Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2013, 07:00 PM

42 posts, read 112,830 times

Advertisements

Need some advice. I currently live on Long Island and looking to move the family. I grew up on Long Island and am just tired of it. I live on the North Shore of LI and while i can afford the area, I am just turned off by the people and the competitiveness.

I am considering all areas including NJ, Ct, and Westchester. I'm not familiar with Nj, so that's where I need some help. I'm looking for a town, no more than a hour outside the city. I work from home but do need to be in the city between 5-6 times a month. My family is Jewish, and unlike most, I am NOT looking for an area that is predominately Jewish. I currently live in a town that is, and I don't like it. I would like there to be some Jewish families, but it should not dominate (we are not overly religious), like people seem to say about Livingston. My budget is 1.1M. I'm looking for a nice downtown, good schools (not a pressure cooker or the #1 school in the state) and a somewhat down to earth feeling. Does this exist?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2013, 07:14 PM

901 posts, read 2,247,801 times
Absolutely!

Old 10-04-2013, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OysterCatcher View Post
Absolutely!
Helpful. Thanks

Old 10-04-2013, 01:51 PM

390 posts, read 1,366,906 times
So quick list - starting with towns where 1.1 million will go farther then later on the list. All these towns have walkable downtowns, good schools, and are under an hour train ride to the city.

1. Maplewood
2. South Orange
3. Glen Rock
4. Glen Ridge (no downtown, but borders Montclair's)
5. Montclair
6. Ridgewood

I would make the argument that the Essex County towns on this list (Maplewood, South Orange, Glen Ridge, and Montclair) are more down to earth and less snooty than the Bergen County towns (Glen Rock and Ridgewood). Others might disagree.

There's also Westfield, but the commute will be over an hour since you have to change at Newark Penn.

The Essex county towns also have a direct train to Penn Station, which Bergen County does not.

Old 10-04-2013, 02:59 PM

391 posts, read 1,475,892 times
I would say that Summit fits the bill pretty nicely.

Old 10-04-2013, 03:44 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,734,689 times
I would look in Momtclair, Short Hills and Summit. Good luck with your move!

Old 10-04-2013, 06:20 PM

10,222 posts, read 19,201,005 times
Maplewood and South Orange certainly. Short Hills and Summit, probably not -- the OP is looking to get away from competitiveness and pressure-cooker schools. Same issue with Westfield and Ridgewood. I'd think Madison might work as well.

Old 10-04-2013, 06:27 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,734,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nybbler View Post
Maplewood and South Orange certainly. Short Hills and Summit, probably not -- the OP is looking to get away from competitiveness and pressure-cooker schools. Same issue with Westfield and Ridgewood. I'd think Madison might work as well.
Excellent point I missed that in the OP's post

Old 10-04-2013, 06:32 PM

390 posts, read 1,366,906 times
Quote:
I'd scratch Glen Ridge then also!

Old 10-04-2013, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Thanks for all the replies, someone had also mentioned Madison as well to me. Can anyone elaborate on Madison, in terms of the type of town, the high school, people, etc?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey