Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2013, 12:28 PM

929 posts, read 1,659,393 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ansky View Post
I lived in Highland Park when I was in my mid 20's. Aside from a couple dive bars there is absolutely nothing to do. I always ended up going out in New Brunswick every weekend. And I don't know why people are saying Edison and North Brunswick are "vibrant". Aside from the strip malls along Route 1 there is nothing going on in those towns.
Rt. 1 in NoBrunz is more lively for young people than most other areas in Middlesex. I know people who drive 20 miles just to go there.

And the Menlo Park Mall in Edison is more than anything you'll find in say, "historic" (read: old) Cranbury.

The dine-in movie theater is ALWAYS filled with 18-35's.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2013, 05:19 PM

3,410 posts, read 4,466,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EBWick View Post
New Brunswick has lots of 20-somethings and more to do than Highland Pk.
The OP didn't want to live around "too many" minorities, so New Brunswick is out of the picture.

Old 11-04-2013, 06:56 PM

19 posts, read 85,187 times
Maybe the OP should open her mind along with her eyes and realize NJ is a major melting pot, especially Middlesex Co.

Old 11-04-2013, 08:11 PM

11,879 posts, read 14,203,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby BK View Post
Rt. 1 in NoBrunz is more lively for young people than most other areas in Middlesex. I know people who drive 20 miles just to go there.
Thanks for your encouragement and support. Hope you visit North Brunswick again .

Old 11-04-2013, 08:49 PM

To the Original poster:

If you want to live in a lively town for youngsters in Middlesex county, its important to accept diversity as a part of life. Its not all that difficult getting along with people from different cultural backgrounds, especially when you are 23. If you truly feel uncomfortable, find clubs and organizations in Middlesex County which are likely to have people who share values and interests similar to yours.

However, my advice is, don't be afraid to live in a diverse environment. This is the age you can thrust yourself forward into the unknown and get along with others. Its a phase all of us need to experience in life. Because, later on you may not have a choice and find yourself in different and varied environment. Such situations demand that you adjust and live comfortably under such conditions.

This is coming from a 21 year old Rutgers Engineering student.

Old 11-04-2013, 09:12 PM

929 posts, read 1,659,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adi from the Brunswicks View Post
Thanks for your encouragement and support. Hope you visit North Brunswick again .
I visit all the time. Was just there over the weekend with friends who are more local to the area - thank goodness Rutgers had an early game and there was no UFC event, or my 20 minute wait at BWW would have been over an hour.

Old 11-05-2013, 05:48 AM

279 posts, read 1,086,429 times
I just don't understand what is in Highland park or North Brunswick to rave about for a young 23 y/o to live. Putting aside the diversity thing, New Bruns would be most suitable.

Old 11-05-2013, 08:02 AM

1,247 posts, read 3,024,749 times
North Brunswick has the famous Barasky's North Brunswick Pub that has been there forever, as well as a few other hole in the wall places like Arthur's, Rusty Nail and Lory's Lakeside, but most of Rt 1 consists of chain restaurants like TGI Fridays (which I hate), Chili's, Bertucci's, Longhorn, Buffalo Wild Wings etc. But this is all strip-mally.

Downtown New Brunswick and the Easton Ave area are far more vibrant, and you do not have to worry about driving as much. Highland is a bedroom community, it's suburban. There is that new BBQ place where the old Charlie Brown's was, and of course White Rose System, but even that became pointless once they opened a new one on Easton.

http://www.newbrunswicknightout.com/

Old 11-05-2013, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsmgvr4 View Post
I just don't understand what is in Highland park or North Brunswick to rave about for a young 23 y/o to live. Putting aside the diversity thing, New Bruns would be most suitable.
Very true, But it depends which part of New Brunswick you are talking about. There are some pretty sketchy and ghetto areas in town, especially around jersey avenue and south of the train station. I was detoured through that area once at night due to a massive accident on 18 south, and could not wait to get out .

Old 11-05-2013, 02:15 PM

13 posts, read 52,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adi from the Brunswicks View Post
Very true, But it depends which part of New Brunswick you are talking about. There are some pretty sketchy and ghetto areas in town, especially around jersey avenue and south of the train station. I was detoured through that area once at night due to a massive accident on 18 south, and could not wait to get out .
Two words: Remsen Ave.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey