Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2014, 08:03 AM

12,546 posts, read 21,402,201 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
they can take as much of that 401k they want by increasing tax rates in the future. they can means test social security based on your 401k balance, so they will confiscate your social security.
sure. taxes can increase. taxes can decrease. that's always a possibility, but you have accounts that you can save for retirement to account for that risk (ROTH 401k, ROTH IRA, etc). Means testing is often brought up. Entirely possible. Whether you support politicians who want to do that or not...it still would have to be passed into law by Congress and signed by the President. Oh, and it's not "your" social security. People keep thinking that there's some account in social security with your name on it. If the Congress wants to, they could repeal Social Security altogether. Social Security is an anti-poverty program for retirees, and a disability insurance program for disabled workers. If you're counting on it as anything more than that, then you're the dummy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2014, 09:43 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,687,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradykp View Post
If the Congress wants to, they could repeal Social Security altogether. Social Security is an anti-poverty program for retirees, and a disability insurance program for disabled workers. If you're counting on it as anything more than that, then you're the dummy.
im not counting on it. but taking away something that is currently given would be equal to confiscation of that money. but look at you defending it, so they will effectively "confiscate" the $2k a month or whatever it would be and you will defend it and insist that since it was never "guaranteed" that we shouldn't complain if they take it away.

Old 04-02-2014, 09:48 AM

1,743 posts, read 1,658,407 times
Technically speaking , we really shouldnt be taxed for anything...

Old 04-02-2014, 11:05 AM

2,669 posts, read 2,090,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aedubber View Post
Very interesting statement though a bit off topic. I assume you are OK that if we are not taxed on anything, we will not get any government services? In fact the government would not be able to exist at all?

Going back to the original topic, I think the income above 200K is more or less rich in NJ for a family of 3-4 with one or two kids. Not top 1% but top 25% probably... That is only true if you have mortgage on your house or pay rent for a decent apartment.

Old 04-02-2014, 03:17 PM

19,125 posts, read 25,323,648 times
Quote:
So...we shouldn't have police or fire protection, or paved roads, or snow plowing, or a military, or a justice system, or an agency to control the spread of disease, or air traffic control, or...?

Years ago, the people who believed as you do were referred to as anarchists.
What do you call your philosophy?

Old 04-02-2014, 04:57 PM

11,879 posts, read 14,204,961 times
Quote:
Disagree. We should be taxed, but tax money should be used for improvement of essential public services. If some of our politicians were clean instead of horrifically corrupt, then I wouldn't mind paying taxes.

Old 04-02-2014, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adi from the Brunswicks View Post
Disagree. We should be taxed, but tax money should be used for improvement of essential public services. If some of our politicians were clean instead of horrifically corrupt, then I wouldn't mind paying taxes.
Then i dont mind paying a fee for that.

Old 04-02-2014, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
So...we shouldn't have police or fire protection, or paved roads, or snow plowing, or a military, or a justice system, or an agency to control the spread of disease, or air traffic control, or...?

Years ago, the people who believed as you do were referred to as anarchists.
What do you call your philosophy?

Keep telling yourself that..

Old 04-02-2014, 08:04 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,687,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adi from the Brunswicks View Post
nobody bribes politicians to reduce spending. I don't mind paying taxes, its how the politicians spend our money for their benefit and not ours. I didn't look through the details but I hear paul ryan put out a budget that doesn't cut military spending. what a joke. im not voting for someone that's not willing to cut the military.

Old 04-02-2014, 10:08 PM

11,879 posts, read 14,204,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
nobody bribes politicians to reduce spending. I don't mind paying taxes, its how the politicians spend our money for their benefit and not ours. I didn't look through the details but I hear paul ryan put out a budget that doesn't cut military spending. what a joke. im not voting for someone that's not willing to cut the military.
Exactly, like pouring money into supporting facilities for illegal immigrants. They came here without a legal entry path, but get to reap benefits.

That just infuriates legal immigrants like me who toiled through the system for years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey