Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2013, 08:30 AM

11,879 posts, read 14,208,559 times

Advertisements

Hey guys, since fall like weather has started across NJ, I would like to ask when you are likely to grab a sweatshirt, fleece, or light jacket when you head outside under the conditions mentioned:

1. Its Sunny
  2. Its Partly cloudy and Windy
  3. Its cloudy and windy
  4. Its cloudy
  5. Its Sunny and Windy
  6. Its Rainy
For me:

1. 55F
2. 62F
3. 65F
4. 62F
5. 57F
6. 68F

I have posted my results above. I would like to hear from others.

Sorry to say, I used to live in the tropics, so Upper 50's-Mid 60's does feel a little chilly to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2013, 08:56 AM

3,859 posts, read 9,979,006 times
  1. Its Sunny
  2. Its Partly cloudy and Windy
  3. Its cloudy and windy
  4. Its cloudy
  5. Its Sunny and Windy
  6. Its Rainy

1. Mid to low 40s
2. Low 50s
3. Low 50s
4. 40s
5. 40s
6. 50s

I will typically wear nothing more than a fleece vest until it gets down to the teens or if I'm going to be outside for a long period (ie: hours) of time. I sweat/get hot pretty easily if I'm active which can be a challenge. During deer season I will pile on as many layers as I can comfortably wear since I'll be sitting for 4-5 hours and hardly moving in temps below freezing. However, when it comes to drag a deer out I'll usually take the outer layers off because no matter how cold it is I'll be sweating bullets. This discussion reminds me of this old gag:

Quote:
60 above
Floridians wear coats, gloves and woolly hats.
Wisconsin people sunbathe.

50 above
New Yorkers try to turn on the heat.
Wisconsin people plant gardens.

40 above
Italian cars won't start.
Wisconsin people drive with the windows down.

32 above
Distilled water freezes.
Lake Michigan's water gets thicker.

20 above
Californians shiver uncontrollably.
Wisconsin people have the last cookout before it
gets cold.

15 above
New York landlords finally turn on the heat.
Wisconsin people throw on a sweatshirt.

0 -
Californians fly away to Mexico.
Wisconsin people lick a flagpole.

20 below
People in Miami cease to exist.
Wisconsin people get out their winter coats.

40 below
Hollywood disintegrates.
Wisconsin's Girl Scouts begin selling cookies door to door.

60 below
Polar bears begin to evacuate Antarctica.
Wisconsin's Boy Scouts postpone "Winter Survival" classes
until it gets cold enough.

80 below
Mt. St. Helen's freezes.
Wisconsin people rent some videos.

100 below
Santa Claus abandons the North Pole.
Wisconsin people get frustrated when they can't thaw the keg.

297 below
Microbial life survives on dairy products.
Wisconsin cows complain of farmers with cold hands.

460 below
ALL atomic motion stops.
Wisconsin people start saying "Cold 'nuff for ya?"

500 below
Hell freezes over.
The Minnesota Vikings win the Super Bowl

Old 09-13-2013, 09:16 AM

32,937 posts, read 36,359,395 times
I take a jacket to the supermarket in the summer. If it's below 70 I need to at least wear a long sleeved shirt.

Old 09-13-2013, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
I take a jacket to the supermarket in the summer. If it's below 70 I need to at least wear a long sleeved shirt.
Then today must be quite chilly for you. Its 67 degrees and windy right now.

Old 09-13-2013, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adi from the Brunswicks View Post
Then today must be quite chilly for you. Its 67 degrees and windy right now.
I'm so glad the nasty weather is on its way out. I can't wait to walk out of the house in the morning to see that first tiny bit of frost on the grass-we're getting there...

Old 09-13-2013, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badfish740 View Post
I'm so glad the nasty weather is on its way out. I can't wait to walk out of the house in the morning to see that first tiny bit of frost on the grass-we're getting there...
Yup, the weather is brilliant today. Wednesday, my A/C was operating under CPP (Critical Peak Period) and didn't cool my house adequately. Today, I am leaving my windows wide open. In 2 weeks, I will have to turn on the heat overnight. Frost is usually my indication to turn on the heat.

Old 09-13-2013, 11:44 AM

I hate it when the energy controls my thermostat through CPP during heat waves . This Wednesday, they were controlling how much A/C I am supposed to use for 5 straight hours. They jacked up the temperature from 75 to 82 degrees. Did anybody else encounter this. Don't you find it intrusive when the energy company control's the temperature inside YOUR house.

Old 09-13-2013, 11:47 AM

131 posts, read 274,127 times
What happens with me is that my body becomes acclimated to each season. So, in the beginning of the fall I will need a jacket but then I will get used to it and stop wearing the jacket as much. In winter, I through on my coat. As the winter progresses, I find myself stepping out for a moment in only long sleeve and then even short sleeves at times...

I'm loving today's weather right now: sunny 73

Old 09-13-2013, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adi from the Brunswicks View Post
I hate it when the energy controls my thermostat through CPP during heat waves . This Wednesday, they were controlling how much A/C I am supposed to use for 5 straight hours. They jacked up the temperature from 75 to 82 degrees. Did anybody else encounter this. Don't you find it intrusive when the energy company control's the temperature inside YOUR house.
Who is your provider? I know that programs like this exist but didn't know that any companies in NJ were doing it. Isn't it voluntary? If so why don't you opt out?

Old 09-13-2013, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badfish740 View Post
Who is your provider? I know that programs like this exist but didn't know that any companies in NJ were doing it. Isn't it voluntary? If so why don't you opt out?
Two years ago, PSEG volunteered to provide us with an energy efficient thermostat and my dad (not me) decided to enroll in this program in order to get a new thermostat. At that time, our old one wasn't operating properly, so we decided that getting this new thermostat was worth it. We usually keep the Cool on Auto at 76 degrees, and did not experience any issues like this during the May and July heatwave earlier this year or last year. When I asked my dad yesterday, he said that they never clearly explained what CPP meant. Only on Wednesday, did I see CPP in action and understood that somebody else in the energy company was controlling my thermostat during heat waves. If I had known this earlier, I would have opted out of the program.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey