Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2007, 11:50 AM

5,616 posts, read 15,514,252 times

Advertisements

My Mom and Dad absolutely love NJ!!!!! They are crazy in love with there Doctors and Hospital. The Hospital and Doctors saved my Mother's life, she was alsmost dead and I mean dead. SO she told me today that she has been feeling horrible, ran to her Doctor and getting better!!!!! They love NJ and will never ever leave their DOCTORS!!! The best in the Country to them!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2007, 01:37 PM

1,363 posts, read 5,926,367 times
Made me smile. Glad to hear your mom is feeling better! Hope they continue to love it here!

Old 11-16-2007, 01:47 PM

12,283 posts, read 35,677,666 times
<--- me fainting! LOL

But you do bring up an important point though. This is something that needs to be taken into account when you relocate. Access to quality medical care is paramount, especially to retirees. Of course there's fine care to be had anywhere, but you're more likely to find premier cancer centers, etc in major metropolitan areas. It's nice to hear good things about doctors though, all too often you hear the negative....

Old 11-16-2007, 03:00 PM

5,616 posts, read 15,514,252 times
Well NJ has some of the best doctors in the Country, and add Hospitals to that list too!!!!

Old 11-16-2007, 03:47 PM

7,079 posts, read 37,932,494 times
Well, NO. NJ doesn't have any of the best hospitals in the country. Sorry to burst your balloon.

Old 11-16-2007, 04:59 PM

9,124 posts, read 36,369,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viralmd View Post
Well, NO. NJ doesn't have any of the best hospitals in the country. Sorry to burst your balloon.
Care to elaborate? I ask because I've heard the "NJ has the best medical care in the country" line from numerous people, but no one ever had hard data to back it up. If you've got something that shows the contrary, I'm sure alot of people would like to see it.

Old 11-16-2007, 05:25 PM

1,453 posts, read 4,929,134 times
If you compare say the hospitals in Northern NJ to hospitals in NYC-well you have a very valid point. NJ does not have many renowned medical centers. But for emergency cirumstances NJ is much much better overall than any number of places. Emergency rooms in the city are pretty nightmarish even in the best hospitals. Doctors in the city actually tell their family members that if possible in emergeny situations they should go to hospitals on the other side of the hudson. For a true emergency they would not have the time of course but that is very telling. For major surgery people tend to prefer NYC or Philly hospitals. Philly does have some great hospitals. But most of their ER's are overwhelmed as well.

Old 11-16-2007, 07:10 PM

85 posts, read 304,960 times
Cogratulations on your mom's 2nd chance at good health. What a blessing. After all, isn't that all that matters?

Old 11-16-2007, 07:24 PM

9,124 posts, read 36,369,826 times
Well, neither of those links prove anything- in the first link, RWJ received the "highest rating" in Cancer Performance (they were one of many that did)- they weren't the highest rated. The second link is to New York Magazine's listing of the best hospitals in the NYC/NJ area- that doesn't compare them to anything other than themselves.

If you want to find some statistics that compare NJ/NYC facilities to other facilities around the country, see the link below. You'll find that no NJ/NYC hospitals made USN&WR's 18-member "Honor Roll" (which looks for high scores in 6 specialties). I actually found the link to that report in the first article linked above, when that article mentioned that RWJ was ranked 26th and 50th in the nation in the report.

Overall, The Kessler Institute ranked #2 in the Rehabilitation category, and the only other NJ hospitals that made the ranks of the top 50 in any category at all were RWJ in New Brunswick and Hackensack UMC, with RWJ getting to #26 in two categories, and Hackensack getting to #33 in two (and a few rankings for them in the 40's).

Best Hospitals – US News Best Hospitals
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey