Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2013, 12:30 PM

10 posts, read 15,060 times

Advertisements

Thanks guys! I have looked at Haddonfield and it is definitely on my list. I have looked at the pictures of Westfield and it is beautiful! We are going there this weekend. Lanbertville looks nice too. Definitely going to visit. Thanks, so much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2013, 01:04 PM

929 posts, read 1,659,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanonGrace View Post
Lambertville?
Not traditionally "family-friendly". New Hope, PA is a Wiccan/LGBT/hipster mecca, and they're attached by a walking bridge.

Old 11-12-2013, 05:38 PM

1,450 posts, read 3,454,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tp75 View Post
Hi, I have been reading the city-data forums for years and this is my first time posting...

My husband and I have been looking for a small town, with a beautiful main street and downtown area, with a close community. We want the "friday night lights" kind of town..but in the Northeast, preferably NJ (but open minded).

I am from NJ and my husband from MD. We have lived MD for 10 years and came back to NJ. We have 3 children ages 1, 11, and 13. We want a place to lay down roots and for our kids to call their town. I know there is no place that is perfect but I would like to find the place that feels perfect to us.

Does anyone know of a town like this??

My first thought when reading your post is to to tell you to check out Madison, it is exactly what you indicate you are looking for. A quick search on City Data Forum will bring up a ton of info on the town, here is one fairly recent thread, //www.city-data.com/forum/new-j...-me-about.html

Madison is so picturesque it has been the location for several movies, tv shows and commercials. It is the essence of a small town Mayberry RFD life, where everyone knows their neighbors, volunteerism is high, and people really care. Here is a link to an NYT article from a few years back that gives you a pretty good look into the town, http://www.nytimes.com/2008/06/15/re...pagewanted=all

KoalaNJ

Old 11-12-2013, 05:45 PM

667 posts, read 1,744,677 times
Quote:
Thanks guys! I have looked at Haddonfield and it is definitely on my list. I have looked at the pictures of Westfield and it is beautiful! We are going there this weekend. Lanbertville looks nice too. Definitely going to visit. Thanks, so much!

400-500k in Westfield for a family of 5... good luck with that one.

Old 11-13-2013, 08:14 AM

1,947 posts, read 3,323,106 times
Quote:
Hi, I have been reading the city-data forums for years and this is my first time posting...

My husband and I have been looking for a small town, with a beautiful main street and downtown area, with a close community. We want the "friday night lights" kind of town..but in the Northeast, preferably NJ (but open minded).

I am from NJ and my husband from MD. We have lived MD for 10 years and came back to NJ. We have 3 children ages 1, 11, and 13. We want a place to lay down roots and for our kids to call their town. I know there is no place that is perfect but I would like to find the place that feels perfect to us.

Does anyone know of a town like this??
downtown Morristown. It has great community theater (Mayo Performing Arts Center), an emerging foodie scene (Farm-to-table restaurant opening at Vail Mansion in Morristown this spring | NJ.com), a town square and tons of history. You should have lunch there and walk around.

Old 11-13-2013, 10:41 AM

1,787 posts, read 5,747,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby BK View Post
So is Hightstown (a town mentioned above). Their police department is renting room inside of a store because flood damage from Hurricane Irene destroyed/damaged much of the town, including their HQ.
The police dept. is not inside a store. Hopefully you'll never need them, but if you do, the police are located in the Lucas Electric building, 415 Mercer St., Rt. 33.

Hightstown did have flooding from Hurricane Irene, but that flooding is not normal to the town. It was rumored Hightstown officials could not lower the lake without DEP approval and then open the flood gates. Before Hurricane Sandy came, this didn't look like a problem...the lake was low before the storm. And, some people blame the Turnpike construction project on flooding.

Much of the town was not damaged by flooding. There are houses on the lake that never received water damage.

In my lifetime, Cranbury has had two floods, Hurricane Irene being the most serious, just like other towns that never had flooding.

Lambertville has floods.
City of Lambertville, New Jersey - Flood Plan Management
Swan Creek - had the most damage in recent floods due to the back-flooding from the Delaware River through the aqueduct that passes the Delaware and Raritan Canal.
Lambert Lane - Commercial and residential properties along Lambert Lane are directly flooded from the Delaware River.
Alexauken Creek - As with Swan Creek, the Alexauken Creek floodplain back-flows from the Delaware River. The areas that is impacted includes the north most end of North Union Street and just north of and adjacent to Cherry Street.
--For more information on local flood hazards contact the Lambertville City Construction Office.

River Crests at Lambertville, N.J.; Evacuations in Place - Yahoo Voices - voices.yahoo.com
The Delaware River crested today four feet above flood stage at Lambertville, N.J., 15 miles north of Trenton. Minor flooding forced evacuations of homes and businesses on Swan Street and Lambert Lane, two of the city's most flood-prone zones.

Haddonfield is a good choice, too. TP75, hurricane Irene caused flooding in a lot of areas that never had flooding before and people are quick to say "that" town has flooding. Part of your decision making might include a trip to the municipal office and ask them if the town has had any flooding issues and if it has, where does the town flood. I would also check the new FEMA flood zones that should be coming out soon.

Old 11-13-2013, 05:20 PM

11,345 posts, read 16,705,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timneh5 View Post
Hightstown is in the middle of Philly and NYC, 50 miles each way. You can also catch the bus on Rt. 33/Franklin St. to get to NY. Hightstown High School and Peddie School both have football. The town of Cranbury is also nice, but not 100% sure about the "open minded" part. If I think I know what you mean by that, Hightstown is "open minded."
Downtown Hightstown Inc
Peddie School
Perennial Home: unique home furnishings, gifts, accessories and more.
Tavern On The Lake
Houses of Worship : Downtown Hightstown Inc
Hightstown Triathlon

NJ Department of Community Affairs

Good luck with your search~
I would stay away from Highstown as it has a serious illegal immigration problem...or so I've been told...LOL

Old 11-18-2013, 07:52 PM

324 posts, read 575,230 times
As other posters have mentioned, North Jersey has a lot of towns with nice, walkable downtowns (Westfield, Cranford, Montclair, etc.). However, I'm just not sure many of those towns have the close knit feel. It's so densely populated that not everyone knows everyone else. Also, I think involvement in community activities (such as the town's high school football game) is lower when there's so much else around and all of the communities blend together.

I believe your perfect town is in a more rural area (maybe in Central or South Jersey) that has a distinct downtown area. Also, it might make sense to avoid the high cost areas of North Jersey since you both work from home and wouldn't be earning more by living in those areas.

Old 11-19-2013, 01:01 PM

2,734 posts, read 4,150,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KoalaNJ View Post
My first thought when reading your post is to to tell you to check out Madison, it is exactly what you indicate you are looking for. A quick search on City Data Forum will bring up a ton of info on the town, here is one fairly recent thread, //www.city-data.com/forum/new-j...-me-about.html

Madison is so picturesque it has been the location for several movies, tv shows and commercials. It is the essence of a small town Mayberry RFD life, where everyone knows their neighbors, volunteerism is high, and people really care. Here is a link to an NYT article from a few years back that gives you a pretty good look into the town, http://www.nytimes.com/2008/06/15/re...pagewanted=all

KoalaNJ
First place I thought of was Madison, but I don't know if they would find anything in the $400-500K price range.

Old 11-19-2013, 02:10 PM

1,450 posts, read 3,454,281 times
Default t

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewJerseyMemories View Post
First place I thought of was Madison, but I don't know if they would find anything in the $400-500K price range.
I did a quick search on Zillow and there were 4 (3+ br) homes currently on the market in Madison in the 400-500k range. Including this one which looks quite nice with period woodwork and an updated Kitchen. 38 Pine Ave, Madison, NJ 07940 is For Sale - Zillow

FWIW, there is also 5 (3+ br) homes in that price range available in Chatham, and 2 more that are listed just over 500k, (under 520), that most likely will sell for ~500k

I know the common perception is that unless you have 750+k you'll not find anything in these towns, but that is simply not the case. And while the homes in this price range are not huge, they are well kept and nice, many with updated kitchens/baths.

KoalaNJ
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey