Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2007, 12:41 PM

11,345 posts, read 16,705,526 times

Advertisements

When will this freakin madness end? I don't blame the teachers for trying to get whatever they can, but where do you think the money is going to come from?
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

At least 17 districts agree to such pay
Friday, November 16, 2007
BY JOHN MOONEY
Star-Ledger Staff

Two decades after New Jersey passed a law setting the minimum teacher pay at $18,500, a rising number of school districts are passing a salary milestone for their rookies: $50,000.

Moderator cut: copyrights

Last edited by Yac; 12-14-2007 at 05:04 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2007, 12:43 PM

625 posts, read 3,635,815 times
Im becoming a teacher!!!!

Old 11-16-2007, 12:51 PM

12,283 posts, read 35,690,922 times
still not enough for me to put up with all the a'hole parents they need to deal with.

Old 11-16-2007, 12:56 PM

6,175 posts, read 12,939,084 times
It's going to come from our taxes of course. But the issue isn't really that the teachers are being paid too much. Does anyone here think that there aren't many other less important places in the budgets of our towns & counties that could , & should, be cut before you consider cutting teachers salaries? I happen to think that the education of our kids is pretty important, and that we want good, qualified, smart people doing that educating. Those people will have many options to look at for their careers, and if they aren't offered an attractive salary, that will let them pay the loans they took in order to get the education, they'll go do something else. If you keep the teachers salaries low, the only people teaching will be the ones who couldn't get a better paying job. Not an ideal situation.

Old 11-16-2007, 01:03 PM

11,345 posts, read 16,705,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Keegan View Post
It's going to come from our taxes of course. But the issue isn't really that the teachers are being paid too much. Does anyone here think that there aren't many other less important places in the budgets of our towns & counties that could , & should, be cut before you consider cutting teachers salaries? I happen to think that the education of our kids is pretty important, and that we want good, qualified, smart people doing that educating. Those people will have many options to look at for their careers, and if they aren't offered an attractive salary, that will let them pay the loans they took in order to get the education, they'll go do something else. If you keep the teachers salaries low, the only people teaching will be the ones who couldn't get a better paying job. Not an ideal situation.
Ok Bill, where do you teach?

Yes, teachers are very important, but this spending has to stop!!!

Do you realize that 20 years ago teachers started at $18,500 and now will be at $50,000. What the hell do you think is going to happen in another 10-20 years?

I can't take anymore of this, but unfort, my wife will not move out of NJ. It looks like I'll never be able to afford to retire.

Old 11-16-2007, 01:13 PM

6,175 posts, read 12,939,084 times
Nope, sorry. Not a teacher. I sell real estate. If you go back & look, you will see that your spread is not as much as you think it is. To buy what you could 20 years ago with that $18,500, you would need over $33,000 today. And again, with more & more kids in the schools, and with more opportunities out there for the most qualified people, it's critical to get those qualified people in the schools as teachers, so an effective after inflation increase of only $17k in 20 years doesn't strike me as too much. If not with a higher salary, how do you suggest getting the best people to teach our kids?

Old 11-16-2007, 01:25 PM

857 posts, read 2,002,524 times
I think teachers should be very well paid - teaching is one of the most important professions.
However, i think it should be waaaaay harder to become (and stay) a teacher. 50k to work 180 days a year, leave every day at 3- no matter how bad/good of a day you had, state health benefits, and the most paid holidays out of any profession. Seems like a pretty good deal.

Old 11-16-2007, 01:31 PM

1,363 posts, read 5,928,196 times
I would like for the people who complain about that salary to try the position, really put your effort into it to do it well, and report back on what you think you should be paid. What's a shame is you'll get the slackers who are just there for the check, but the teachers that put the time in, and do the job the way it should be done deserve every penny of that $50k. And no I'm not a teacher. I tried and couldn't hack it. You want to cut an educator's salary-start with the administrators, not the ones actually doing the teaching. And they're jobs don't end at 3-they just get to leave the building at that time. I know when I did it, I was doing a lot more work after 3 and late into the night than I ever wanted to do.

Old 11-16-2007, 01:41 PM

2,885 posts, read 1,985,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jy_2007 View Post
I think teachers should be very well paid - teaching is one of the most important professions.
However, i think it should be waaaaay harder to become (and stay) a teacher. 50k to work 180 days a year, leave every day at 3- no matter how bad/good of a day you had, state health benefits, and the most paid holidays out of any profession. Seems like a pretty good deal.

Obviously you're not a teacher. Most do not leave at 3:00, are on their feet all day with, depending on the school, barely 15 minutes to eat lunch in addition to lunchroom or recess patrol, little or no prep time, take piles of papers home, and, depending on the school, spend evenings after a day of teaching at parent-teacher conferences, and have to be available anytime a parent needs/wants to meet with them (which happens much more than it ever did as more parents are extremely and unreasonably demanding), take their phone calls in the evenings at home, attend mandated workshops, are given new curricula at a moment's notice which they have to take time to learn. Many districts have cut teacher aides in the classroom.

In short, their days are full with after school hours' work, in addition to managing constant last-minute plan changes per any directive that comes down from the administration to the principal.

Old 11-16-2007, 01:42 PM

5,818 posts, read 12,626,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPBsr View Post
Ok Bill, where do you teach?

Yes, teachers are very important, but this spending has to stop!!!

Do you realize that 20 years ago teachers started at $18,500 and now will be at $50,000. What the hell do you think is going to happen in another 10-20 years?

I can't take anymore of this, but unfort, my wife will not move out of NJ. It looks like I'll never be able to afford to retire.
MPB, I feel insulted, you left out us 100,000 a year cops and firemen. The towns give it to us. Are we supposed to say no thanks. So of them can't even spell and they dropped out of school.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey