Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-16-2013, 11:30 PM

2 posts, read 2,606 times

Advertisements

Hey all,
Me and my wife are looking to buy a home around the mid 4's which can get me to my job in jersey city and her down to the Bridgewater area. We're looking for something in a *SAFE* area with good schools and at least 3 beds / 2 baths. One area we started to look at was Bridgewater itself but I wanted to see if anyone had any other suggestions for towns to look into?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2013, 07:19 AM

1,319 posts, read 4,249,104 times
Please fill this out and you'll get more help from people on the forum. You have way too many basic info missing such as bedroom/bath, commute info, etc.

//www.city-data.com/forum/new-j...residents.html

Old 11-01-2013, 11:51 AM

22 posts, read 33,493 times
Depending on your budget and your preference on diversity. if you want good commute both by car and train, just about anytown along route 78, from Bridgewater, Berkeley Heights, Summit, Short Hills, ending at South Orange, are all good towns.
Among the examples, Short Hills is the most expensive and Bridgewater is the least expensive; South Orange offers the most diversity.

Old 11-03-2013, 07:48 PM

2 posts, read 2,606 times
Here's the forum questionnaire filled out to help narrow down more:

Where are you coming from? Hackettstown NJ
Why are you moving? Work
Where will you be working ? Jersey City and Bridgewater

Will you buy or rent? buy
What is your budget ? ~460k
What kind of place are you looking for ? At least 3 beds, 2 baths.

Will anyone (spouse, children, pets) be moving with you ? Spouse and child.
Do you need/want good public schools? yes. should have very good public schools.

Briefly describe the kind of neighborhood you'd like to live in. SAFE...

Shorthills, Summit and basking ridge just seem too expensive to get anything. So far leaning towards Bridgewater and Whippany.. Any other area suggestions?

Old 11-04-2013, 08:44 AM

200 posts, read 555,066 times
Bernardsville? Less expensive than Basking Ridge, safe with good schools. You can get a smaller home with 3 bedrooms for your budget and it has a lot of amenities for families.
Close to Bridgewater, about 20 mins down 287 and about 45 mins from JC along 78.

Old 11-04-2013, 09:29 AM

1,221 posts, read 2,110,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moomax View Post
Hey all,
Me and my wife are looking to buy a home around the mid 4's which can get me to my job in jersey city and her down to the Bridgewater area. We're looking for something in a *SAFE* area with good schools and at least 3 beds / 2 baths. One area we started to look at was Bridgewater itself but I wanted to see if anyone had any other suggestions for towns to look into?
Pretty much every town North of 22/Near 78 from Bridgewater almost to the GSP meets the base requirements: Reasonable commute, safe, good schools. There's also a few towns that straddle/are South of 22 which may work as well, like Green Brook, Westfield and Mountainside, especially if you were planning on taking the train in to JC.

Some of the cheaper towns in the area would be: Bridgewater itself, Green Brook, parts of Long Hill Twp, but there are also some older homes in all of the towns that aren't so expensive.

My specific questions to you would be:

- Are you desiring to take the train to work in JC? If so, is your workplace on the PATH or HBLR?

- Don't need an exact location, but roughly where in Bridgewater are they working? It's a big town and it affects commute times and possible traffic issues, as 287 + 202/206 have a lot of traffic problems in the area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey