Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-17-2013, 10:56 PM

4 posts, read 14,115 times

Advertisements

Please advise what is the best option in my case

Where are you coming from? Currently live in Jersey City, Monaco appt, NJ

Why are you moving? Renting currently (3.5k) and looking to buy to save money long term

Where will you be working ? If NYC, what part of NYC? Downtown

Will you buy or rent? Buy

What is your budget ? 500-800k

What kind of place are you looking for ? commute to work (upto 60min), kids friendly, 3 BR, 2BA, close to malls, money investment

Will anyone (spouse, children, pets) be moving with you ? Spouse, 2 kids (4y and 1y) , no pets

Do you need/want good public schools? Yes, it is quite important

Briefly describe the kind of neighborhood you'd like to live in -- safe, quiet

List three things that are important to you in order of importance -- investment, commute, school
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2013, 07:55 AM

1,319 posts, read 4,249,425 times
If school is that important you'll need to sacrifice investment potential and commute for your budget range for 3/2. Towns like Wayne, Edgewater, have good schools, quiet, safe and have 3bed for your range but it doesn't have what I consider to be good commute nor good investment potential. Baseline I set for 'good' investment potential would be something like JC downtown area, 'good' commute would be Path or bus right by Weehawken, and 'good' public school district being something like Wayne, Edgewater/Leonia.

Towns with good investment potential, good commute, and good public school for 3 bed/2bath for 500-800k is probably unrealistic. This is probably why no one is responding to your thread.

Old 09-19-2013, 01:32 AM

thank you! may be i need to look at 2 bed in JC Waldo or New port, we just need at least 1300 sf. what places have good investment potential apart from JC downtown? probably high schools will be also good in 10 years

Old 09-19-2013, 05:42 AM

1,319 posts, read 4,249,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foresterer View Post
thank you! may be i need to look at 2 bed in JC Waldo or New port, we just need at least 1300 sf. what places have good investment potential apart from JC downtown? probably high schools will be also good in 10 years
2 bed in Waldo area will be 650-800k so you can definitely find something in your range.

Do not count on JC public school district being 'good' in 10 years. Takes decades or JC to undergo huge/quick gentrification like in parts of Brooklyn did (which isn't going to happen in JC). Majority of JC is still 'ghetto'. Those kids are and will be part of public education system of JC where your kids will attend.

You can look at Hoboken as what I mean, Hoboken school district sucks too. Its gotten bit better at elementary school level than before because lot of families decided to stay instead of move out for one reason or another (personally I think a lot of them stayed because they couldn't sell their unit to move or didn't want to buy during past 5 years). Hoboken junior and high school still sucks. It'll take another 10-20 years from now for the kids in elementary to hit junior, high school age and their parents get lot more vocal/involved to help improve the school.

Something similar is going to happen at JC eventually when families stop moving away and those families start to be very vocal/involved on 'improving' school which forces gov't to do something about it. That takes decades, not 10 years in my view. Until education becomes an issue for JC politicians (therefore affecting their re-election), JC's school will stay the same.

Old 09-19-2013, 06:25 AM

4,073 posts, read 8,980,712 times
I think you should stop with the "investment purposes" thinking. If you're looking for a home for your family and it seems like you're looking to live there for a decent number of years, then make your focus about finding the best home to live in. Yes, try to make it in a town/area that will hold/gain value, but the investment aspect should come much further down on your list of priorities.

Old 09-22-2013, 08:07 PM

money (incl. proper investments) & good education are two parts of one story these days
I am looking now at JC waterfront area, Glen Rock and Ridgewood. These places looks matching my criterias better although it is very difficult choice.

C has one 10 star high school, and Cordero looks good so far for my PK girl, but i am concerned about 3 to 6 grades (private JC schools may be an option) and how difficult it will be to go to this Ronald Nair academic high school

Glen rock and Ridgewood (we looked at several houses in my price range today) have perfect schools and attractive neibourhood but looks too distant places very dark at on evenings with lack of city benefits: shops, cinemas and other 'entertainments'. Commute looks as a headache. Also I am concerned that there is too may (relatively) houses on sell now,and none of them are in perfect conditions and require some improvements, so i may loose a lot of money of will need to cell it fast.

My problem is that i may need to go to other job within two years and thus will be forced to sell this new howse.

Old 09-22-2013, 09:07 PM

4,073 posts, read 8,980,712 times
If you buy in one of the popular train line towns (and don't pay crazy money because you "fell in love" with a certain house), you have relatively low risk of losing money if you need to change in a couple years. Those type towns held their value much much better than other towns.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey