Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2008, 10:31 AM

3 posts, read 13,976 times

Advertisements

Hi - I'm looking to purchase a home on Sherman Avenue, between South Street and Congress. I hear it's a nice area, but I'm concerned about break-ins in the area.

Is there anyone who is familiar with the area and can give me some feedback as to what I may expect? Obviously our home will have a full security system and we're used to city living (from Hoboken) -- but I am quite worried that it may not be a great place to live.

Please advise; any help is MUCH appreciated. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2008, 04:51 PM

5,340 posts, read 13,947,660 times
You know, it's safe for Jersey City perhaps. It's not a drive by shooting area, but it's not a "good" area. Break ins, petty crimes, car theft and the like are there and I doubt they will be going anywhere soon.

Old 08-11-2008, 07:09 AM

730 posts, read 2,887,248 times
I lived in JC Heights and that area is OK. My best advise to you though is to try and do your best to check out the neighbors and their habits. I got lucky and have great neighbors, but the houses around that area are so close that our quality of life has a lot to do with those around you. Try to find out if they hang out on the porch all night long or have sidewalk sales in front on saturday/sunday. Yesterday I saw someone with a BBQ on the side of their house with a raging fire and flames shooting everyplace. Not someone I would want to live on top of!

Old 08-11-2008, 07:14 AM

16 posts, read 62,477 times
Sorry but I work in JC and wouldn't live there at all. I don't feel safe there.

Old 08-11-2008, 07:18 AM

1,110 posts, read 4,370,107 times
I lived in heights last year on sherman ave - not too far from your area. Ive been awoken by flashlights outside - cops chasing someone (I lived on first floor). In our condo - cops have been inside several times for domestic disturbances in our building. Other building across street usually had groups of people hanging on steps - blasting music, talking late night. Our street was one of nicer ones, but once again so many people crammed into one area will always cause disturbances. Ive seen many broken car windows, car accidents on summit ave..ambulances and fire trucks running all the time.
I dont know. Did I feel safe? Prob not..Always looking over your back..always..
Oh yeah - the post office is not allowed to leave any parcel at your door - we found out our area (along with yours and im sure prob most of JC) is located in a 'High Risk zone'. So, that should tell you something too.

Old 08-11-2008, 09:32 AM

5,340 posts, read 13,947,660 times
JC ain't what she used to be....

Old 05-16-2010, 10:36 AM

1 posts, read 5,266 times
I know this thread it old. But it still comes up in search results, and I felt the need to stand up for The Heights, and Sherman Avenue in particular. I recently bought a house on Sherman.

The neighborhood is not nearly as affluent as downtown Jersey City or Hoboken, and with that, there is probably more crime. But where are there not home burglaries and car thefts? The neighborhood for the most part is packed with kids and families. I can walk to three public parks, and to a light-rail station that is only two stops from the Hoboken PATH station.

My advice to anyone moving there would be to buy a club for their car, and just to be aware of your surroundings when walking around past 11 p.m. or so. If you're returning to The Heights late at night, maybe take a cab as a precaution.

Check it out for yourself. There are great real-estate deals to be had if you can stand being in a neighborhood that doesn't yet have a restaurant or bar scene.

Old 05-16-2010, 02:20 PM

551 posts, read 1,187,478 times
I feel that on these forums alot of misconceptions and hatred is spread by people who USED to live in JC five-ten or more years ago!!

I live in the Heights, and I will say that most of the streets are very safe and have a great diverse family atmosphere. It is not like nyc where @ night things turn 360 and you need vest to enter your building. Just need to know the select streets to avoid at night in the heights, and it is comparable to any other big urban city with a 10% or more unemployment rate!

A security system will greatly deter thefts, just follow "standard precautions" I feel that the Heights have recently become more friendly in terms of being able to walk late evenings and finding tons and tons of families with children out, enjoying the thrift stores and icecream trucks the 3 parks - it is a wonderful experience.

Old 05-17-2010, 09:23 AM

412 posts, read 1,326,751 times
I live on Sherman btw. Franklin and Manhattan Ave. and have no problem. My block is quiet and clean, haven't had any car thefts or break ins and the post office leaves parcels on my porch, they ring the bell.

I've been living there for what a year and 2 going on 3 months and actually enjoy it.

It's an up and coming area and all you have to do is visit the area you are looking to live at night, on the weekends and see for yourself.

Remember it's NOT THE SURBURBS, and it has it problems just like any city.

Old 05-17-2010, 08:36 PM

2 posts, read 6,260 times
I live on Ravine about a block south of Sherman.
Overall fairly safe. Normal caution should prevail, but I feel no more and no less safe than acceptable neighborhoods in Brooklyn and Queens.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey