Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-04-2013, 03:58 PM

3 posts, read 8,702 times

Advertisements

So, I just moved to Hasbrouck Heights from the Midwest and I am wondering how public transport works between North Jersey and NYC? There's a nearby NJ Transit bus stop that goes to the PATH terminal in NYC on 8th Ave, but how do I get around from there?

Specifically, I'm confused about the difference between NJ Transit, PATH, and MTA. If I want to get a monthly pass, do I have to get one for NJ Transit, PATH, and MTA? Or is NJ Transit enough to get me to the main areas? What do normal daily-commuters do?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2013, 04:08 PM

2,535 posts, read 6,666,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notlepats View Post
So, I just moved to Hasbrouck Heights from the Midwest and I am wondering how public transport works between North Jersey and NYC? There's a nearby NJ Transit bus stop that goes to the PATH terminal in NYC on 8th Ave, but how do I get around from there?

Specifically, I'm confused about the difference between NJ Transit, PATH, and MTA. If I want to get a monthly pass, do I have to get one for NJ Transit, PATH, and MTA? Or is NJ Transit enough to get me to the main areas? What do normal daily-commuters do?
NJ Transit has:

The NJ Transit Bus System
The NJ Transit Light Rail System
The NJ Transit Rail system
The NJ Transit PATH Train

The MTA is a New York Operation and for your purposes consists of:

The MTA NYC Subway System
The MTA NYC Bus System

Commuting is pretty simple. If you are taking the bus you are taking it to the Port Authority Bus Terminal which is on 8th ave(this is not to be confused with the PATH train which terminates in NYC in Herald Square and at the World Trade Center). At the Port Authority Bus terminal you can connect to the MTA NYC Subway and bus system. They are completely separate from NJ Trainsit and require separate passes for each( although passes for MTA work both on the MTA Bus and MTA Subway).

Old 11-04-2013, 04:13 PM

3 posts, read 8,702 times
Awesome, that explains it perfectly. Thank you!

Old 11-04-2013, 08:30 PM

3,021 posts, read 5,850,718 times
These sites may be helpful:

NJ Transit train & bus schedules, fares, etc.
www.njtransit.com

PATH train.
PATH - The Port Authority of NY & NJ

MTA NYC subway & bus info.
nyct | MTA

Old 11-04-2013, 08:34 PM

3,021 posts, read 5,850,718 times
Also, note that the farthest uptown that PATH stops in Manhattan is 33rd Street & 6th Ave.

For the commute that you describe PATH would not be relevant.

If you want to post the cross-streets where you work than someone can answer with directions from Port Authority to your work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey