Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2007, 04:04 PM

7 posts, read 23,690 times

Advertisements

Looking to move... We are in NJ and want to stay in NJ! Looking to get into a nice home, can go up to $650k. Need good schools, but don't want to deal with uh, well, snobby people. A friend lives in Chatham and said it's quite snobby, as is Westfield. The taxes in Essex, etc. don't scare me since I already pay high taxes ($9k). I want a town that is fun, not a sleepy town. Hopefully something with a safe downtown area.

The catch is that we need something along the train route for NJ Transit into NYC, and a town with a jitney or homes within walking distance to the train station.

So does anyone have suggestions for a town along the train route that has easy to access the station, good schools, some shopping and nice neighborhoods with friendly people.

We are open to anywhere as long as it's not more than an hour long train ride to NYC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2007, 04:21 PM

6 posts, read 23,629 times
Well, Chatham and Westfield are nice...but I understand what you mean about the people because I work there! hahaha. Have you considered Berkeley Heights or New Providence? Summit is also great, it has an excellent school system and the train is very close (but the people are a little snooty). Basically, you're going to have to deal with that anywhere that is a nice area with a great school system. Another option would be Edgewater NJ. I don't know what kind of home you are looking for (townhouse, 1 family, etc) but Edgewater NJ is right across from NYC so you can take the ferry and be there in less than 30 min.

Old 11-16-2007, 04:24 PM

2,791 posts, read 10,809,148 times
I wish my taxes were only $9000! Most of Essex are that or higher; was thinking Montclair, but not sure if it would work for you as taxes would be well over that. Good luck!

Old 11-16-2007, 04:28 PM

6,175 posts, read 12,939,084 times
Madison NJ. Somehow it seems almost unknown by people who don't live thre, but it has everything you say you want. Great downtown area, lots of shops, restaurants & the like. Good school system. Very convenient train access to NYC. Nice place. There are currently 31 properties for sale there under $650,000. I don't know what you want or need in a house, or I'd narrow it down for you.

Old 11-16-2007, 04:58 PM

118 posts, read 623,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alb1017 View Post
Looking to move... We are in NJ and want to stay in NJ! Looking to get into a nice home, can go up to $650k. Need good schools, but don't want to deal with uh, well, snobby people. A friend lives in Chatham and said it's quite snobby, as is Westfield. The taxes in Essex, etc. don't scare me since I already pay high taxes ($9k). I want a town that is fun, not a sleepy town. Hopefully something with a safe downtown area.

The catch is that we need something along the train route for NJ Transit into NYC, and a town with a jitney or homes within walking distance to the train station.

So does anyone have suggestions for a town along the train route that has easy to access the station, good schools, some shopping and nice neighborhoods with friendly people.

We are open to anywhere as long as it's not more than an hour long train ride to NYC.
Princeton or Brick

Old 11-16-2007, 07:19 PM

85 posts, read 305,079 times
Denville is awesome; it has it all. Mountain Lakes has some of the best public schools in NJ, Boonton Twp. kids also attend ML HS w/a train station and cute downtown. Don't know about a jitney to the train. Your best buy would be in Denville; great homes, lovely neighborhoods. I've seen most of what's on the market here. Nice selection.

Old 11-16-2007, 08:39 PM

What are everyone's feelings on Millburn, Short Hills, Maplewood and South Orange?

I read somewhere that Maplewood and South Orange are "up and coming" areas (like Brooklyn once was -and it's now a fortune to buy there becuase it has been turned around and filled with young families) with all the young families moving in. I have kids in third grade and under, so if the high school can improve to be a great school in six years I am all for it.

Old 11-17-2007, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SheSellsNJ View Post
Denville is awesome; it has it all. Mountain Lakes has some of the best public schools in NJ, Boonton Twp. kids also attend ML HS w/a train station and cute downtown. Don't know about a jitney to the train. Your best buy would be in Denville; great homes, lovely neighborhoods. I've seen most of what's on the market here. Nice selection.
Funny you should mention Denville. My husband lived there for many years as a child. To be honest, the train station isn't close enough as far as walking and there is not jitney, and the train commute to NYC in general is a bit long. We'd like to keep it under 50 minutes or so. I know of Mountian Lakes/Boonton Twnshp school connection, but there is not jitney there either.

We only have one car which is why we need a close train station or jitney. We got rid of our second car, found it wasn't necessary to pay for upkeep and NJ insurance costs just to drive to the station, then pay for parking at there, on top of paying the NJ Transit monthly fee too.

Old 11-17-2007, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brookdaleresident View Post
I wish my taxes were only $9000! Most of Essex are that or higher; was thinking Montclair, but not sure if it would work for you as taxes would be well over that. Good luck!
We can handle the higher taxes, I was just mentioning it becuase I've seen some people in shock when they come to NJ after having taxes of $1500! Are the schools in Montclair considered good? My children are in elementary school, so up and coming is ok, I feel the secondary schools will evolve with the town as the influx of new residents continues. I will have to look into that one! The closer to NYC the better. I like the looks of Maplewood but am afraid of the schools there. The elementary schools scores aren't where I'd like them to be, but when I read parent reviews of the schools there they are very pleased. Maybe am I expecting too much? Maybe I should move to Chatham or Westfeild and deal with the people? Not sure. I looked pretty deep into Chatham and found that there were literally only 2 black students in their 4-5 grade school, which is a large school. I am white, so that is not a huge concern for me, but I would like my children to grow up with some ethnic diversity-which leads me to believe Chatham is not the place. I my opinoin exposure to different races and different cultures make children more well-rounded and accepting. Like I said, maybe I am asking for too much...

Last edited by alb1017; 11-17-2007 at 07:36 AM..

Old 11-17-2007, 07:27 AM

2,093 posts, read 5,460,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alb1017 View Post
What are everyone's feelings on Millburn, Short Hills, Maplewood and South Orange?

I read somewhere that Maplewood and South Orange are "up and coming" areas (like Brooklyn once was -and it's now a fortune to buy there becuase it has been turned around and filled with young families) with all the young families moving in. I have kids in third grade and under, so if the high school can improve to be a great school in six years I am all for it.

I did a few jobs in Maplewood recently and from what i have seen it is a nice little town, If you do go there make sure you go to Fromans or Freemans fish market (not sure of the name but it was very good)

Where did you live in Brooklyn ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey