Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-20-2007, 02:57 PM

12,283 posts, read 35,622,398 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pittnurse70 View Post
Above are a few examples. Lots of animosity towards the parents.

i'm not sure why you're quoting me - i'm not a teacher, you couldn't pay me enough to be one. no one in my family is either. i have no dog in this hunt other than realizing the value and importance of teachers in our society. unlike others, i don't define my worth by trying to devalue other professions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2007, 02:59 PM

2,885 posts, read 1,974,850 times
Pittnurse

I would love to see how you would tolerate these parents. You have no clue. They are not the parents of yesteryear. The teachers posting here were not saying "Poor me"; they were responding to posts that said that teachers had an easy life/job.

Old 11-20-2007, 03:06 PM

3,859 posts, read 9,951,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lillietta View Post
I would love to see how you would tolerate these parents. You have no clue. They are not the parents of yesteryear. The teachers posting here were not saying "Poor me"; they were responding to posts that said that teachers had an easy life/job.
To be fair, Pittnurse shouldn't have to deal with the parents/kids teachers put up with, and teachers shouldn't have to put up with the patients Pittnurse puts up with. Each profession has its unique challenges and it's an apples to oranges comparison. Tahiti hit the nail on the head. There is no logic in devaluing someone else's profession in defense of your own. I sit behind a desk all day for my job and my father drives a truck and delivers boxes. I wouldn't want to do his job and he wouldn't want to do mine, but we respect each other's work.

Old 11-20-2007, 03:11 PM

5,818 posts, read 12,593,276 times
Well we agree on one thing, disagreeing with each other.

Old 11-20-2007, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JERSEY MAN View Post
Well we agree on one thing, disagreeing with each other.
Well you always have the option of joining teachers on easy street. After all, they're merely mouth breathing, knuckle dragging idiots who are about two IQ points above flinging feces at their reflection right? Despite all that they get paid phenomenal sums of money for practically no work!!! Why would anyone choose any other profession? When are you becoming a teacher Jersey Man?

Old 11-20-2007, 03:22 PM

90,316 posts, read 120,407,718 times
Quote:
You presented teaching as some sort of effortless dream job that required no thought or dedication whatsoever.
I do not believe I did that. I did say I thought I could fulfil the job requirements if it was my job, meaning, if I had that education. I don't think you could do mine, either, without studying nursing. If you went to nursing school, you could do it.

I work in a pediatric office. I know today's parents. Our "mantra" is that parents want what is best for their kids. We do not complain endlessly about parents. We do have to remind ourselves sometimes of the above. And it hasn't been too long since I was one of "those" parents. My youngest DD is still in college.

tahiti: I'm sorry I quoted you if you are not a teacher. I went through the thread, which I did read, BTW, and found quotes about teachers that exemplified the "poor me" attitude I was referring to.

Last edited by Katarina Witt; 11-20-2007 at 03:30 PM..

Old 11-20-2007, 03:25 PM

Quote:
tahiti: I'm sorry I quoted you if you are not a teacher. I went through the thread, which I did read, BTW, and found quotes about teachers that exemplified the "poor me" attitude I was referring to.
I'm not a teacher either, for the record, I'm just engaged to one. I was trained as one and quickly realized that I couldn't deal with the little buggers. I do much better with adults. So let's agree to stick to our own professions. I have no desire to be nurse, Pittnurse has no desire to teach or work in politics, and Jersey Man, well, I dunno...

Old 11-20-2007, 03:29 PM

90,316 posts, read 120,407,718 times
How do you know I have no desire to teach or work in politics? I would love to teach nursing. Unfortunately, I never got around to finishing my masters'. I am a member of the League of Women Voters (but speaking for myself). I have done a lot of political work. I do not desire, at the present, to run for office, though I have been approached a few times. I am barely done raising my family and I work almost full-time.

Old 11-20-2007, 03:31 PM

Quote:
How do you know I have no desire to teach or work in politics? I would love to teach nursing. Unfortunately, I never got around to finishing my masters'. I am a member of the League of Women Voters (but speaking for myself). I have done a lot of political work. I do not desire, at the present, to run for office, though I have been approached a few times. I am barely done raising my family and I work almost full-time.
Jeeeeeeez...can we just agree that none of us want swap careers this very minute!?

Old 11-20-2007, 03:33 PM

687 posts, read 3,245,954 times
Quote:
I went through the thread, which I did read, BTW, and found quotes about teachers that exemplified the "poor me" attitude I was referring to.
The statement you bolded from my first post was a statement of fact--not a "poor me" ploy for sympathy. I don't deserve someone's pity, nor have I ever. Obviously, I chose to teach the subject I taught. My comment about my paperload was merely a response to the many posts regarding teachers' days beginning at 8:00 PM and ending at 3:00 PM.

Pot--meet Kettle.

pittnurse said
Quote:
New RNs make about $50K/yr for working 12 months, weekends, holidays, crazy shifts, two weeks vacation and maybe 10 holidays, not all of which get to be taken on the holiday itself.
Again, a choice new RN's make.

The sweeping judgments displayed in this thread make Ann Coulter's chapter in Godless about teachers read like absolute child's play.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey