Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-14-2008, 12:29 PM

15 posts, read 56,267 times

Advertisements

I also think teachers have it pretty good, though I would never say so to a teacher-friend's face, because they scare me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2008, 07:06 PM

6 posts, read 16,200 times
I am a teacher with 5 yrs experience in NYC. My husband is a nurse with 2 years experience. His starting salary with an associates degree in Nursing was much more than my starting salary with a BS and then a Masters and he works less days per year than I do. I still don't make the annual salary that he does.Yes my pension is better than his but other benefits are pretty much the same. I rarely hear people bashing nurses and I know there are many horrible nurses out there who sit on their behinds for most of their shift. However, teachers can be bashed by anyone. Yes I know taxes pay our salaries but in a way our healthcare costs pay nurses salaries.

Last edited by kelljoe1002; 05-24-2008 at 07:14 PM.. Reason: to add something

Old 05-24-2008, 09:30 PM

2,736 posts, read 9,676,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kelljoe1002 View Post
I rarely hear people bashing nurses and I know there are many horrible nurses out there who sit on their behinds for most of their shift. However, teachers can be bashed by anyone. Yes I know taxes pay our salaries but in a way our healthcare costs pay nurses salaries.
Healthcare costs are a choice; taxes are not.

Old 05-25-2008, 10:20 PM

619 posts, read 2,201,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CuCullin View Post
Healthcare costs are a choice; taxes are not.
Kinda, unless of course you are on Medicare or Medicaid or such...but that's not too much tax money.

Without quality education there would be no quality healthcare, and without quality healthcare, we are dead or at least wish we were. Seems like neither area is one we would want to skimp on...

Old 05-26-2008, 06:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mczabe View Post
Kinda, unless of course you are on Medicare or Medicaid or such...but that's not too much tax money.

Without quality education there would be no quality healthcare, and without quality healthcare, we are dead or at least wish we were. Seems like neither area is one we would want to skimp on...
Ehhh.... quality education existed long before this country did. Quality education also exists in states other than new jersey, and they get it done for a whole hell of a lot less money (you know, because its not wasted.).

Old 05-26-2008, 07:12 AM

240 posts, read 948,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe moving View Post
Cu I came up with a pretty close number. About 40k. As a working professional, renting, working and driving to work in New Jersey, you pretty much NEED to make 40k to get by. 10k taxes, take home 30k and spend all of it. Could get by on 35k.

Renting isn't actually the American dream. I am doing all of the above as a teacher and barely making ends meet. Throw a child into the factor and see how far you get in NJ. I have a masters degree in education. Most people in other careers holding masters degrees make a lot more than teachers. I qualify for moderate income housing according to the NJ standards. Doesn't that say something for my teacher salary? Sure other states pay less but I have never struggled this badly in my life trying to make it here in NJ. There are other things wrong here to worry about rather than teacher salaries. I am not living the high life.

Old 05-26-2008, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CuCullin View Post
Ehhh.... quality education existed long before this country did. Quality education also exists in states other than new jersey, and they get it done for a whole hell of a lot less money (you know, because its not wasted.).
Very true - but I believe the wasted money in education is not to be found in teachers' salaries.

Old 05-26-2008, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mczabe View Post
Very true - but I believe the wasted money in education is not to be found in teachers' salaries.
At $50k to start, tying in all the benefits we the taxpayers pay for, I'd have to disagree. Its a small part, but one part nonetheless.

Old 05-26-2008, 07:55 PM

Then I guess I wish we would spend more time addressing the larger parts before having 22 pages of discussion on teachers being overpaid.

Obviously, many people feel that $50K is too much for a teacher's starting salary, so you've got lots of company.

In my opinion though, seeing that that same teacher is going to be making about $10k more than that 10 years from now, while being required to receive an advanced degree on his or her own dime...And seeing that if that teacher can survive 35 years and obtain a Doctorate, he or she might break $100 in the highest paid districts... I don' begrudge him or her a decent start.

Old 05-27-2008, 10:25 AM

1,787 posts, read 5,752,250 times
Default I love me, who do you love. . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrjersey View Post
Please come into my class and and attempt to teach my kids while one child is off his meds and is calling out, pushing his desk across the room, grabbing (I'm not allowed to remove him from the room and I can't force his parents to give him his meds), oh, and then there's the child that can't take the noise that the first kid is creating so he has stuck his hands over his ears and put his head down. Then the kid that was pushed goes into a corner and starts crying. This happens 3 times per week. Of course there's the child who needs glasses but whose mother has every excuse in the world why she doesn't have them...even when we've told her she can get them for free.

So the answer to some of this is that the problem kids sit in the front of the class, and the girl who needs glasses also needs to sit in the front...hmm, the front of my class isn't big enough. Now add in NCLB and my class needs to be able to show Adequate Yearly Progress over last year-even though these students have disabilities. So I write lesson plans to compensate for all of my kids learning disabilities and behavior issues.

And even though I'm a Special Ed teacher this is happening in regular ed classrooms across the country.

BTW...I spent about $1500 out of my own pocket last year for school supplies because my annual supplies budget from the school is $200. I am a good shopper but I will be out of writing paper in my classroom by January. If I want my kids to have paper I will have to buy it myself.

My point is that whether it's the guy standing in the freezing cold or the teacher at the front of the class, everyone chooses to do what they do. I took a 50% pay cut to become a teacher...because I love it. My benefits stink compared to what I had, I contribute to my pension, I will never get a bonus, I don't get over time when I spend 20 hours doing lesson plans and grading papers at home each week and I have to work a summer job just try to make ends meet.

So, do I think teachers starting salaries she be on par with other high-demand/highly skilled jobs...yes I do. You may not think teaching is a skill like engineering but just try to do it to the level that you want all of your child's teachers to do it and you are talking HIGHLY SKILLED.
You have a lot of nerve complaining about not getting a bonus and having to contribute towards your pension. Do you contribute to your health benefits? What? You have to work during the summer to make ends meet? Welcome to the real world; we all work year-round and contribute to health care and pension benefits. What's the average class size? 15? How much time is needed to grade 15 [or less] papers at home?

There are a lot of hard-working people that are not teachers and don't receive a bonus, contribute towards health care and pension benefits, don't get paid overtime, and work a full year; some working more than one job to put food of the table, gas in their vehicles, and to pay the very tax that pays your salary.

Not having children doesn't relieve me from the huge school tax burden to send every one else's kids to school and I have every right to complain about the money that's being sucked out of my wallet to make your life easier. Don't tell me, it's for the kids. If "it" was for the kids, then you would have money for school supplies instead of putting the money towards your salary.

I don't mind paying something for the school tax, but I feel the tax should be based on how many kids you send to school. Do that and let's see how happy the parents would be with the school budget. NJ's new slogan: "Pay to Learn."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey