Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2013, 09:43 PM

3 posts, read 10,922 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I am in process of buying a house. During inspection I came know that there is a small half bath in basement, which is without permit. I came to know as there is no outlet etc.

Should I proceed further? What other options I have ,?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2013, 10:59 PM

10,219 posts, read 19,095,917 times
You don't need a permit to have a bathroom, you need a permit to build one. If this is an older house it's quite possible there was just a toilet in the basement (with no separation from the rest of the basement!) that later someone built walls around. For whatever reason a toilet in the laundry area is very common in some parts of NJ in houses built in the 1920s.

As for what to do... either buy the house or don't buy the house. You can demand the seller bring the bathroom up to code, but they'll say no. You can ask for a cash concession, which might get you something.

Old 10-24-2013, 10:23 AM

225 posts, read 717,664 times
Be aware the appraiser might not view it as a half bath if it isn't to code which means if they list it as a 1.5 bath, it's a 1 bath.

Old 10-24-2013, 10:32 AM

1,041 posts, read 3,000,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJHomebody View Post
Be aware the appraiser might not view it as a half bath if it isn't to code which means if they list it as a 1.5 bath, it's a 1 bath.
this would be my only concern. If the house is listed at 2.5, but tax records only show it as a 2. If you get the permit for the .5, prepare to see your property tax bill get hiked. The flip side of that, is that if there is no permit and its not legal, the 2.5 bath house you thought you were buying, should not be renegotiated down to a 2 bath home.

I wouldnt walk away from this. Use it as a negotiation tactic. Then you can fix it properly, and enjoy the appreciation when you make it a legit 2.5 bath home.

Old 10-24-2013, 10:37 AM

819 posts, read 3,198,927 times
Quote:

You're correct, since the bathroom is in the basement, this is considered below living space.

"Anything that is below grade isn't something an appraiser will count as part of the living area. They may, however, make an "adjustment" of value accounting for the finished space"

9 Important Things To Know About Appraisals And Comps - Curbed University - Curbed DC

Old 10-26-2013, 03:16 PM

302 posts, read 2,225,153 times
Quote:
The appraiser doesn't determine if something is up to code or not.

Old 10-27-2013, 11:01 AM

382 posts, read 799,406 times
Buy the house and don't worry about a stupid bathroom.

Old 10-27-2013, 11:09 AM

225 posts, read 717,664 times
Bergenite, I said the appraiser might not view it as a half bath if it isn't to code/w permits, not that the appraiser would determine if it was up to code or not. If it's blatantly not a half bathroom and you are paying for a 1.5 bath that is really a 1 bath, the appraisal calling it a 1 bath is going to impact what the bank will lend and what the home is worth.

Old 10-27-2013, 12:34 PM

11,337 posts, read 10,969,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HollaGeo View Post
Buy the house and don't worry about a stupid bathroom.
This advice is probably correct. The appraiser will not give much, if any, credit for an isolated 1/2 bath in an otherwise unfinished basement. Many appraisers will ignore it, however it is more likely to attract attention in an appraisal for an FHA loan then for one in a conventional loan.

As for value, an isolated 1/2 bath in an unfinished basement has no effect on value, and no effect on property taxes.

Basement baths are not counted in the room count. If a house has 6 rooms, 3 bedrooms, and a bath on the main level and a bath in the basement, the room count is 6-3-1, not 6-3-2.

The appraiser can give some credit to the basement bath, but it will be sharply reduced. It will have more value as part of a legitimate finished basement. But if the basement is unfinished except for a bath, there is little value accorded to the bath.

Old 10-29-2013, 08:29 AM

6 posts, read 17,028 times
I wouldn't worry about it unless you're unlucky enough the house floods due to the un-permitted plumbing, your insurance company has a right to deny coverage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey