Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2013, 02:35 AM

6 posts, read 10,049 times

Advertisements

Thanks NJBest. We have children aged 9 and 15. So also need to look for good high schools and then start saving for college.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2013, 02:46 AM

Bellhead,
No information on the location yet. All we know as of now is that it is to be in NJ. He has some serious travelling to do. As far as commuting is concerned, I have heard that a car is an absolute necessity. It is not at all like Europe, especially London where we can go our entire lives without a car and depend on the Underground.

Old 10-17-2013, 07:24 AM

800 posts, read 1,292,918 times
before you set your sights on a town you NEED to know where he will be working. NJ is a big state and can take 4 hours tip to tip with NO traffic!

Old 10-17-2013, 03:46 PM

69 posts, read 206,420 times
Why not Edison? Just curious. North Edison schools are pretty good, isn't it ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
The answer depends on where he's going to work.

Personally, skip Edison. Princeton is good. West Windsor is great if you have children (or plan on it). Both towns have easy train access to NYC and Philly, while situating yourself in a highly educated suburban area with top quality schools. It's expensive, but your husbands salary puts you above average for the area.

Old 10-17-2013, 10:34 PM

4,120 posts, read 6,591,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katrina40 View Post
Bellhead,
No information on the location yet. All we know as of now is that it is to be in NJ. He has some serious travelling to do. As far as commuting is concerned, I have heard that a car is an absolute necessity. It is not at all like Europe, especially London where we can go our entire lives without a car and depend on the Underground.
Find out his exact location where his home office will be and then go from there. With your income you can live pretty much anywhere in the state and have his and your travel times at a minimum.

Old 10-17-2013, 11:11 PM

Thanks bellhead, waiting for info on location. Our guess is he will be working from home when not travelling.
As far as choice of location (for settling down) is concerned, research on the net shows West Windsor to be a promising place to settle in. It seems to have a diverse and an open-minded community.
Any thoughts?

Old 10-18-2013, 10:54 AM

1,232 posts, read 1,894,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Penga25 View Post
NJ is a big state

May be the first time I have heard that one. It is certainly a congested state....

Old 10-21-2013, 09:31 AM

150 posts, read 644,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Penga25 View Post
before you set your sights on a town you NEED to know where he will be working. NJ is a big state and can take 4 hours tip to tip with NO traffic!
To my children, "NJ is about as small as Delaware -- they had to draw an arrow to label it on a map".

NJ is probably 150 miles wide and 300 miles long, and many times Delaware, but I have never heard NJ referred as a big state. I know things are relative... but coming from California, I had to chuckle reading NJ is a big state

Old 10-21-2013, 10:39 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,580,083 times
its not a huge state but its big enough that you cant just say "I have a job in nj, whats the best town in nj for me to live in." the location needs to be a consideration. if he is traveling, does that mean he needs an airport or close to certain highways?

Old 10-21-2013, 01:20 PM

800 posts, read 1,292,918 times
wow, ok maybe big was the wrong word, congested is better, but unlike most other big states, its not always feasible in NJ to live near your job so distance/congestion needs to be considered. it could take 30 minutes to drive 3 miles in many areas in NJ
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
View detailed profiles of: