Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2007, 07:21 PM

43 posts, read 155,746 times

Advertisements

We are a young family, husband has a job in Manhattan. We have two elementary school aged kids. Looking for a nice neighborhood, good schools, reasonable commute. Have looked west of the city as far as Morristown, really liked the town my husband wouldn't mind a slightly shorter commute. Have also looked south of the city in the Plainsboro-Princeton areas which seem nice.

Looking for suggestions, or even additional comments about those two areas. Summit/New Providence don't seem bad and have smaller commutes, how are the schools in those areas? neighborhoods? thanks!

oh, looking at spending $500-$600K
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2007, 07:46 PM

66 posts, read 387,043 times
Nutley has excellent schools and not very far from NYC !!

Old 11-19-2007, 08:19 PM

2,093 posts, read 5,459,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by megale View Post
We are a young family, husband has a job in Manhattan. We have two elementary school aged kids. Looking for a nice neighborhood, good schools, reasonable commute. Have looked west of the city as far as Morristown, really liked the town my husband wouldn't mind a slightly shorter commute. Have also looked south of the city in the Plainsboro-Princeton areas which seem nice.

Looking for suggestions, or even additional comments about those two areas. Summit/New Providence don't seem bad and have smaller commutes, how are the schools in those areas? neighborhoods? thanks!

oh, looking at spending $500-$600K
Colonia,Clark or Cranford would all fit your needs
Some area's of Rahway would fit but the school system is not as good as these other towns

Old 11-19-2007, 09:58 PM

11 posts, read 47,111 times
Maplewood is 29 minutes on the train and has great schools. I know a great realtor if you need one.

Old 11-20-2007, 07:26 AM

209 posts, read 1,683,676 times
Also take a look at Montclair, it's a great town and the train into Manhattan isn't too bad at all.

Old 11-20-2007, 07:07 PM

we have pulled some properties in maplewood.

what input does anyone have about new providence? schools, taxes, etc. we are looking for an active town, like to get together with neighbors, hang out at night with the kids, through a cul-de-sac party if you are in one, that sort of thing. very sociable people, we turned our current brand new neighborhood into a very social interactive one, looking for a similar environment balanced out with a decent commute to Manhattan, decent home in the $500-600 range and great schools.

Old 11-20-2007, 08:19 PM

127 posts, read 544,358 times
I suggest to consider Mendham. Excellent schools, no crime (very important especially when you have kids), close to Morristown train station (10-15 min. drive). It is a very quiet upscale community, not cheap though. There are a lot of farms around, so you will be able to enjoy fresh produce from spring through fall. Lots of parks; fresh air. I wouldn't choose Maplewood because of the crime situation there .

Old 11-22-2007, 12:10 AM

11 posts, read 47,111 times
HelgaB

You are right you have to be careful where in Maplewood. I would stay away from the areas near Irvington but most of Maplewood is just gorgeous and very safe.

Old 11-24-2007, 10:32 AM

i didn't find a lot in the montclair area that looked appealing online at least.

i am trying to make west of NYC work in areas like new providence, maplewood, etc. because of the shorter commute. i am thinking that we may find more of what we want south in the princeton or plainsboro areas though. going to do a house hunting trip this week, still trying to gather as much info as possible before we go!

Last edited by megale; 11-24-2007 at 10:42 AM..

Old 11-24-2007, 11:07 AM

86 posts, read 499,672 times
Basically half the towns in Bergen County will do
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey