Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-20-2007, 03:36 PM

5,818 posts, read 12,626,350 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badfish740 View Post
Well you always have the option of joining teachers on easy street. After all, they're merely mouth breathing, knuckle dragging idiots who are about two IQ points above flinging feces at their reflection right? Despite all that they get paid phenomenal sums of money for practically no work!!! Why would anyone choose any other profession? When are you becoming a teacher Jersey Man?
Thats your quote not mine. As you see most of my posts are about govt. workers that are driving the middle class into the ground in this state. I did not say your wife teaching job isn't worth 43K either. All I'm conveying and trying to bring light to ineffieciencies (spelling again) in the govt. Do I think I'm overpaid definitely yes I would do the same job for 40K less. Are IMO most cops, fireman and the overworked teachers paid to much "definitely". Our time off and theres are second to none. So I'm kicking myself also. As for you buying a 350K house, we have a saying"Get some time on the job".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2007, 03:39 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
Oh, give me a break. My statements were statements of fact as well. Yes, the whole thing can get into a "pity party".

My post of 1:18 PM was meant to show how the general public sees teachers. I do not necessarily agree with everything in it. Badfish said he didn't know any teachers who felt that way; I showed some posts that seemed to me to support what I said.

And do not compare me to Ann Coulter, thank you very much.

Old 11-20-2007, 03:39 PM

3,859 posts, read 9,979,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JERSEY MAN View Post
As for you buying a 350K house, we have a saying"Get some time on the job".
Well I'm certainly not expecting it to be handed to me, but when $250K gets you a 2 bedroom 1 bathroom starter that needs updating and repairs in a given area, the salaries should keep pace with those costs. I just used that as an example anyway as we're planning on building our own home. Instead of cash we'll be using sweat to build equity because have that option-a lot of folks don't.

Old 11-20-2007, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pittnurse70 View Post
My post of 1:18 PM was meant to show how the general public sees teachers. I do not necessarily agree with everything in it. Badfish said he didn't know any teachers who felt that way; I showed some posts that seemed to me to support what I said.
Those were practically all mine! Again I was trying to show you that teaching was not a like getting paid to stay at Club Med.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pittnurse70 View Post
Can't fault you there. You certainly haven't called for anyone's assassination or the annihilation of entire race of people in this thread

Old 11-20-2007, 03:44 PM

687 posts, read 3,251,852 times
Quote:
I was speaking to the sweeping judgments displayed in the thread--not specifically yours.

And before anyone else gets their panties in a twist, if you've read the book, then you'll know what I'm talking about. And to be quite honest, I agree with much of what she says on the subject.

Old 11-20-2007, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badfish740 View Post
Well I'm certainly not expecting it to be handed to me, but when $250K gets you a 2 bedroom 1 bathroom starter that needs updating and repairs in a given area, the salaries should keep pace with those costs. I just used that as an example anyway as we're planning on building our own home. Instead of cash we'll be using sweat to build equity because have that option-a lot of folks don't.
I guess I'm the only Govt. worker on this board to say we are overpaid and don't have the hardest profession. Maybe I should get a plaque or something. And you fiancee should be proud of you for defending her and her profession.

Old 11-20-2007, 03:53 PM

Quote:
I guess I'm the only Govt. worker on this board to say we are overpaid and don't have the hardest profession. Maybe I should get a plaque or something.
Well the fact that I find the time to post so much here doesn't bode well for my hardworking argument However, in my defense the week of Thanksgiving is a pretty slow time for us and just two weeks ago I was pulling my hair out and cursing the fact that it was 9 PM and I was still at the office. I've said it before and I'll say it again, every job has its unique challenges and not everyone is going to consider those challenges equal. For example, I work weekends as a Zamboni driver (yes a Zamboni driver) which requires me to manage the ice rink, operate the Zamboni, mop the floors, clean the toilets, fix what breaks, and deal with angry parents. I would never want to do it full time for a variety of reasons, and likewise I'm sure the guys who I work with who do it full time would get bored sitting behind a desk and/or frustrated with having to deal with the kinds of people I deal with in my job.

Quote:
And you fiancee should be proud of you for defending her and her profession.
I feel compelled to because for one, I know a lot about it since that's what my education background was, and two, because I know she puts her heart and soul into it. Sure she complains about kids, parents, administrators just like I complain about my boss, outside people I deal with, etc...but she is truly dedicated to teaching these kids. I think one thing that's been overlooked is the kind of rewards that are unique to teaching, like watching a kid go from having no clue how to write a sentence to composing a well written research paper in the course of a year. My fiancee takes great pride in facilitating that and wouldn't trade it for a six figure salary.

Old 11-20-2007, 04:23 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
We could use a few more like her.

Old 11-20-2007, 04:35 PM

Quote:
I guess I'm the only Govt. worker on this board to say we are overpaid and don't have the hardest profession. Maybe I should get a plaque or something. And you fiancee should be proud of you for defending her and her profession.
I guess I should add to this quote/ I'm the ONLY one on this entire forum to say he thinks that he is overpaid.

Old 11-20-2007, 05:22 PM

12,283 posts, read 35,690,922 times
Quote:
I guess I should add to this quote/ I'm the ONLY one on this entire forum to say he thinks that he is overpaid.
depends on how much you make. i wouldn't expect a teacher to say they are overpaid at $50K.

i know some state workers completely overpaid, grossly underpaid, and those making an amount *just right*. at my previous job (private sector), i was paid over 30% less than a few of my peers doing the same job. they were overpaid, i was underpaid. guess what? that's life, and you'll see it everywhere. there are slackers and hard workers in every walk of life, and in a lot of large companies, you pretty much have tenure as well - getting fired is pretty much impossible, short of murder.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey