirable, so an apartment going for such a low price out there must be really shi*ty.........

Quote:
Bro if your gonna be working downtown newark forget the oranges they have nice one bedroom apts at the very end of mlk blvd. Near market st for 675. I did the same thing for 3 years. I'm white and also from chadwick st newark. I moved downtown and its nice around that part. I walked to work rite down market in 7 min...
Which end of MLK, the end closest to downtown? I have a car, how's the parking?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey