Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2013, 01:31 AM

595 posts, read 1,558,510 times

Advertisements

Just want to do some shopping and comparison. Which company do you have and do you have any experiences to share about that company or others you have had in the past

Thank hyou!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2013, 01:48 AM

19,125 posts, read 25,323,648 times
I use NJ Manufacturers Ins. Co. (NJM), the one that is consistently rated #1 or #2 in the country by Consumer Reports magazine. They offer low rates, incredibly good customer service, and prompt payment of claims

The major, "catch", is that you have to work for an employer who is a member of the NJ Business & Industry Association in order to qualify for coverage from NJM. And, only residents of NJ & PA can get coverage. Additionally, NJM is extremely risk-averse, so you have to have a very good driving record in order to get a policy.

If you can clear all of those hurdles, then NJM is the company that you should seek for auto insurance.

Old 09-16-2013, 06:18 AM

13,404 posts, read 28,723,726 times
USAA which is great but you have to be military affliated, active, retired or honorable discharged or related to someone who falls into one of those catergories.

Old 09-16-2013, 09:38 AM

5,439 posts, read 16,859,501 times
Been pretty happy with Progressive for 9 years. I had a rather new vehicle stolen once and it was handled well.

Old 09-16-2013, 10:34 AM

11,345 posts, read 16,699,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
I use NJ Manufacturers Ins. Co. (NJM), the one that is consistently rated #1 or #2 in the country by Consumer Reports magazine. They offer low rates, incredibly good customer service, and prompt payment of claims

The major, "catch", is that you have to work for an employer who is a member of the NJ Business & Industry Association in order to qualify for coverage from NJM. And, only residents of NJ & PA can get coverage. Additionally, NJM is extremely risk-averse, so you have to have a very good driving record in order to get a policy.

If you can clear all of those hurdles, then NJM is the company that you should seek for auto insurance.

+1, but they're not the best for classic car insurance.

Old 09-16-2013, 10:48 AM

1,883 posts, read 2,827,161 times
i have allstate now.

I had Geico before, and when my vehicle was stolen, they were giving me a hard time paying me back. It wasn't smooth, so I dropped them.

Old 09-16-2013, 11:49 AM

26 posts, read 44,062 times
NJM. Very happy with them.

Old 09-16-2013, 11:55 AM

595 posts, read 1,558,510 times
I have allstate right now and my premium is about 1000 for 6 months. A quote from progressive showed 530. Big difference...just I've always been with all state. Never made the change before

Old 09-16-2013, 11:56 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,687,864 times
i have geico and they have been cheaper than any other company i have priced. i looked into things like usaa and manufacturers but they are for elitist snobs and dont let the 99% like myself enjoy their fancy insurance.

Old 09-16-2013, 12:25 PM

14,780 posts, read 43,682,136 times
I personally have Plymouth Rock (aka High Point aka Prudential, lol). I have had Prudential insurance products for a long time and with everything bundled they give me a nice deal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post

NJM is fantastic if you can get a policy. I worked for a company several years ago that was affiliated, but I couldn't get a policy because I had one speeding ticket in the previous three year period to applying. At the time they required no violations/accidents in the past three years and only one incident total in the past five years. That's pretty strict, though apparently not an issue once in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by njkate View Post
USAA which is great but you have to be military affliated, active, retired or honorable discharged or related to someone who falls into one of those catergories.
Not in NJ. NJ is one of the few states where USAA will not write new related family policies. My in-laws switched to USAA a couple of years ago and when they did, my wife and I called to shop the rates. They explained that NJ is one of the few states where they can't write those types of policies. Had my wife been insured under USAA with her parents and always stayed with them, we could have kept the policy. However, since it was a new policy they wouldn't be able to write it. They said in virtually any other state it would be fine, but they won't do it in NJ.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seduflow View Post
I have allstate right now and my premium is about 1000 for 6 months. A quote from progressive showed 530. Big difference...just I've always been with all state. Never made the change before
It's generally a good idea to at least shop around every couple years. I have yet to find a company that could beat my bundled policies I have (I may pay more for auto with someone else, but less for home and umbrella, etc.), but some have come close. You can even go back and negotiate with your existing company over the rate that others offered you. Just be 100% sure you compare like to like coverage. A "rapid quote" may provide a quote for the absolute minimum coverage with very high deductibles which will be cheap, but may or may not be appropriate for you. In general, when you really compare apples-to-apples, the differences tend to be minor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey