Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2013, 02:47 PM
PDD PDD started this thread

8,773 posts, read 18,379,327 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badfish740 View Post
Nahh...that's this one:
Nah, wrong again that's down there in Ocala Fl. Horse country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2013, 03:57 PM

1,171 posts, read 2,681,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badfish740 View Post
It's probably also unlawful to groom your horse in public on a Sabbath day while wearing striped knickers in Iowa-that doesn't mean people pay attention to or obey it.
This was in Iowa, Illinois, Indiana, Ohio, etc. They all have those warnings on the pump. I'm sure PA does too just no one ever bothers to read them. I really don't care what you do but it is the law. Just pointing it out so when someone reprimands you for walking away from the pump you can't claim ignorance.

Old 10-17-2013, 04:28 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,126,539 times
I seem to remember some gas stations where you pump your own would disable the mechanism where it would go automatically. Don't know if that was a state rule or just individual gas stations that did that.

Old 10-17-2013, 05:01 PM

1,935 posts, read 4,774,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDD View Post
As a born in NJ and 65 year resident who enjoyed having an attendant pump my fuel here are the great advantages to pumping your own.
Down here in "Pump your own" central (NC) there is nobody to pump gas for you so if you are not feeling well, too bad get out and pump it yourself.
If it's raining like hell, you get wet not the attendant with the rain gear.
When the kick back mechanism doesn't work and spills gas all over the ground who do you get mad at? The person who last used the pump and didn't tell anybody.
When a tire is a little low you ask somebody where do you get air because many of the pump you own places don't have air pumps.
When the Credit card reader is broken and you have to go inside and tell them to turn on the pump and then back inside to run you card after waiting for all the lottery ticket buyers to finish their transactions.
When you are finished pumping and you are waiting for your receipt the screen comes on and reads go inside for receipt.
When all the lanes are full and nobody is outside you just wait for the sandwich and lottery ticket buyers to get back to their cars so you can have the privilege of "pumping your own"
Perhaps NJ residents don't realize that pump your own Gas stations are also Deli's,Coffee shops,Lottery ticket agents, and all those things that slow down the process of just buying gas.

You guys have it pretty good back in NJ, you just don't know it.

For those who want to be a pseudo pump jockey all you have to do is ask the attendant most would be happy to let you pump your own.
I was born and raised in Jersey, so I know plenty about it.

Most gas station attendants I encountered in Jersey had very heavy Middle Eastern accents and spoke very little English. My first car needed premium gas and after I caught one guy giving it regular when I clearly asked for premium, I had to get out and watch them all anyway... so them pumping it for me did me no good.

I was informed by one of the English-speaking attendants that if they allowed me to pump my own gas, they could be fined $10,000.

And I have never once gotten wet pumping my own gas. The pumps are almost always covered with a large shelter.

Old 10-17-2013, 06:04 PM

50,702 posts, read 36,411,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
You could be right about the long lines--I just don't buy gas if there's a line. I'll wait and come back another time. As a matter of fact, now that I think about it, I plan most errands around the best times when there will be the fewest people in my way. I also don't go to supermarkets during busy hours or malls on holidays or during the busiest time (I actually HATE shopping and buy most things online, but if I must go to a mall for something I find around 6 p.m. is the best time--the afternoon shoppers and teenyboppers have gone home, and the night shoppers and after-dinner teenyboppers are aren't there yet.) Most of the time I buy gas if I decide to drive to JC instead of taking the train and know I'll need more than that quarter tank I've got, and then I'm getting gas at 6:30 a.m. There are always other cars there, but never a line.

Of course I'd rather not have rust or eroded paint, but it's hardly something that crosses my mind. It simply wouldn't occur to me to worry about such things. No matter, I've never in my life noticed any rust or eroded paint around the gas tank opening of any car I've ever owned. I now have a 2010 Toyota, which is the newest vehicle I've ever owned in my life (had it almost a year now), so yes, I guess I do want to keep it looking nice. Maybe I'll watch out for that, hehehe. I really don't want to become the type of person though whose damn car is so friggin' important that they suffer a coronary and lose sleep over paint chips or dents. I've got a low tolerance for shallow.

Re the identity theft--if you recall, there was very specific information last year about the fact that identity theft was being conducted using skimmers at gas stations. As a matter of fact, a woman I work with experienced identity theft and I thought that's how they'd gotten her but it wasn't--turns out they stole her mail from her mailbox.
Me, too.I often fill my tank when it gets to half tank, so I'm never in the position where I 'have' to get gas.

Old 10-17-2013, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
I seem to remember some gas stations where you pump your own would disable the mechanism where it would go automatically. Don't know if that was a state rule or just individual gas stations that did that.
Yes! I encountered that a lot in different states. It's the station's way of making sure you stay while the pump is in use. It's a PITA but with people like Badfish I suppose it's necessary.

Old 10-17-2013, 09:49 PM

10,222 posts, read 19,201,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoYanks34 View Post
Yes! I encountered that a lot in different states. It's the station's way of making sure you stay while the pump is in use. It's a PITA but with people like Badfish I suppose it's necessary.
Doesn't matter, you can always jam something in the pump. Used to be gas caps were the right size.

Old 10-17-2013, 10:23 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,422,673 times
Pump-your-own is the rule in 48 states. It seems to work pretty well.

Oh yeah, in many of those states you can still have an attendant pump your gas for you, but generally it's at a higher price than the self-serve nozzles.

Personally I prefer self-serve, because I can get in and out more quickly and with less fuss, and no communication issues. Swipe my card, select octane rating, pump what I want, grab the receipt, and off I go. Works for me.

Old 10-17-2013, 11:23 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,976,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post
Pump-your-own is the rule in 48 states. It seems to work pretty well.

Oh yeah, in many of those states you can still have an attendant pump your gas for you, but generally it's at a higher price than the self-serve nozzles.

Personally I prefer self-serve, because I can get in and out more quickly and with less fuss, and no communication issues. Swipe my card, select octane rating, pump what I want, grab the receipt, and off I go. Works for me.
Ahh, but 'have someone pump it for you' was the rule in all states originally, actually. Self-serve is newer than having an employee do it for you. Technically NJ and OR simply didn't take on the newer idea, which I have no problem with for a few reasons, one being it creates jobs. Could always use those.

Old 10-17-2013, 11:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
Ahh, but 'have someone pump it for you' was the rule in all states originally, actually. Self-serve is newer than having an employee do it for you. Technically NJ and OR simply didn't take on the newer idea, which I have no problem with for a few reasons, one being it creates jobs. Could always use those.
Good point! We're all about preserving history here!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey