Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-10-2014, 11:54 AM

19,122 posts, read 25,323,648 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adi from the Brunswicks View Post
A 2012 Mazda 3 skyactiv. Its not my car which will give issues, but the fact that the township just never cleans up our street and does a good job on those right next to me every single time it snows does make me upset. Sorry for ranting, but what I am saying is the truth. I have never seen a truck properly plow my street. They just pass through quickly, do a shabby job, and spend time clearing other streets.
Two suggestions:

• If the Mazda's transmission allows for starting up in second gear, rather in first gear, you will get far less wheel spin. Check the Owner's Manual (the least-read best-seller) to see if you can do 2nd gear start-ups.
  • Place a phone call to your local councilman. If he/she is appropriately responsive to the needs of his/her constituents, your street will be plowed in the future.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
watching people in cars without awd has given me greater appreciation for my suv with awd. it makes a big difference.
+1
I am now driving my 3rd Subaru, and the ability of the superior AWD system to get you through rough conditions is simply amazing. Now that I am retired, I don't have to drive in the worst road conditions anymore, but when I was still working I used a set of 4 Michelin X-Ice tires on my Subie, and the combination of the best AWD system and the best winter tires made for absolutely incredible traction.

You just have to remember that AWD doesn't allow you to defy the laws of physics, so driving in a sane manner is still important in order to stay out of trouble. Unfortunately, the drivers of the overturned Blazers, Explorers, and Jeeps who pass me at incredible speeds during snow events don't seem to get very far before they wind up overturned in a ditch. I can't even count the number of times that I have observed these foolhardy people in a ditch as I motor safely past them a few seconds later.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2014, 11:55 AM

267 posts, read 352,116 times
I follow the Severe NJ blog on FB becauase he has been pretty accurate thus far these past few storms. Also another site posted the European model shortly ago that was like 8-10 inches in most places so it may come in just under a foot. Either way it sucks. I'd happily take 3-5 compared to 8 or more but i'd really rather none.

Also looks like Weather Undergorund did some updating, at least for my area. 1-3inches Wednesday night, 5-8 incjes of snow and ice Thursday day, and 1-3inches of snow and ice Thursday night.

Old 02-11-2014, 04:41 AM

11,879 posts, read 14,204,961 times
Close to a foot of snow predicted for Thursday in my area. How much is in prediction for you.

Thankfully, our road should be given better care from now on. Someone promised to supervise the jobs plows do on our street. Let's see what happens this Thursday with a blizzard approaching.

Last edited by Adi from the Brunswicks; 02-11-2014 at 05:21 AM..

Old 02-11-2014, 07:00 AM

19,122 posts, read 25,323,648 times
I see that the predictions are now calling for 8-11 inches of accumulation, which is more than they were talking about yesterday.
Damn!

Old 02-11-2014, 07:18 AM

267 posts, read 352,116 times
see I knew I wasnt crazy lol. Maybe a foot is what I saw when i posted yesterday

Old 02-11-2014, 10:54 AM

Yet another negative yesterday night, and Negative lows predicted tonight also:

Intellicast - North Brunswick Past Observations Summary in New Jersey (08902)

Old 02-11-2014, 12:10 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,687,864 times
they are just enjoying the reactions from people now when they say more snow. their grand predictions for snow accumulations on Thursday will hit the reality of above freezing temperatures.

Old 02-11-2014, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
they are just enjoying the reactions from people now when they say more snow. their grand predictions for snow accumulations on Thursday will hit the reality of above freezing temperatures.
Snow, followed by sleet, then a switch over to snow again. It can very well snow when the temperature is 35 F.

Old 02-12-2014, 10:16 AM

3,859 posts, read 9,977,196 times
Quote:
Snow, followed by sleet, then a switch over to snow again. It can very well snow when the temperature is 35 F.
Sure it will snow, it will just be heavy wet slop like we had last time-see my other reply to Captain about my snowblower throwing a belt during the last storm. Luckily I have a NAPA close by. I'd take 36" of cold powdery stuff over 6" the wet and heavy snow.

Old 02-12-2014, 10:51 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,687,864 times
Quote:
tomorrow when there is daylight, you will see the magic that a day of rain and 36 degree temperatures can have on snow.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey