Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2013, 01:30 AM

35 posts, read 44,364 times

Advertisements

Where are you coming from? India

Why are you moving? New role at Onsite

Where will you be working? Me: mostly will be traveling but will WFH and also twice a week travel to NYC midtown

Will you buy or rent? Rent

What is your budget? $2300 including rent + maintenance + utilities + transportation( prefer public modes)

What kind of place are you looking for? a condo with 2 bed 2 bath with washer/dryer unit

Will anyone (spouse, children, pets) be moving with you? wife and kid

Do you need/want good public schools? For us? Nope.

Briefly describe the kind of neighborhood you'd like to live in (examples: families with young children, young, mature, artsy, diverse, safe, close-knit, block parties, etc):

Safe, good places to stroll the kid, proximitynear to indian stores and restaurants, no bed bugs and not too far from NYC midtown

List three things that are important to you in order of importance.(examples: nightlife, outdoor activities, rural/urban, safety, downtown area, charming, new construction, proximity to XYZ, family oriented, easy parking, short commute, etc):

Safety
Public Commute
Indian grocery stores and restaurants nearby

Ideal apartment would be a 2 br/2 ba apartment in a safe neighborhood with 45-60 minute commute to NYC and not having more than 5 minute commute by walk to nearby train station / bus stop . I don't plan to get a car in the near term. so places with proximity to public transport would be ideal in a safe neighborhood.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2013, 06:51 AM

3,984 posts, read 7,076,477 times
Jersey City (15 minutes to NYC) on PATH train and Edison (about an hour by train) are the 2 cities with the biggest Indian populations. Almost anywhere outside of Hudson County where Jersey City is located, however, you're going to need a car. So JC would be where I'd start looking. Grove Street PATH area is up & coming. More Indians live near Journal Square PATH station.

Old 09-18-2013, 06:58 AM

160 posts, read 300,950 times
Either get a really nice apartment in the Journal Square section of Jersey City where there are tons of Indians, or go to Weehawken and be extremely close to midtown. Note that Weehawken doesn't have a lot of Indians as far as I know, but Newport JC is not even 15 minutes away.

You can't afford Newport on that budget and JC Waterfront in general would be a stretch. I think Journal Square has what you're looking for though. Edison is way too far away and you would want a car.

Old 09-18-2013, 06:59 AM

248 posts, read 674,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EBWick View Post
Jersey City (15 minutes to NYC) on PATH train and Edison (about an hour by train) are the 2 cities with the biggest Indian populations. Almost anywhere outside of Hudson County where Jersey City is located, however, you're going to need a car. So JC would be where I'd start looking. Grove Street PATH area is up & coming. More Indians live near Journal Square PATH station.
Agreed.

Jersey City near Journal Square PATH station

[/close thread]

Old 09-19-2013, 08:18 PM

Hi thanks for your suggestion. i was looking at journal square and maybe grove street as i have heard lot of good things about the neighborhood but just not sure if i can find 2 bd/br with my price range in that?

i see a lot of options in craigslist. is it safe to search through that? have done my previous searches purely based on apartmentratings and rent.com so was not too sure about CL.

I need one more input? Can i get a hotel room or apartments with a kitchenette for about 4000 dollars a month i.e 130$/day near to any of the Path stations sans newark?

a 300-400 square foot room with a bath and a small kitchen should be great. do we have such options here?

Old 09-19-2013, 11:50 PM

3,021 posts, read 5,852,540 times
You asked about hotels with kitchenettes. There are several large chain hotels that are "extended stay." They'll typically have a microwave, refrigerator, stove top (some have ovens also.)

Marriott Residence Inn is the one that I recommend. Residence Inn by Marriott | Extended Stay Hotels

When you book the hotel room tell them how long you plan to stay, the longer the stay the more the daily rate will go down.

Residence Inn's often have a pool and workout room on-site.

There is a Residence Inn right next to the PATH station in the Newport section of Jersey City. That puts you just minutes from Manhattan.

Old 09-25-2013, 12:58 AM

thanks for the inputs. I guess will try looking up at residence inn in secaucus initially as the one in newport is too expensive.

Weehawken seems pretty interesting and i guess i could get some good 2 BD/BR apartments in 2000$ . whats your take on that. Does it provide a Newport type of view and lifestyle within a relatively smaller budget?

Old 09-26-2013, 08:01 AM

4,120 posts, read 6,609,150 times
Extended Stay has a deal if you commit for 3 months at $52 a night...

Old 09-26-2013, 05:38 PM

1,049 posts, read 4,020,524 times
You can afford Rahway, until you get your feet on the ground. The train station is direct to Penn Station. You may also want to look at Edison.

Old 12-11-2013, 10:37 AM

would be reaching jersey by christmas and would search for apartments in month of Jan. Our needs are listed below. I am not sure if we can find a fit for it but anything close enough would be highly appreciated.

we are 3 of us including self,spouse and one year old daughter

a) 2 BHK apartment with 1.5 Ba
b) budget - 2500 inclusive of heat , water, electricity and maintenance
c) Will not have car. close to public transportation so that wifey can travel by her own should she wish to do so.
d) Safety is paramount
e) Prefer to be in a condo or apartment
f) Washer dryer in Unit or part of the apartment complex. do not want to use public laundromat or buy it
g) Travel could vary between 30 minutes to 1 hour
f) office in midtown with occasional travel to bridgewater
g) Indian grocery nearby or through train
h) good day care facilities for a 16 month kid down the line

Now i dont know where to search. did trulia, apartmentratings, rent, CL . But not getting clear picture.

Heart says newport as i have been there but too expensive. would not mind secaucus or weehawken.Edison i feel is too far off considering that we are not planning to get a car. I am weaning towards weehawken but dont know if i will get something in my budget. was in CT earlier and things were real cheap there and here its topsy turvy.

I know i have asked a mix of questions on both apartments and areas. hoping that someone provides me
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey