Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2013, 07:31 AM

155 posts, read 556,045 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocknyc View Post
The oil tank was buried in the front lawn (where it usually is buried) so it took like 2-3 hours to get it removed. From what I've heard, it all depends on where the tank is buried. If it's buried under the driveway or backyard or under the house somewhere, it could take a lot longer.

As for any delays to closing? the answer is no. We were under attorney review for an unusually long time and that's because of other things but it didn't have anything to do with the oil tank removal.
Thanks for your post.
Its buried at the side of the house not on drive way .
Also the company who scan and find the oil tank told that the tank is in a good place at the side of the house and its 1.5 feet under the ground. When they check for the oil contents in the tank (not sure how they check it.) there is about 13 inch of oil and very little water. So they assume that mostly no leak. Lets see how it goes.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2013, 07:38 AM

Default UPDATES: Underground Oil Tank Removal Before house closing

UPDATES: Oct 11 2013

Today morning I talk to my attorney and he told that the oil tank will be removed and we will get the No Further Action letter from the seller . He told that he removed an oil tank from him home so he know all the procedure to remove the oil tank. He told that it may take some time to get the NFA letter but we will get it. Now the closing date is changed from Nov 1 to Nov 15.

Hope I will move there soon.
Will update if I get anything more

Thanks,
Joseph

Old 10-11-2013, 07:57 AM

12,546 posts, read 21,395,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJHomebody View Post
I would want the tank removed and then have the soil check done. You can check the soil on the side, but there could be oil underneath. I would not close until the tank has been removed and the test has come back ok.
Bingo!

it's great that the sellers agreed to remove the tank (this is happening in my town at a house also right now). do not rush to close. wait until this is done, and then have the soil tested afterwards (the company that removes the tank should be doing that afterwards).

you may need to delay the closing, if so, i believe the only downside to you is extending your loan lock, which really doesn't cost much. the important thing is having this resolved.

Old 10-11-2013, 08:17 AM

1,290 posts, read 1,341,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JesusJosephUS View Post
Thanks for your post.
Its buried at the side of the house not on drive way .
Also the company who scan and find the oil tank told that the tank is in a good place at the side of the house and its 1.5 feet under the ground. When they check for the oil contents in the tank (not sure how they check it.) there is about 13 inch of oil and very little water. So they assume that mostly no leak. Lets see how it goes.

Thanks
We had the same thing. But even though the tank was removed, we had to have a soil sample test done, otherwise our home owners insurance would not cover. If there is even a trace leak, it's big $$$ to get it cleaned up, and DEP has to get involved.

Old 10-14-2013, 12:40 PM

Update: Oct 14
I got a call from my Realtor that the oil tank company came Friday for the soil sample and send it for testing. she told that we will get the result in 5 business day. Hope everything is good and no soil contamination.

Will update...

Old 10-25-2013, 08:37 AM

Update:
The soil test come as condamination in the soil and the oil tank company ask for 9000$ to make it perfect.

Seller has no money and planning to ask the company to get it after the closing date.

Will update

Old 10-25-2013, 08:43 AM

17,573 posts, read 46,126,539 times
Get what after closing? The money?

Old 10-25-2013, 08:44 AM

1,290 posts, read 1,341,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JesusJosephUS View Post
Update:
The soil test come as condamination in the soil and the oil tank company ask for 9000$ to make it perfect.

Seller has no money and planning to ask the company to get it after the closing date.

Will update
OK, not sure if you are using an attorney or not, but I would NOT close until the soil is certified clean. Since there is contamination, you may have to close with a temporary C/O (not sure), but your insurance company may not like it. If the oil company agreed, and cleaned site, I believe it still needs to be retested. What then, if it's not clean.

This is why, if you don't have an attorney, I would consult one. There is too much "grey area" here.

A relative of mine had contaminant in their soil from a leak. A small leak. DEP ended up involved, and it cost over $30,000 to and several cleanups to get it "perfect".

Old 10-25-2013, 08:59 AM

225 posts, read 720,819 times
Quote:
So basically seller is saying he/she can't pay for it but will pay you back later? Umm, I would not trust this. Do not close until cleanup is done and certified as no further action. This will not be done in 2 weeks time. So either be prepared for several months wait or move on to another house.

Unless you want to take on the risk and payment yourself. It may end up being the 9k, or it could be higher.

Old 10-25-2013, 09:15 AM

527 posts, read 1,407,951 times
Do not close on the house until the soil is certified clean.
Do not accept any promises or assurances.
Once you close, the house and containated soil is YOURS.

My suggestion, and I know this is hard.
Talk to your attorney, walk (RUN) away Now!
back out of the deal

This is getting to deep and complicated.
Soild cleanup/removal and follow-up testing will take months. You are talking potential excavators in the yard, heavy dump trucks in and out, landscaping torn up.
and if the containation has traveled/seeped, they have to follow it.
Open pit in the yard and the wallet

Even if the soil is cleaned up and certified clean, the house will have a "containated" reputation.
When you go to sell, it will come back to affect you selling the house.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
View detailed profiles of: