Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2007, 01:44 PM

12,283 posts, read 35,690,922 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by regarese View Post
I would like for the people who complain about that salary to try the position, really put your effort into it to do it well, and report back on what you think you should be paid. What's a shame is you'll get the slackers who are just there for the check, but the teachers that put the time in, and do the job the way it should be done deserve every penny of that $50k. And no I'm not a teacher. I tried and couldn't hack it. You want to cut an educator's salary-start with the administrators, not the ones actually doing the teaching. And they're jobs don't end at 3-they just get to leave the building at that time. I know when I did it, I was doing a lot more work after 3 and late into the night than I ever wanted to do.
EXACTLY! Couldn't have said it better myself. Cutting salaries and paying less is pennywise, pound foolish. The great teachers are worth way more than $50K.

Those who think it's such a sweet deal - become a teacher, it's that simple.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2007, 01:48 PM

5,818 posts, read 12,626,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lillietta View Post
[/i][/b]

Obviously you're not a teacher. Most do not leave at 3:00, are on their feet all day with, depending on the school, barely 15 minutes to eat lunch in addition to lunchroom or recess patrol, little or no prep time, take piles of papers home, and, depending on the school, spend evenings after a day of teaching at parent-teacher conferences, and have to be available anytime a parent needs/wants to meet with them (which happens much more than it ever did as more parents are extremely and unreasonably demanding), take their phone calls in the evenings at home, attend mandated workshops, are given new curricula at a moment's notice which they have to take time to learn. Many districts have cut teacher aides in the classroom.

In short, their days are full with after school hours' work, in addition to managing constant last-minute plan changes per any directive that comes down from the administration to the principal.
I think everyone is crying for you. You have it so hard.

Old 11-16-2007, 02:01 PM

1,363 posts, read 5,928,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JERSEY MAN View Post

Add to that a room full of students where at least half of them are just as sarcastic and disrespectful.

Old 11-16-2007, 02:08 PM

687 posts, read 3,251,852 times
Quote:
I would like for the people who complain about that salary to try the position, really put your effort into it to do it well, and report back on what you think you should be paid. What's a shame is you'll get the slackers who are just there for the check, but the teachers that put the time in, and do the job the way it should be done deserve every penny of that $50k. And no I'm not a teacher. I tried and couldn't hack it. You want to cut an educator's salary-start with the administrators, not the ones actually doing the teaching. And they're jobs don't end at 3-they just get to leave the building at that time. I know when I did it, I was doing a lot more work after 3 and late into the night than I ever wanted to do.
Could not agree more. I taught for 7 years before "retiring" to stay at home with my 18 month old. I am routinely asked when I'll be returning, as the hours are perfect for raising a family yada, yada, yada. The thing is, to do it well you have to invest a whole lot more time than those school hours. When I left, I was teaching A.P. English, and my paperload was absolutely insane. Sure, I could do a half-assed job and be able to juggle both, but that isn't for me. I'll return after I have my kids in school if I can find a district that'll allow me to teach part-time, say two periods a day.

Old 11-16-2007, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by regarese View Post
Add to that a room full of students where at least half of them are just as sarcastic and disrespectful.
These are professions that we chose. Lets face it they are not extremely hard work. My friend is a teacher and he makes 85K. Guess what he is fishing every day BY 3:00. He is off from June 15 until about Sept. 8 EVERY year. They along with us have a goverment job and we can retire by 55 YOA if we choose to. Health bennies for life. Lets face it you would still have a long line of applicants if they paid police 40K and teachers 40K.This is why taxes are so high. Since I'm on a roll I might as throw paid firefighters into the mix. Our town has people volunteering for the job and are dedicated for NOTHING. There are volunteer police officers. Do we need 85-100 teachers, fireman and police.

Old 11-16-2007, 10:59 PM

562 posts, read 2,615,417 times
wow.. i see many people don't understand that nowadays 50k is not much at all.. IMO 50k will not make me change careers.. I can't imagine living on 50k.. I think that not all teachers should make the same amount, i believe that salaries should be based on performance.. this will motivate teachers to be GOOD teachers..

Old 11-17-2007, 08:52 PM

11,345 posts, read 16,705,526 times
It's not just the new starting salaries at 50k. Now every existing teacher is also going to want an increase now.

What about teachers that started out a few years ago at 40k. Of course we have to bump them to 50k+.

I said this before and I'll say it again.

We are so f.....

Old 11-17-2007, 10:13 PM

MPB, This is one part of the reason that our taxes are so high. You have teachers and cops making 6 figures. I am one of them. Let me give you a synopsis of one town I'll use Brick. Patrolman make 108,000 after 5 years, Sgts 118,000, Lts. 132,000, Capts. 145,000. Now multiply that by 100 cops. The towns give us the money without even trying for any givebacks. I'm happy. Throw in some overtime and xtra assignments and 200K is not out of the picture. Only requirements GED or high school diploma and a valid DL. Schools they run the AC most of the summer with no one in school, the sprinklers remain on even if it rains for three days. Wouldn't you think someone would turn these off. Firemen same salary as police, alot of towns do fine with volunteers.

When it comes to cost of living and taxes these are some of the reasons why New Jersey is so expensive. Guess what that why real estate taxes in say North and South Carolina are anywheres from 700- to about 2 grand. They pay cops about 28,000, teachers about the same, firemen most of the towns except for the major cities have volunteers. Schools are regionalized you don't have a ton of administrators making 150,000 with assts and secretaries. And I could go on and on. APP.com has the lists of politicians that hold multiple jobs in this state. I'll list one guy because its getting late. Nick Sacco he is a state senator. North Bergen Mayor and a principal in a school in North Bergen. Between the 3 jobs he doesn't put in 8 hours total. He makes combined 300,000. He could retire now from them all and us taxpayers would have to give him a pension in excess of two hundred thousand until he drops dead. Not a bad chunk of change. Sharpe James they same thing and who could forget Wayne Bryant. They will and are receiving LARGE pensions even when and if they go to jail. On and On. Oh Corzine going to fix it. LOL

Old 11-18-2007, 05:27 AM

11,345 posts, read 16,705,526 times
This is what scares the crap out of me.

Once one school district gives the teachers 50+, every other school district will jump on the band wagon without any regard to the taxpayers. This also includes every civil servant in the state.

This is a viscous cycle that looks like it will never end until one day someone wakes up and realizes that there aren't anymore taxpayers to pay.

Old 11-18-2007, 08:00 AM

2,885 posts, read 1,985,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JERSEY MAN View Post

The laugh's on you wise guy. I'm not a teacher. But unlike you, I can empathize. Your friend who goes fishing is not the kind of teacher I know or would recommend. I'm talking about the kind of teacher who sits after school with a kid who has problems or asks the kid to call if they need special help. You don't know very much based on your friend and what you think you know. You really don't get it. The teaching profession has changed much over the years because of problems society now has that never existed before. When the parents fail, it falls onto the teachers.

Last edited by Lillietta; 11-18-2007 at 08:08 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey