Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2013, 06:02 AM

1,931 posts, read 3,413,883 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by movinout77 View Post
I learned something from this thread, which was my intent. I see now after seeing the cringe-worthy list of previous governors that Christie is an improvement over his predecessors in approach and effectiveness in trying to clean up this state. People seem to have been longing for that and were frustrated. I can appreciate that. I think we are generally headed in the right direction, even if I disagree with him more often than I'd like. And the media will inflate things since they're looking for any kind of unique celebrity, which I think he is.

As for the side-topic regarding public employee compensation, I have mixed feelings on this. Except for owners and those of us at the top of the chain, the private sector has been getting the shaft for over 30 years now. Our productivity is higher, yet pensions are replaced with 401k's, overtime is typically uncompensated for professionals, health/fringe benefits have been lousier (WAY before Obamacare), and inflation-adjusted wages have been flat forever.

Public sector workers have been more insulated from "globalization" and the other downward influences on compensation. Some think we should cut them back to what they'd get in the private sector and further the race to the bottom. Others wish for the private sector to gain ground, but I don't see the tide changing soon. A far-left populist is unlikely to be elected nationally, and we have "right to work" and "at will" climates that make it impossible to use our only strength to make that happen - number.

Instead, the middle class is left divided. And it's by generation too -- the fewer Gen X/Y'ers paying for the already-promised goodies to the many Baby Boomers. So, someone like me is being squeezed by private sector pressures and by taxation, through which I have to pay for others' benefits I can only dream of. This dichotomy just isn't sustainable in the long-run as those who are mobile will just find someplace else to go instead of being stuck holding the bag. It's a festering problem.

Divide and conquer is all politicians best tool. Convince the masses that the guy who has a little more of something should be against the guy who has a little more. Public,Private,blah blah blah. Everyone is trying to get by while the big fish are doing a great job of pitting us guppies against each other.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2013, 06:24 AM

2,499 posts, read 2,626,763 times
He is not against what they do he just wants the public to think he is against what they do. He sees horse trading with them-he gets either votes from their machine or at least non-support of his opponent and they get their hands in the money for charter schools.

Old 11-07-2013, 10:32 AM

2,098 posts, read 3,525,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njkate View Post
Fresh you really need to pull up stakes and move out of NJ, your posts make it crystal clear you're not a happy camper living here.

With the exception of areas of Newark, areas of Paterson, areas of Lakewood and Camden as a whole most of NJ is pretty safe. There are always pockets of crime but when I look at the stats for other states, especially Florida and some other southern states we are doing good, could always be better
Actually I already moved --

(Tahiti then comes out of the woodwork and says "GOOD!")

Old 11-07-2013, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bababua View Post
NJ is an amazing state. WE vote for Obama by a rather large margin and then we vote for Christie even more so. One Dem one Rep (if by name only). Then we vote to tie the minimum wage to the constitution, a measure that Christie was against. Then we keep the state senate and legislature under Dem control. Talk about helter skelter.
Not sure this would have all happened had Sandy not occurred but it did. My question to you people is. How do you swallow Chris Christie's relationship with some of the sleaziest Dems in NJ, especially Brian Stack and douple dipping/salary flipping Joe Divincenzo? I have such a hard time with him getting close to these people who are doing exactly what is supposedly against.
Voting for Obama again in the second term is not something to be proud of

Old 11-07-2013, 10:58 AM

13,404 posts, read 28,729,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freshflakes757 View Post
Actually I already moved --

(Tahiti then comes out of the woodwork and says "GOOD!")
I truly do hope you are happy with where you moved

Old 11-07-2013, 11:43 AM

1,931 posts, read 3,413,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freshflakes757 View Post
Voting for Obama again in the second term is not something to be proud of
I cant say its good or bad because we all have to wait it out and see how we come out of this in the future. That applies to both Rep and Dem candidates. That being said I wasnt saying it was good or bad more or less I would trying to point out how crazy things are.

Old 11-07-2013, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bababua View Post
I cant say its good or bad because we all have to wait it out and see how we come out of this in the future. That applies to both Rep and Dem candidates. That being said I wasnt saying it was good or bad more or less I would trying to point out how crazy things are.
Based on how things are now: the shutdown, obamacare debocle, Syria, lack of transparancy in the administration, people are FINALLY starting to lose faith in Obama. Not to mention his approval rating is sub 40%

Although it's really too little too late. His approval ratings will be like how Bush II was in the middle of his second term.

Old 11-07-2013, 12:23 PM

Any pol sooner or later needs to fix problems. The goodwill the governor has from Sandy will dissipate if the results do not come. Right now progress on the Sandy front has been slow. If that continues it will have an impact.

Old 11-07-2013, 02:46 PM

31,340 posts, read 14,265,634 times
He's blunt.
He's honest.
He has a sense of humor. (frequent appearances on Imus In The Morning)
He's a leader.

Old 11-07-2013, 03:27 PM

Define leader and why is he one?

If you send a letter to teachers and cops stating that those who say you are going to change the terms of their pension are misleading them and then you change the term of their pension is that honest? If you say that a NJ Transit lower level employee can not be fired because of civil service and NJ Transit workers are not covered by civil service is that honest?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey