Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-20-2007, 09:28 AM

828 posts, read 3,137,695 times

Advertisements

<hitting myself in the head for staying in this thread>

I leave the thread for a few hours and now someone is calling a teachers job PART TIME???????
I know why there aren't many teachers here defending themselves...
Because they are too smart to get involved in this conversation and, unlike some here, they cannot surf the net during their work hours!

As for liking one sport over another because their millionaires are paid less...
Hockey?
The sport that their commissioner LOCKED OUT the entire league because he wanted to drive down salaries so that he could save his best friends (Owners) millions of dollars while they never had to claim television revenue as part of the money that they made in the NHL??? (Ouch, talk about long run-on sentences)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2007, 09:29 AM

12,200 posts, read 18,369,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badfish740 View Post
What I, and others, are saying is that if you teach in New Jersey you should be able to make a salary that will allow you to live there too!

Pay part-time wages, get part time help.
That's a true statement - you get what you pay for. Here beginning teachers start around 32K - and these are supposed to be guidelines for the entire quantity BUT it's public knowledge that teachers who teach at schools that are thriving make more than the teachers at the schools that aren't. Plus A & B school teachers get incentive bonuses

So basically what happens, is that people go to the F schools for three or four years, whatever the requirement is for them to pay back your student loans and then they take their experience and go to the A & B schoold where they can easily gain 7 or 8 more thousand a year.

So what happens to this F schools? They get an influx of teachers who have no plans on staying there and probably could care less about improving the status of the school. Now are they bad people? No, they're just doing what they have to pay their bills. It's doubtful that a first year teacher can get placed at an A or B school with only a BA.

I'm not in politics and don't claim to be, but I'm not concerned with how much teachers get paid and how much time they have off. I'm concerned that every year more and more children are reading below their grade level. I'm concerned that every year the drop-out rate increases and I'm concerned that the number of minority scholarships are decreasing, while college costs are steadily rising. Because regardless of how much a teacher gets paid, in 10 or 15 years all those kids who can't read and write are going to be adults and then what are they going to do? Collect welfare? End up in prison? In a homeless shelter?

Okay who's going to yell at me first?

Old 11-20-2007, 09:37 AM

12,200 posts, read 18,369,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fischfan13 View Post
<hitting myself in the head for staying in this thread>

Because unlike some here, they cannot surf the net during their work hours!
LOL I was thinking the same thing.

625 posts, read 3,634,990 times
I am not going to yell at you. I actually agree and understand where you are coming from.

3,859 posts, read 9,974,152 times
fischfan-Easy pal I'm on your side

Quote:
I know why there aren't many teachers here defending themselves...Because they are too smart to get involved in this conversation and, unlike some here, they cannot surf the net during their work hours!
Very true. I just got a call from my fiancee (she has 10:30 lunch) and I told her that I'm doing her profession a favor by defending it valiantly online...lol

Quote:
As for liking one sport over another because their millionaires are paid less...
Hockey?
The sport that their commissioner LOCKED OUT the entire league because he wanted to drive down salaries so that he could save his best friends (Owners) millions of dollars while they never had to claim television revenue as part of the money that they made in the NHL??? (Ouch, talk about long run-on sentences)
I just don't like cocky-pretty-boy-juicehead baseball players There aren't many millionaire hockey players either. The Great One and Messier come to mind, but there aren't many more.

Old 11-20-2007, 09:47 AM

2,736 posts, read 9,667,253 times
Quote:
Why penalize the teachers for the administration/legislature's waste, fraud, and abuse? People seem to want to hold the teachers' feet to the fire and give them higher ups and elected officials a free pass.
UPS is not paid for by my taxes.

And who wants to give higher ups and elected officials a pass? Thats why I write letters. That isn't to say, though, that I think what teachers are being given to start is reasonable - so yes, I will take issue there also.

Old 11-20-2007, 10:15 AM

6,175 posts, read 12,933,690 times
Quote:
There aren't many millionaire hockey players either. The Great One and Messier come to mind, but there aren't many more.
While not nearly as well paid as the top baseball players, the top NHL players make a nice living, and there are plenty of millionaire hockey players. According to this chart in USA Today (http://asp.usatoday.com/sports/hockey/nhl/salaries/top25.aspx?year=2006-07 - broken link), the top 25 NHL salaries are all $5.75 million PER YEAR or more. And that was for last season.

Old 11-20-2007, 10:24 AM

9,374 posts, read 20,787,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti View Post
Here we go folks - let's compare a first year teacher with A-ROD!

YOUR ANNUAL PAY: $50,000

A-ROD is expected to sign a ten-year contract with the Yankees with a base salary of $27.5 million per year. It would take you 550.0 years to earn that much.

A-ROD would make $2,291,667 per month. It would take you 45.8 years to earn that much.

A-ROD would make $528,846 per week. It would take you 10.6 years to earn that much.

A-ROD would make $169,753 per game. It would take you 3.4 years to earn that much.

A-ROD would make $38,842 per plate appearance. A-ROD earns your annual salary every 1.3 times up.

A-ROD would make $18,861 per inning. A-ROD earns your annual salary every 2.7 innings.

Courtesy of the AROD-OMETER: For Perspective, Our New AROD-OMETER - NJ.com: Stat Attack
There is one anecdote for this: STOP WATCHING AND ATTENDING THE GAMES When attendance figures are zero at these games, I'll be a happy guy. Looks like I'll be waiting till my grave though. But there are radio talk shows and 30 pages of newspapers every day dedicated to these meaningless activities. However, as long as they garner enough meaning that someone is compelled to shell out 60, 70, 80 dollars, whatever, a month, for a premium sports package on cable or satellite, and as long as someone feels it is worth 3 hours of distraction (enough distraction to let this person forget about how badly they are getting screwed by a system of government that threw him/her overboard 40 years ago) to shell out 40 bucks for a ticket, 20 bucks for a parking pass, 9 dollars for a 16 oz watered down second rate quality beer and a 5 dollar soggy hot dog, people such as Rodriguez will be overcompensated for doing something that contributes zero to real society. In any fair system, he'd be getting paid 15 dollars an hour for picking up my garbage cans twice a week. This is what the masses like to do: use sports and entertainment as a distraction, while those few who are sharp and focused laugh all the way to the bank. It's nothing out of the ordinary, it's been going on since the Roman Empire, it just seems nowadays to have more relevancy to the masses than any time I can remember.

"Never understood that it ain't no good, you shouldn't let other people get your kicks for you" - Bob Dylan, 1965.

Old 11-20-2007, 10:31 AM

3,859 posts, read 9,974,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CuCullin View Post
UPS is not paid for by my taxes.
Well then let's cut all around. If you're fighting fires in a town with nothing but single story ranch homes surely you could do you job with a lawn tractor, a garden hose, and an aluminum extension ladder The average fire apparatus costs a half million dollars. Wasted taxpayer money if ya ask me

Old 11-20-2007, 10:33 AM

9,124 posts, read 36,369,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike0421 View Post
There is one anecdote for this: STOP WATCHING AND ATTENDING THE GAMES When attendance figures are zero at these games, I'll be a happy guy. Looks like I'll be waiting till my grave though. But there are radio talk shows and 30 pages of newspapers every day dedicated to these meaningless activities. However, as long as they garner enough meaning that someone is compelled to shell out 60, 70, 80 dollars, whatever, a month, for a premium sports package on cable or satellite, and as long as someone feels it is worth 3 hours of distraction (enough distraction to let this person forget about how badly they are getting screwed by a system of government that threw him/her overboard 40 years ago) to shell out 40 bucks for a ticket, 20 bucks for a parking pass, 9 dollars for a 16 oz watered down second rate quality beer and a 5 dollar soggy hot dog, people such as Rodriguez will be overcompensated for doing something that contributes zero to real society. In any fair system, he'd be getting paid 15 dollars an hour for picking up my garbage cans twice a week. This is what the masses like to do: use sports and entertainment as a distraction, while those few who are sharp and focused laugh all the way to the bank. It's nothing out of the ordinary, it's been going on since the Roman Empire, it just seems nowadays to have more relevancy to the masses than any time I can remember.

"Never understood that it ain't no good, you shouldn't let other people get your kicks for you" - Bob Dylan, 1965.
EXACTLY!!! You can't complain about the salaries that these steroid junkies make unless you make absolutely no contribution to the cause. And remember- if the owners can afford to pay the players that much, can you imagine how much the owners themselves are making??? Maybe you all should be griping about the salaries of baseball team owners instead. And it's all because people are stupid enough to pay $100 for a Yankees jersey, or thousands of dollars for an autographed baseball.

In the words of the famous philosopher Carlos Mencia- "dee dee dee!!!!"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey