Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2007, 09:38 AM

5 posts, read 38,283 times

Advertisements

Hi-

I found a job in Philadelphia and my husband's workplace is in Manhattan. We're looking for a place in NJ that best suits our commuting situation.

Any thoughts/suggestions appreciated.

Thanks!

Last edited by nickless03; 11-19-2007 at 10:30 AM.. Reason: typo
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2007, 11:08 AM

7,079 posts, read 37,932,494 times
How much of a commute will you tolerate and how will you be getting to each place?

Old 11-19-2007, 11:09 AM

2,689 posts, read 3,963,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickless03 View Post
Hi-

I found a job in Philadelphia and my husband's workplace is in Manhattan. We're looking for a place in NJ that best suits our commuting situation.

Thanks!
around the princeton area would be the best

Old 11-19-2007, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viralmd View Post
How much of a commute will you tolerate and how will you be getting to each place?
Hi-

Well, I'm prepared for a commute of about 45min to 1 hr. (Want to make sure that my husband doesn't have a long commute too).

Given that the commute time is around 45min and that the traffic isn't bad, I can drive to Philly . (I'm not sure about the traffic from NJ to Philly though). Otherwise, I plan to take SEPTA. Any ideas?

Thanks,

Old 11-19-2007, 11:37 AM

2,210 posts, read 7,024,355 times
As someone mentioned, the midpoint would be Princeton/Windsor area in Jersey - along the Northeast corridor. BUT that would be at least an hour (probably more with traffic) to Philly and an hour fifteen to Manhattan (I live in the area so have travelled both routes) factoring getting to transportation, etc.
The Northeast corridor would give you train access to both cities. Bear in mind most of the people around here commute to Manhattan, so the schedules are geared towards that, not Philly.

I don't think you can really have one short commute and the other around 45 mins - hour. Maybe someone can come up with something not thought of.

Old 11-19-2007, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by apvbguy View Post
around the princeton area would be the best
Hi-

Thanks for your suggestion.

Another quick question: Do you know if it is feasible to commute to Philadelphia from Princeton?

Thanks again,

Old 11-19-2007, 11:39 AM

42 posts, read 333,042 times
ive been looking for the same thing, a way to commute between manhatten and phila. Unfortunately, I havent found it yet. We live in Philly, fiance commutes 2+ hours each way via train to Manhatten.
We are considering Hamilton, which would keep us near his train, NJTransit, and would keep me near the turnpike to get to Phila.
Princeton is out of our price range.
Good luck!

Old 11-19-2007, 11:45 AM

209 posts, read 1,683,506 times
Hamilton may be a good bet, as if offers access to NJ Transit trains to Manhattan (and I think with the new garage there the waitlist for parking isn't too bad). This is probably about an hour to an hour fifteen depending on whether you get an express train or not.

You could also drive into Trenton and take the SEPTA from there, as that is the farthest point you can get to on SEPTA. Driving or with the train you would probably have to figure a good hour or so.

Considering Philly and NYC are almost 100 miles apart, there will never be a perfect place between them, but living near Hamilton or Princeton Junction may be the best bet.

Old 11-19-2007, 12:19 PM

6,175 posts, read 12,933,690 times
Quote:
Hi-

Thanks!
Well, if you want to be in a palce where you can both take the train, then along the Northeast corrider line would be best. Towns in the southwestern corner of Middlesex county or the northeastern corner of Mercer County, like Princeton Junction, Cranbury, or Jamesburg. Even some of the southernmost portions of Somerset could work, like Franklin Township, Rocky Hill and Kendall Park. If one of you is going to be driving to work, then the choices become more plentiful. Towns in Somerset County like Bridgewater & Basking Ridge are on train lines to NYC (a little over an hour to Midtown NYC) and offer easy highway access to get to Philly (roughly an hour & a half by car. Probably more in rush hours.) Of course, you then have to go look at those towns, to see if they offer lifestyles & housing options you like & can afford.
I like that Somerset county is close enough that you can get to either of these great cities, but I'm not sure how great it is if you need to commute to both of them every day. Let us know what you decide.

Old 11-19-2007, 01:37 PM

2,689 posts, read 3,963,178 times
Quote:
Hi-

Well, I'm prepared for a commute of about 45min to 1 hr. (Want to make sure that my husband doesn't have a long commute too).
can't be done, one of you will have to have a longer commute
Quote:
Given that the commute time is around 45min and that the traffic isn't bad, I can drive to Philly . (I'm not sure about the traffic from NJ to Philly though). Otherwise, I plan to take SEPTA. Any ideas?

Thanks,
that might be on sunday, double your time for rush hours
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey