Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2013, 07:57 AM

1,787 posts, read 5,736,966 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by movinout77 View Post
Honest question: what's the appeal of Christie and the State he governs?
.....While taxes haven't gone up at the insane pace they used to, the townships around me have been cutting services left and right, nickeling and diming people with higher fines, permit fees, etc. Tolls and public transportation fares have indeed gone up since I've been here.

.....I see him, as my family would say, a "gavone". Do most people out here really prefer this approach? Why? (I could understand perfectly if the answer is that it's better than most other alternatives available at the times of his elections.) And what's all this bragging about NJ -- to what great things about the state is he vaguely referring?

I'm more curious than anything else -- looking for the thoughts of supporters and opponents alike. Thanks.
I don't care how he acts; I like him. My real estate taxes have gone down in the past two years and I haven't felt any loss of services. Prior to that, my taxes were rising $500 a year. Townships have always nickel and dimed people with fines, permit fees, and anything else they can think of. That's really nothing new.

"The rates were approved in 2008 under Corzine, a Democrat. Republican Governor Chris Christie, who defeated Corzine in 2009, said the tolls are impossible to roll back because the state sold bonds based on the anticipated revenue." link: N.J. Turnpike, Parkway Users Face Toll Increase Jan. 1 in Corzine Legacy - Bloomberg

People vote for him [or not] based on what he stands for and not because he's better than the other alternative "available" at the time of the election.

You come on here asking an honest question of CC's appeal, but I can't help feel the undertones of dislike [hate, disappointment] for NJ. What were you expecting when you moved here? What are your disappointments? Are you originally from NY? Who would be your ideal Governor? Thank you for your honest answers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2013, 08:48 AM

23 posts, read 160,741 times
Wish I knew how to deal with multiple quotes better but here it goes...

JerseyMan -
Quote:
"He has like a rock star appeal to him. The media loves him and drools over him the way they USED to drool over Obama. I live in the shore area and it's still is devasted just about everyone I know said they would NOT vote for him because he gives the impression that the area is fixed."
PatrickMD -
Quote:
"He seems to be quite popular and newsworthy here in the UK."
So it's sounding to me that his reputation is media-created, at least in part. Makes sense -- like Obama. I can't imagine our friends in the UK kvetching about our property taxes and tolls. I think this kind of sucks that we as a society allow ourselves to be influenced to that extent. I think it's the same reason why there hasn't been anything worthwhile on TV or the radio for 15+ years now (but that's just me).

NJ0735 - "
Quote:
Everything else aside, however - whomever the person was in charge of the Buono campaign should never work in politics again. That may have been one of the most ineffectual, disjointed and poorly managed political campaigns for higher office that we have seen in decades."
I see it as the Democrats saw this as a losing battle and couldn't care less. They didn't fund the candidate, didn't try to promote her, etc. I'm not sure this is a wise strategy though. Christie is now going to make the point that he was elected in a landslide in a state generally unfriendly to Republicans. He may really get an ever-more-swelled head over it. But more seriously, for the Democrats, there's even more of an aura of invincibility that they may have to deal with in '16. If they put up a real fight and he won, say 53-45, it'd have been a slightly tougher sell.

Old 11-06-2013, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
Leadership.

Lefties/obama - what's the appeal?
Can you elaborate on "Leadership"? Which qualities, and was that more important to you than other functions or attributes of being governor?

OK, I'll bite. I made my original post as unbiased as I could, but that's always tough. Most of my political views are quite liberal, but on some things, more center/center-right. I'm pretty disgusted by all parties nowadays and really think we can benefit by having a 3rd or 4th party, but our system makes it so difficult.

As someone previously mentioned, I think Obama was also, in part, a media creation. His appeal is (was, lol) someone who would bring intellectualism and diplomacy back to the White House. The "post-partisan" president. Whatever -- didn't work -- with some things not being his fault. His aloof, conciliatory leadership style early on cost him big time (in this respect, he could have taken a page or two out of Christie's playbook). Early on, he also hired all these well-connected Goldman Sachs losers and kept on the overseers of two of Bush's biggest failures (the crash of '08 and the Iraq War). No thanks -- no change, really.

Old 11-06-2013, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timneh5 View Post
I don't care how he acts; I like him. My real estate taxes have gone down in the past two years and I haven't felt any loss of services. Prior to that, my taxes were rising $500 a year. Townships have always nickel and dimed people with fines, permit fees, and anything else they can think of. That's really nothing new.

"The rates were approved in 2008 under Corzine, a Democrat. Republican Governor Chris Christie, who defeated Corzine in 2009, said the tolls are impossible to roll back because the state sold bonds based on the anticipated revenue." link: N.J. Turnpike, Parkway Users Face Toll Increase Jan. 1 in Corzine Legacy - Bloomberg

People vote for him [or not] based on what he stands for and not because he's better than the other alternative "available" at the time of the election.

You come on here asking an honest question of CC's appeal, but I can't help feel the undertones of dislike [hate, disappointment] for NJ. What were you expecting when you moved here? What are your disappointments? Are you originally from NY? Who would be your ideal Governor? Thank you for your honest answers.

Ah, yes. Corzine - the gift that keeps on giving. How is this guy not in jail already? I remember Corzine wanted the tolls to average something like 50% increase every couple of years. Loser. Christie did cave on the Port Authority fares though, if I remember correctly.

I respectfully disagree with the second quoted above paragraph. I think more generally, and too often, voters find themselves voting for whom they dislike least. I'm not sure if this election was an exception, and maybe it was, which could have prompted my original post.

I'm sorry those sentiments bled through, but they're genuine. Christie always refers to how proud he is from this state and vaguely alludes to the great things about it, but I seriously don't know what he's talking about. Can someone educate me? I'm being sincere.

I'll take a couple of minutes to give my background. I've taken the well-worn path of being born in Brooklyn, raised on Staten Island, and moved to Central NJ by choice as an adult. I moved out of Staten Island b/c even in my lifetime (I'm 36), it's gotten so overcrowded, overdeveloped, dirtier and just unpleasant. I moved here not really b/c I liked where I was going to, but b/c I hated where I was coming from. I'm not sure how long I'm going to tolerate living in the northeast. It's too cold, expensive, and everyone seems to be trying to rip you off. But my family is here and so is my job, and those are not exactly trivial.

If I had to rate my existence on SI, I tell people it was 0/10. My Jersey situation is 2/10. I came here thinking it'd be somewhat cheaper to live (and it is, at least in this part of the State), there'd be somewhat less controlling gov't than NYC (not so -- my township seems to require a permit to pass wind in my back yard; in other parts of the State, you can't even leave your car on a public street overnight w/o the cops' permission). While you can buy any soda size you like, there was talk about having to put your dog in a special seat belt. Conveniently timed red-light cameras. It just never ends.

I don't mind "strip mall hell" that others whine about -- I like having more space out here. I just wish I moved to an area where there weren't as many rude ex-Staten Islanders who think their crap doesn't stink. That's my fault, and I'm going to sell my house and try a different part of the State soon.

I also didn't realize how corrupt the local governments are. My wife is an extremely qualified teacher who can't find a job anywhere - and this was before things got bad. In one case, she lost to a less-qualified relative of the curriculum developer (you know, the person who gets paid well in excess of $100K to pick out the books already mandated by the State). That alone isn't enough to say there's corruption, but when you read constant stories like the Edison police fiasco, it just doesn't look good. That's one other thing that bothers me about the state is how excessive some municipal compensation/pensions are - and Christie seems to have targeted mostly the teachers, who in comparison with other NYC suburbs, actually don't make a whole lot.

I could go on and on, but bottom line, I thought there'd be more of a difference between NY and NJ. As for an ideal governor, I wish I had more time to think about it, but a less in-your-face, less-partisan version of Christie would be a good center-right choice. Targeting teachers, Dem-appointed justices, vetoing popular bills just comes across to me as spiteful. Other times, I think his approach is refreshing, like when he put the kibosh on that ridiculous tunnel. So, mixed feelings, but I could see why he's more effective than Corzine or McGreevy (lol) -- that's not tough competition though. I haven't the time now to think about whether I'd prefer any other type from either inside or outside the State. But, good question.

Old 11-06-2013, 10:29 AM

1,049 posts, read 4,013,434 times
He tells it how it is. That's all we want. Plus the fact that Jon Corzine taxed up the wazoo without any reason. The blatant waste of taxpayer money was and still is a slap in the face.

There are places where the money is waiting to be reaped, but they just come after the tax payer. It must be easier that way. The lazy cowards that they are.

Old 11-06-2013, 10:31 AM

1,787 posts, read 5,736,966 times
Quote:
Ah, yes. Corzine - the gift that keeps on giving. How is this guy not in jail already? ....
That's the million dollar question. Thank you for your heartfelt answers.

Old 11-06-2013, 10:39 AM

13,384 posts, read 28,660,475 times
Quote:
Ah, yes. Corzine - the gift that keeps on giving. How is this guy not in jail already? I remember Corzine wanted the tolls to average something like 50% increase every couple of years. Loser. Christie did cave on the Port Authority fares though, if I remember correctly.

I respectfully disagree with the second quoted above paragraph. I think more generally, and too often, voters find themselves voting for whom they dislike least. I'm not sure if this election was an exception, and maybe it was, which could have prompted my original post.

I'm sorry those sentiments bled through, but they're genuine. Christie always refers to how proud he is from this state and vaguely alludes to the great things about it, but I seriously don't know what he's talking about. Can someone educate me? I'm being sincere.

I'll take a couple of minutes to give my background. I've taken the well-worn path of being born in Brooklyn, raised on Staten Island, and moved to Central NJ by choice as an adult. I moved out of Staten Island b/c even in my lifetime (I'm 36), it's gotten so overcrowded, overdeveloped, dirtier and just unpleasant. I moved here not really b/c I liked where I was going to, but b/c I hated where I was coming from. I'm not sure how long I'm going to tolerate living in the northeast. It's too cold, expensive, and everyone seems to be trying to rip you off. But my family is here and so is my job, and those are not exactly trivial.

If I had to rate my existence on SI, I tell people it was 0/10. My Jersey situation is 2/10. I came here thinking it'd be somewhat cheaper to live (and it is, at least in this part of the State), there'd be somewhat less controlling gov't than NYC (not so -- my township seems to require a permit to pass wind in my back yard; in other parts of the State, you can't even leave your car on a public street overnight w/o the cops' permission). While you can buy any soda size you like, there was talk about having to put your dog in a special seat belt. Conveniently timed red-light cameras. It just never ends.

I don't mind "strip mall hell" that others whine about -- I like having more space out here. I just wish I moved to an area where there weren't as many rude ex-Staten Islanders who think their crap doesn't stink. That's my fault, and I'm going to sell my house and try a different part of the State soon.

I also didn't realize how corrupt the local governments are. My wife is an extremely qualified teacher who can't find a job anywhere - and this was before things got bad. In one case, she lost to a less-qualified relative of the curriculum developer (you know, the person who gets paid well in excess of $100K to pick out the books already mandated by the State). That alone isn't enough to say there's corruption, but when you read constant stories like the Edison police fiasco, it just doesn't look good. That's one other thing that bothers me about the state is how excessive some municipal compensation/pensions are - and Christie seems to have targeted mostly the teachers, who in comparison with other NYC suburbs, actually don't make a whole lot.

I could go on and on, but bottom line, I thought there'd be more of a difference between NY and NJ. As for an ideal governor, I wish I had more time to think about it, but a less in-your-face, less-partisan version of Christie would be a good center-right choice. Targeting teachers, Dem-appointed justices, vetoing popular bills just comes across to me as spiteful. Other times, I think his approach is refreshing, like when he put the kibosh on that ridiculous tunnel. So, mixed feelings, but I could see why he's more effective than Corzine or McGreevy (lol) -- that's not tough competition though. I haven't the time now to think about whether I'd prefer any other type from either inside or outside the State. But, good question.
As far as pensions not sure about the teachers but police and fireman pensions were well funded, they also contibute to them until Gov Christine Whitman borrowed against those funds to balance her tax credits and they've never been paid back, if you or I did with pension funds what some of these politicians did we would be in jail

Old 11-06-2013, 11:54 AM

2,098 posts, read 3,516,157 times
In my mind, there should have been no pension restructuring. There should be no pension reward for public workers. I don't applaud Christie for this, but there was a lot of pressure from the rabid unions to get something reformed. Again, I don't understand why a toll booth worker can make 265K and get a pension but a regular office Joe at a white collar job just has a 401K.

Public workers will continue to make this state completely broke until something REALLY gets done. I do like Christie otherwise. He has a great personality and has made many good strides otherwise -- not to pension a breath of fresh air compared to that dickweed Jon Corzine.

Unfortunately fixing the state economy isn't one of the goals achieved. It won't be fixed until the bottom line is fixed (unions.)

Old 11-06-2013, 12:05 PM

13,384 posts, read 28,660,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freshflakes757 View Post
In my mind, there should have been no pension restructuring. There should be no pension reward for public workers. I don't applaud Christie for this, but there was a lot of pressure from the rabid unions to get something reformed. Again, I don't understand why a toll booth worker can make 265K and get a pension but a regular office Joe at a white collar job just has a 401K.

Public workers will continue to make this state completely broke until something REALLY gets done. I do like Christie otherwise. He has a great personality and has made many good strides otherwise -- not to pension a breath of fresh air compared to that dickweed Jon Corzine.

Unfortunately fixing the state economy isn't one of the goals achieved. It won't be fixed until the bottom line is fixed (unions.)
Show me one toll booth worker not in a supervisory capacity making that amount of money. That is a huge exaggeration.

Here are two of the highest salaries on there no where near 265K..I removed the names, if you want to know go look it up

Birth

Group Code

Employer

Salary

Tot. Salary*

Years

veteran code

enrollment date

2 lookup

2.0 lookup

NJ TURNPIKE AUTHORITY

$94,248

$94,248

2 lookup

2.0 lookup

NJ TURNPIKE AUTHORITY

$94,236

$94,236

Old 11-06-2013, 12:12 PM

150 posts, read 644,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njkate View Post
Show me one toll booth worker not in a supervisory capacity making that amount of money. That is a huge exaggeration.
How can you justify $265K/year even for a supervisory capacity job for toll booths? That's the salary a doctor with after (4 years bachelor + 4 years MD + internship / residency) + 1 year experience makes. Sure, the doctor's salary quickly shoots to about 500K after another 5 years, but how can anyone related to toll booth operations be justified to have 265K salary?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey