Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2013, 10:23 AM

113 posts, read 276,341 times

Advertisements

Any record shops near by? My initial search didn't pull anything up. Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2013, 10:35 AM

5,772 posts, read 16,588,795 times
I think there either is or used to be a Scotty's in Summit. WFMU has a big record sale in the city each year also.

Old 10-14-2013, 11:52 AM

2,098 posts, read 3,525,189 times
There used to be quite a few -- most of them are gone. There was a place in B'Ville back about 10 years ago that folded quickly, and Curmuggeon in Sommerville.

Scotti's in Summit is the best option geographically. You aren't going to find any rarities there though.

You can always check out Tunes in Hoboken although the selection is spotty and prices are high. PREX in Princeton (usually picked over) and IIRC there are 1-2 now in Jersey City.

Old 10-14-2013, 12:09 PM

1,977 posts, read 7,755,928 times
There is also Vintage Vinyl all the way down on RT1 north in Fords.
Vintage Vinyl Records - CDs Records DVDs Imports Blu-Ray - NJ Legendary Independent Record Store

Old 10-14-2013, 02:33 PM

40 posts, read 140,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobRiguez View Post
There is also Vintage Vinyl all the way down on RT1 north in Fords.
Vintage Vinyl Records - CDs Records DVDs Imports Blu-Ray - NJ Legendary Independent Record Store
I find vintage vinyl to be very pricey.

Good record stores are far and few between in NJ nowadays. I recommend going into NYC, there are a few record shops on Bleeker St still that are decent as well as a few random spots scattered through the east and west village.

Old 10-14-2013, 04:34 PM

2,098 posts, read 3,525,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by typeslone View Post
I find vintage vinyl to be very pricey.

Good record stores are far and few between in NJ nowadays. I recommend going into NYC, there are a few record shops on Bleeker St still that are decent as well as a few random spots scattered through the east and west village.
Vintage Vinyl isn't very good. As said (my post was deleted, not sure why) they take copies of old mass produced records in mint condition and sell them at premium prices. So imagine having a 3rd edition of "Damn the Torpedos" being sold at $20 when it should only be $1. This is certainly possible to witness at Vintage Vinyl.

Old 10-14-2013, 05:39 PM

1,450 posts, read 3,454,676 times
Another source is the Princeton Record Exchange,Sell Used CDs & DVDs at 1 of Largest Music CD Stores, Record Stores though again, it is not cheap.

I have a friend who got a ton of old records in good shape for free through the local Freecycle group, FreecycleMorrisNJ, Yahoo! Groups, so I may be worth it to check them out for vinyl.

KoalaNJ

Old 10-15-2013, 07:27 AM

56 posts, read 108,424 times
Check out the new Meadowloands flea market! The vinyl records sold there are a steal.. of course, you have to dig through a bunch of boxes in hopes of finding something you like and in good condition, but I have gotten records anywhere from 50 cents to $5, depending on the artist and condition. The one day I went there it was late and I guess the vendor had enough... as I was going through the huge crate of albums, the vendor was like, "give me 10 bucks and you can take the whole crate!" Lots of classic rock, some still in the plastic!

Old 10-15-2013, 10:42 AM

3,859 posts, read 9,979,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by labarbmb View Post
Any record shops near by? My initial search didn't pull anything up. Thanks in advance!
Morristown? Sit on a park bench on the green and wait for a kid with Warby Parker glasses and an ironic mustache to walk by. Tail him for a while and you'll find one eventually.

Old 10-15-2013, 02:27 PM

696 posts, read 906,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badfish740 View Post
Morristown? Sit on a park bench on the green and wait for a kid with Warby Parker glasses and an ironic mustache to walk by. Tail him for a while and you'll find one eventually.
LMAO but I don't think Motown is as overrun with hipsters as Williamsburg or even Montclair.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey