Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2013, 11:17 AM

1,947 posts, read 3,323,106 times

Advertisements

I have noticed for the past several months an odor in the waterfront area. Smells like sewer gas. Anyone know what is going on? I didn't notice before Hurricane Sandy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2013, 11:55 AM

12,883 posts, read 13,988,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiLIFE View Post
I have noticed for the past several months an odor in the waterfront area. Smells like sewer gas. Anyone know what is going on? I didn't notice before Hurricane Sandy.
Can you be more specific? Bay, ocean, lagoons? Rivers? And what towns specifically?

I was in Seaside Park for 2 weeks during the summer and never noticed a thing, but I have heard claims that bay front areas of the state do have a certain smell to them. The bay sure looked a lot different this summer. The color was off. A lot of homes still have yet to be gutted, believe it or not, mold is still prevalent. I'm sure this contributes. Towns like Ortley for one haven't really improved and are still blocked off, things aren't yet in order in many places.

Old 10-28-2013, 12:17 PM

1,787 posts, read 5,747,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
Can you be more specific? Bay, ocean, lagoons? Rivers? And what towns specifically?

I was in Seaside Park for 2 weeks during the summer and never noticed a thing, but I have heard claims that bay front areas of the state do have a certain smell to them. The bay sure looked a lot different this summer. The color was off. A lot of homes still have yet to be gutted, believe it or not, mold is still prevalent. I'm sure this contributes. Towns like Ortley for one haven't really improved and are still blocked off, things aren't yet in order in many places.
Take a ride through Ortley now. It has improved a lot since the beginning of the summer; I took a ride about a week ago. There's a lot of activity going on...detours, houses being demolished, being raised, being rebuilt. It's a mess, but life is returning. I didn't notice any peculiar odors.

Old 10-28-2013, 01:06 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,988,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timneh5 View Post
Take a ride through Ortley now. It has improved a lot since the beginning of the summer; I took a ride about a week ago. There's a lot of activity going on...detours, houses being demolished, being raised, being rebuilt. It's a mess, but life is returning. I didn't notice any peculiar odors.
Oh, I know it has. A lot of the homes have been demolished, new ones built, existing ones raised. That's been going on since at least the end of summer when I was staying in SP. But it's still in pretty bad shape overall. It was easily one of the worst hit towns, it won't bounce back in a year and it hasn't. Especially when you compare Ortley to some towns that look like they were barely touched.

Old 10-28-2013, 02:35 PM

391 posts, read 1,476,349 times
When sand is pumped from the ocean/bay back up onto the beach it can cause a funky smell. not sure if that's what your smelling OP, but it's a possibility.

Old 10-28-2013, 04:39 PM

1,947 posts, read 3,323,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post

Sorry. I should've been more specific. Jersey City waterfront and also along Columbus headed towards Grove.

Old 10-28-2013, 05:25 PM

6 posts, read 17,200 times
I think the odor may be more sinister than due to sand pumping. I refused to swim at the shore after my surfing suit smelled like a toxic dump after two outings at Long Branch and Cape May. There was nothing organic about the odor or taste of the water.

When Dolphins and thousands of dead menhaden wash up at various shore points like we had this year, there is cause for concern. After a storm of Sandy's magnitude, who knows what was dredged up or co-mingled with what sewerage.

I don't believe the EPA when they speculate so many marine deaths are due to oxygen levels. The Seagulls are menhaden natural predators and they wouldn't touch them. Seagulls would swoop in to grab a clipped toenail and they wouldn't touch this sushi platter washing up? That tells you something. Just not sure what.

Thousands of dead fish line Jersey shore | 6abc.com

Dolphin Deaths Continue as Gov

Old 10-28-2013, 05:35 PM

513 posts, read 1,167,220 times
Here's a recent story about it from The Star Ledger: Residents who live near newly rebuilt Jersey Shore dune say it's ugly, smelly | NJ.com

Old 10-28-2013, 09:53 PM

10,222 posts, read 19,210,835 times
Quote:
The sand appears darker because it is very saturated and has some natural organic material in it from sitting at the bottom of the bay
Or, to put it in plain English, it's full of poo.

Old 10-29-2013, 07:09 AM

6 posts, read 17,200 times
Looks like the same color as the soil absorption area over my septic tank when it leaked.

I didn't see Christie in the water when he was promoting the shore this year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey